cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Not Booting - 00 code no post, 13/14/25 codes etc.

tbendubois
Level 7
Hello again forum,
I've had my Rampage IV since 2011 and it has been RMA-ed, had more support here, now I'm back with more issues. I'm at my wit's end with this thing but let's try to figure out what's happening with it now.

Symptoms:
Started having lockups in Windows a while ago while doing normal tasks, internet, playing games, etc. Would normally boot up fine when starting up again.
Locked up again today a bunch and now it isn't even posting with code 00.
Re-seated the CPU as the CPU LED was on, started it back up and it went into BIOS and froze.
Re-seated again, got a post hangup on 25, and now I can't get anything. Not posting with CPU_LED on and 00 code. Turned slow mode on (not sure what this did) then got hanging on 11, and 14 (CPU Codes)

I've tried resetting CMOS a bunch and got nothing. I'm afraid of it being the CPU but it looks like it is leaning to that - although I don't know the stats of failure of the sandy bridge (i7-3930K) and I have never overclocked the thing and I have had it watercooled with a triple rad - if it has failed I would be supremely surprised.

I'm looking to get a couple recommendations of things to try before I scrap this poor guy. Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks for helping me figure this out.
Edit: going to try to flash earlier bios to rule that out
Edit 2: Did what I assume is flashing bios: downloading and putting onto memory stick, holding link button. It started up and got to the "press f1 to enter setup" but I didn't have keyboard plugged in and it seemed to freeze and reset. Started up again with keyboard plugged in, booted normal but hung on 5A (internal CPU error) and shut off.
I think we are getting closer to the issue...

All signs seem to point to CPU issues - beyond popping another i7-3930 (wow they are expensive) in to troubleshoot, is there anything else I can to do rule more things out? I have a friend with another Rampage IV (suprisingly no issues for him of course!) so I'll try to get it popped in his mobo

Edit 3: Found an issue - 2 bent pins on bottom right of socket. I am ordering a set of things to fix this and I will report back if this was the cause of all the issues.
2 REPLIES 2

Zka17
Level 16
Just to be sure: this system was working fine and then suddenly stopped working, right?
Did you do any changes before the lockups start happening? I mean like: working inside the case, changing/adjusting the CPU cooler, moving the computer, etc...

Could you tell more about your system?

Have you checked the power before started to re-seat the CPU?

tbendubois
Level 7
Guarantee you I've checked everything - started from nothing adding single things back etc. and I either got no post at all or a hang. I didn't do anything to upset the setup inside so we can rule that out for sure. I've had tons of trouble with this motherboard before and we are intimately familiar with one another.

I bent those two pins back a bit (razor blade and a magnifying glass) and now I get a post but hang on code 04 - PCH Initialization before microcode loading. I wonder if perhaps I didn't bend them back into the exact place. I will attempt to get a better bend on them tomorrow.

If you need system details I can give them but I am pretty sure the problem lies with the messed up pins in the mobo. I've got it out breadboarded and will get back to testing tomorrow.