cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DUAL-RX480-O8G crashing during gaming/stress test.

pankomputerek
Level 7
Sorry this card isn't strictly ROG.

I have tried 16.x.xx version of the drivers as well as 17.3.1 issue is persistent will crash after about 20-minutes.
Tested with 2 different power supplies, same issue recurring.

Rest of the setup:
Crosshair VI
Ryzen 1800x
Gskill Ripjaws V - 4x 8gb
SM961 ssd

6 REPLIES 6

FuryA
Level 8
hi pankomputerek
There could be a program running / or drivers cause crashing
Try reinstalling driver even new official beta, or try install OS

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi pankomputerek
There could be a program running / or drivers cause crashing
Try reinstalling driver even new official beta, or try install OS

It looks like provided GPU Tweaker was crashing the card. I was running the 'Gaming profile' which was overclocking it reportedly, figured it would be safe and within specifications. I have to underclock the card for it not to cause issues. Not had a crash since. Is the card defective since it can't match the provided profiles?

Update 2: Tried different PSU, no luck. Tried different GPU and no crashing. Looks like I got faulty card.... 😞
The PCIE cables were VERY hot to the touch when I was taking out the GPU.

I have this exact same problem! And Nearly the same setup.Thanks for this trying the GPU tweak thing to see if I can make it last longer.
Did getting replacement card work?

exiskorlan wrote:
I have this exact same problem! And Nearly the same setup.Thanks for this trying the GPU tweak thing to see if I can make it last longer.
Did getting replacement card work?

I'm in the same situation, too. Had to RMA my card and only got it two weeks ago. Arrived at the RMA center Wednesday, 4/12.

Did extensive testing to resolve the issue. Re-seated everything, checked connections, updated motherboard BIOS, uninstalled and fresh installed drivers with DDU, Replaced my PSU to see if the old one was the problem, and it wasn't. No online troubleshooting solved the problems with the crashing error (usually a grey screen)--so I'm positive it's the card.

Also, I bought it off of Newegg, and the past 7 or so reviews have been 1/5 and 2/5, so this is becoming quite an issue for others:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126182

Unfortunately, there are no BIOS updates for this particular card and it's unstable. Some have reported that they received a replacement card to fix the problem, and some went further and said even the replacement was an issue.

Hopefully on the RMA that I currently have in progress--noted as "Material/spare part(s) shortage. Item is on order and/or incoming"--means that it will be replaced with a working model, so I'll let you know what I can when I receive whatever they send back.

Guadalupe wrote:
I'm in the same situation, too. Had to RMA my card and only got it two weeks ago. Arrived at the RMA center Wednesday, 4/12.

Did extensive testing to resolve the issue. Re-seated everything, checked connections, updated motherboard BIOS, uninstalled and fresh installed drivers with DDU, Replaced my PSU to see if the old one was the problem, and it wasn't. No online troubleshooting solved the problems with the crashing error (usually a grey screen)--so I'm positive it's the card.

Also, I bought it off of Newegg, and the past 7 or so reviews have been 1/5 and 2/5, so this is becoming quite an issue for others:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126182

Unfortunately, there are no BIOS updates for this particular card and it's unstable. Some have reported that they received a replacement card to fix the problem, and some went further and said even the replacement was an issue.

Hopefully on the RMA that I currently have in progress--noted as "Material/spare part(s) shortage. Item is on order and/or incoming"--means that it will be replaced with a working model, so I'll let you know what I can when I receive whatever they send back.

Alright, I promised a follow-up, and it's gonna be one of those smug "that's not helpful at all" posts, but it's the state of the ASUS rx480 across the board right now:

The RMA processed fully in JUST under 1 months' time. I received an offer for an upgrade replacement, an ASUS Strix 1060-6G-Gaming card. So, it took going from AMD to Nvidia for the "fix" to occur. The best bet with the rx480 from ASUS is an RMA--unfortunately for right now. And from the response I've been seeing with just a replacement has been negative, as well.

Sorry if it's not any help, but it seems they're getting quite a few of these back in the RMA center.