ROG Member Array

G751JY Seeking advice for Thermal Paste replacement and cleaning fans

Hello Fellow Republics!!

I would like to seek your advice if I should consider replacing my Thermal Paste and have the fans cleaned with some service centers near me.

My laptop is G751JY-DH71 bought last nov 2014. So recently I've been playing Ghost Recond Wildlands on High Presets Graphics within Room Temperature of less than 30 degrees Celsius. BTW I'm in philippines.

So here are my average and highest temps while playing.

A/C room off:
    Highest: CPU - 88C, GPU - 83C
    Average: CPU - 83C, GPU - 80C

A/C room on:
    Highest: CPU - *82C, GPU -*79C
    Average: CPU - 78C, GPU - 75C

Also cpu is undervolted using Intel XTU for -30mv.

With those results should I consider having it services? What do you think?

Thank you in advance!*

New ROGer Array

Hi neilzen11 I'm from the Philippines too and considering this as I am also getting the same temps as you. What service centers can we have this done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I'm assuming you have the i7-47**?
    Either way, ALL mobile i7 processors are made to run really hot.
    I was reaching 93*C - CPU / 86*C - GPU. playing Grand Theft Auto 5 until I did THIS...

Navigate to...

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\ *select high performance* & Edit Plan Settings.
    Then click the link near the bottom that says "Change advanced power settings"
    Now, scroll down until you see a (+) sign next to "Processor power management" click the (+) to drop a CPU power menu that will look like this......

-Processor power management
    - minimum processor state
    On Battery: 99%
    Plugged In: 99%
    - System Cooling Policy
    On Battery: Active
    Plugged In: Active
    - Maximum Processor State
    On Battery: 99%
    Plugged In: 99%

By making all numbers 99% I was able to cut 10*C off my regular temperature with a very small, hardly noticeable drop in performance...

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Firstly while I understand your geographicl location, 30C ambient is not conducive to run electronics in, especially when you couple that with what I know is also high humidity. This in and of itself reduces the machines capability to remove heat from the heat sinks. The humidity also will cause dust particles to collect on your heat sinks.

The temps you are seeing are not out of line for this product and the environment its being subjected to. My home stays environmentally controlled 24x7 and the ambient is never above 24C or below 20C with humidity regulated at 50% year round so of course I get much better results.

Disassembling in you case is a moot point. The problems that could be created are not worth any gain you probably wont get. Maybe 1-2 C tops.
    You should be cleaning your machine every few months. if you haven't been then when you look at your environmental conditions its not going to be as easy and blowing the dust out with reverse airflow like I do. If you add anything else to the environment like cooking or smoking the crud is exponentially worse and harder to get off. So in one aspect blowing it out with the service covers removed with reverse air flow will help it may not be enough if its been neglected and may take disassembly. If the latter is the case you may as well order replacement fans and replace them while you have it torn down. Anything you use other than air to clean will strip the lube from the bearings and cause eminent failure and they have a few years on them anyhow.

New ROGer Array Teebow681 PC Specs
    Teebow681 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751jm
    MotherboardG751jm
    Processor4710hq
    Memory (part number)28 gig
    Graphics Card #1Nividia GeForce 860m
    CPU CoolerAirflow
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterArris Panaramic

Cool

I recently repasted my g751jm, i74710hq, Nividia 860m, 28gig Ram, with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Also I cleaned the inside out thoroughly from dust. I cleaned the cpu, gpu, and dual heatsinks with some 2-part cleaner made by artic silver. On just the cpu and gpu, i used the spatula to sparingly, but entirely coat the chips heatsink contact points. On all other contact points I used some generic thermal paste from best buy.
    After a year of use before repasting my cpu temps were 96c-99c everytime i overclocked and benchmarked with xtu. And with default settings, temps were mid 80s. After repasting, with the most extreme settings that are sometimes borderline unstable, i can't get the temp of my cpu above 86c. Mostly I'm getting between 78-82c and getting my highest benchmark scores. And idling at 53c now.
    Last edited by Teebow681; 07-02-2017 at 08:22 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Teebow681 View Post
    I recently repasted my g751jm, i74710hq, Nividia 860m, 28gig Ram, with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Also I cleaned the inside out thoroughly from dust. I cleaned the cpu, gpu, and dual heatsinks with some 2-part cleaner made by artic silver. On just the cpu and gpu, i used the spatula to sparingly, but entirely coat the chips heatsink contact points. On all other contact points I used some generic thermal paste from best buy.
    After a year of use before repasting my cpu temps were 96c-99c everytime i overclocked and benchmarked with xtu. And with default settings, temps were mid 80s. After repasting, with the most extreme settings that are sometimes borderline unstable, i can't get the temp of my cpu above 86c. Mostly I'm getting between 78-82c and getting my highest benchmark scores. And idling at 53c now.
    Is there a guide to follow pasting everything you did? cpu, gpu and heatsink?