cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANY problems or issues regarding the ASUS ROG G752VS-XS74K OC Edition?

MacLeod
Level 7
I would like to know of ANY problems or issues regarding the ASUS ROG G752VS-XS74K OC Edition?

(There aren't many reviews regarding this model...if any...nor any reported issues I have found other than some display bleed concerns with units from Amazon and one other person on the ROG Forums with an overheating issue.)

Thank you!
There Can Be Only One!
13 REPLIES 13

MacLeod
Level 7
Anyone?
There Can Be Only One!

Clintlgm
Level 14
Search the threads there was quite a bit about over heating with the OC, I think the solution was to remove the OC and that solved the issue, something about Voltage I think search it up for just the G752VS OC Edition.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Search the threads there was quite a bit about over heating with the OC, I think the solution was to remove the OC and that solved the issue, something about Voltage I think search it up for just the G752VS OC Edition.

Searching turns up almost next to nothing for that model as do the reviews. That one seems like it was the last Hoorah for the G752 Chassis before phasing it out and doens't look like they made it into the hands of any mainstream reviewers.

It's my understanding the overheating issue was with the Skylake models(XB78K) and not the KabyLake(XS74K). I would add that when I first booted mine up, CPU-Z and HWINFO both showed the CPU running@2.9Ghz. I didn't stress it to see if that was just running at idle and the OC would kick in once it boosted but it is on my question list once I get my unit back from addressing it's massive BLB issue. Two RMAs with Amazon and now I've gone through Asus since Amazon was out of stock. I won't comment on the customer service experience until I get the laptop back into my possession but it's shaping up to be a far from stellar experience. It would be 10x worse if not for the assistance of Bahz and CL-Albert.
MAIN RIG:
Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 |

I agree, I can't bring up any threads by Dreamonic or G752VS OC Edition?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

First, I want to thank everyone for the input thus far.

I did mention in my post on this thread about being aware of the overheating thread on the forums...thanks anyways.

As for the comments about the overheating however, they should probably be moved to the G752VS-XS74K Overheating Issue thread found here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91620-G752VS-XS74K-Overheating-Issue

Lastly, I was inquiring about OTHER problems or issues found regarding this model (in addition too the above mentioned overheating...but not requesting additional information about the overheating in this thread) because not much is found in the way of this unit (probably due to it being the newer model from this year).

Thank you again for any information regarding my inquiry.
There Can Be Only One!

warryabel
Level 7
i think dreamonic has explanined the oc issue! Has to do with gamecenter and high voltages!

jmike
Level 7
Then overheating aside, like I mentioned I've personally had a terrible time getting a unit with acceptable BLB/IPS Glow. I received a PM from a forum member who said he had the same problem and just gave up trying to get a working one. I know that isn't specific to this exact model since the panel is shared on all the OC editions as well as the G701 but it is something to be aware of. I know it's become the standard for many to just accept it as part of the technology, but that's another argument for a different thread. For me it was showing through regardless of a dark image or light, even turning red into orange.
MAIN RIG:
Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 |

Unhappy to report the following:

As I started up my Brand New ASUS ROG G752VS-XS74K OC Edition system for the first time, I noticed there is really bad bleeding from the display at the bottom...and the worse of it is the bottom corners (left and right...right being even worse).

Thus I am reporting it does appear the problem with the display/screen bleed is a common one with this model.

Also supported by the reviews found on Amazon and other review sites...as well as other threads here in the ASUS ROG Forums.

Unfortunate indeed.
There Can Be Only One!

jmike
Level 7
Yup. Sorry you lost the BLB lottery. From what I've been reading on other sites it's a difficult one to win. I hate to dump more work on Bahz but he's been very helpful and communicative in trying to get my issue resolved so you might try contacting him for assistance. I had already done the return/exchange route through Amazon and in a post I made, Bahz suggested I go through Asus' repair center. That seemed like a good idea at the time as I had depleted Amazon's stock of XS74Ks but seeing how I still don't have a laptop that might not have been a wise decision. Sending my unit to Asus has been met with delays which will likely put me outside of the 30day Amazon refund window.

To be clear. I completely understand IPS glow is the nature of the beast these days. Personally I don't feel it should be but at some point we as consumers allowed panel manufacturers to create this standard through our acceptance of sub par quality. That's another argument for another time and thread. However when the panel even at medium brightness looks like there's two tiny people hidden in the bezel shining flashlights through my screen bright enough that red fades to orange, green fades to yellow and blue fades to purple there's an unacceptable problem that needs to be fixed.

Assuming the G701 and G752VS share the exact same panel then I know it's possible for the panel to be good even great. I have a friend with a G701 purchased before Christmas '16 and it's one of the best I've ever seen. IPS glow is almost non existent and even what little is there is very uniformed. There's absolutely no flashlighting/BLB to speak of. Here's hoping when I get my unit back I'll have something close.
MAIN RIG: