cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Seeking advice for Thermal Paste replacement and cleaning fans

neilzen11
Level 7
Hello Fellow Republics!!

I would like to seek your advice if I should consider replacing my Thermal Paste and have the fans cleaned with some service centers near me.

My laptop is G751JY-DH71 bought last nov 2014. So recently I've been playing Ghost Recond Wildlands on High Presets Graphics within Room Temperature of less than 30 degrees Celsius. BTW I'm in philippines.

So here are my average and highest temps while playing.

A/C room off:
Highest: CPU - 88C, GPU - 83C
Average: CPU - 83C, GPU - 80C

A/C room on:
Highest: CPU - *82C, GPU -*79C
Average: CPU - 78C, GPU - 75C

Also cpu is undervolted using Intel XTU for -30mv.

With those results should I consider having it services? What do you think?

Thank you in advance!*
6 REPLIES 6

TheEarlOtMillen
Level 7
Hi neilzen11 I'm from the Philippines too and considering this as I am also getting the same temps as you. What service centers can we have this done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
I'm assuming you have the i7-47**?
Either way, ALL mobile i7 processors are made to run really hot.
I was reaching 93*C - CPU / 86*C - GPU. playing Grand Theft Auto 5 until I did THIS...

Navigate to...

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\ *select high performance* & Edit Plan Settings.
Then click the link near the bottom that says "Change advanced power settings"
Now, scroll down until you see a (+) sign next to "Processor power management" click the (+) to drop a CPU power menu that will look like this......

-Processor power management
- minimum processor state
On Battery: 99%
Plugged In: 99%
- System Cooling Policy
On Battery: Active
Plugged In: Active
- Maximum Processor State

By making all numbers 99% I was able to cut 10*C off my regular temperature with a very small, hardly noticeable drop in performance...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Firstly while I understand your geographicl location, 30C ambient is not conducive to run electronics in, especially when you couple that with what I know is also high humidity. This in and of itself reduces the machines capability to remove heat from the heat sinks. The humidity also will cause dust particles to collect on your heat sinks.

The temps you are seeing are not out of line for this product and the environment its being subjected to. My home stays environmentally controlled 24x7 and the ambient is never above 24C or below 20C with humidity regulated at 50% year round so of course I get much better results.

Disassembling in you case is a moot point. The problems that could be created are not worth any gain you probably wont get. Maybe 1-2 C tops.
You should be cleaning your machine every few months. if you haven't been then when you look at your environmental conditions its not going to be as easy and blowing the dust out with reverse airflow like I do. If you add anything else to the environment like cooking or smoking the crud is exponentially worse and harder to get off. So in one aspect blowing it out with the service covers removed with reverse air flow will help it may not be enough if its been neglected and may take disassembly. If the latter is the case you may as well order replacement fans and replace them while you have it torn down. Anything you use other than air to clean will strip the lube from the bearings and cause eminent failure and they have a few years on them anyhow.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I recently repasted my g751jm, i74710hq, Nividia 860m, 28gig Ram, with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Also I cleaned the inside out thoroughly from dust. I cleaned the cpu, gpu, and dual heatsinks with some 2-part cleaner made by artic silver. On just the cpu and gpu, i used the spatula to sparingly, but entirely coat the chips heatsink contact points. On all other contact points I used some generic thermal paste from best buy.
After a year of use before repasting my cpu temps were 96c-99c everytime i overclocked and benchmarked with xtu. And with default settings, temps were mid 80s. After repasting, with the most extreme settings that are sometimes borderline unstable, i can't get the temp of my cpu above 86c. Mostly I'm getting between 78-82c and getting my highest benchmark scores. And idling at 53c now.

Teebow681 wrote:
I recently repasted my g751jm, i74710hq, Nividia 860m, 28gig Ram, with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Also I cleaned the inside out thoroughly from dust. I cleaned the cpu, gpu, and dual heatsinks with some 2-part cleaner made by artic silver. On just the cpu and gpu, i used the spatula to sparingly, but entirely coat the chips heatsink contact points. On all other contact points I used some generic thermal paste from best buy.
After a year of use before repasting my cpu temps were 96c-99c everytime i overclocked and benchmarked with xtu. And with default settings, temps were mid 80s. After repasting, with the most extreme settings that are sometimes borderline unstable, i can't get the temp of my cpu above 86c. Mostly I'm getting between 78-82c and getting my highest benchmark scores. And idling at 53c now.

Is there a guide to follow pasting everything you did? cpu, gpu and heatsink?

Valak
Level 7
Weirdoutworld wrote:
I'm assuming you have the i7-47**?
Either way, ALL mobile i7 processors are made to run really hot.
I was reaching 93*C - CPU / 86*C - GPU. playing Grand Theft Auto 5 until I did THIS...

Navigate to...

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\ *select high performance* & Edit Plan Settings.
Then click the link near the bottom that says "Change advanced power settings"
Now, scroll down until you see a (+) sign next to "Processor power management" click the (+) to drop a CPU power menu that will look like this......

-Processor power management
- minimum processor state
- System Cooling Policy
On Battery: Active
Plugged In: Active
- Maximum Processor State

By making all numbers 99% I was able to cut 10*C off my regular temperature with a very small, hardly noticeable drop in performance...

Hey, just responding to this answer, 4 years in the future.
This solution didn't just drop my CPU temperature by 10*C, but literally placed it back down into 50~60*C (Before it was always around 80~90)
What kind of magic is this o_o)