cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Extreme wont shut down completely

erisuzan
Level 7
Hello there, its my first thread here, i ran into an issue lately, let me first post my entire build

Case - Corsair obsidian 900D
MOBO -Asus maximus viii extreme
Ram - Corsair vengeance Led DDR4 3200 32gb
CPU - intel I7 6700k oc 4.6ghz
SSD samsung evo 850 500gb
GPU - MSI GTX1080 gaming X
PSU - Seasonic platinum 1000W
Water cooling - EKWB extreme 360 kit
Windows 10 64 bits

It began when i instaled the new gpu i'd say, first i had another gpu, it was a Radeon R9 390X and i had no problems at all with the system. But now when i ask windows to shut down the computer, it wont shut down completely, the radiator fans attached to the fan extension board (4pin molex powered), leds on the gpu and also the water pump stays on all the time, i left it for a day when i went to work and it stayed on all the time, so its not like its cooling something..

i thought it could a psu wiring, bad contact or something, so i removed all the psu cables and did the cable management again, with no luck, issue persists
tried to update the bios to the last version, reset the cmos, also didnt solved the issue

i also have some case fans that are connected directly to the motherboard, those turn off normally when the computer is shut down but something weird happened, i updated the nvidia drivers and when i turned the computer off those fans also stayed on.. so i did a driver rollback to the older version and when turning the computer off the case fans also turned off.. odly enough looks like it could be related to nvidia drivers..

so idk, i wanted to share it with the comunity, maybe some other folks had the same issue sometime.. specificaly with this motherboard and gpu.. i still cant turn the whole pc off without removing the power cord, which sucks but it wont affect anything else.. so.. meh
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi erisuzan

Welcome to the ROG forum.

There could be a program running in the background preventing windows to shutdown.

Try running "maintenance tasks" and "fix problems with windows update". Also check the windows power options.

How long do you let it go before pulling the plug? Sometimes windows can take a little while to shut down.

If you can't find what's causing it then maybe a fresh windows install will fix it.

Hi Nate, thanks for the reply

that seems unlikely but its also what i got from asus support, im gonna try it on the weekend and lets see what happens
all the information i found about issues like that are from bad drivers from old gtx models, like gtx 6xx series.. so.. yea, lets find out, could be a conflict and a fresh windows install could do the trick

Chino
Level 15

JustinThyme
Level 13
Power settings, balanced power aedvanced settings, reset to default.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hi again, i know i'm super late with this but today i did a fresh windows 10 install and only installed chrome, winrar.. logged with my ms account.. still didnt installed nvidia drivers.. and still no luck, water pump, fans connected to extension board and leds in general just wont turn off when i shut down windows... i dont know, im thinking about trying to use the old gpu and see what happens... its idk, its not the end of the world but it bothers me that something is really malfunctioning...

i had doubts that it could be software related because when i turn the psu switch on, all of those things turn on immediatly, the fans, etc..

bugme-not
Level 7
What BIOS Version do u have? I had the same issue with the Formula Board and Bios 2202. No issue with 1701. Updated today to 3401 and everything is fine again 😉

Ok, so i brought my work desktop to test a few parts and found that the problem was being caused by the PSU, yes.. the seasonic platinum 1000W.
I just instaled an old xfx 650w psu and the computer turns on and off normally. when i turn on the psu switch only the rog logo will light up, so yea.. after i put back the seasonic again it lights up everything connected to the molex pins, leds, fans.. so yea, thats the problem.. i wanted to say thanks for the repplies, in my case it was the damn psu, case closed.