cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Asus rog g752vs-xs74k storage?

bigoldbrat
Level 8
I recently purchased this overclock edition. Trying to think of options to add more storage, I'm already using 75% of the data drive for games and limit the SDD system drive to system related programs. As far as I can tell there are only 2 SSD slots which are taken for the raid 0 and only on slot for the 1TB drive installed. I really don't want to switch out these.
Is it possible to change out the optical drive for a hard drive (can't recall last time I used a DVD) if not how bad would transfer rates be with an external HD on TB3/USB3?
Newbie to laptop gaming, finally ditched my old home built desktop. Please be kind to me if this is a stupid question.
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes well you could increase the size of your 2 M.2 SSD I'm guessing you have two 256gb SSD?
Most likely you could use one for your OS 256GB is more than enough for OS and a few programs that would leave you with an empty m.2 slot I think there only up to 1 tb with the m.2 SSD's
your single SATA 111 slot I think they are up to 2 TB hard drive that will still fit there.
They do make conversion adapters to replace the Optical Drive I don't have the details of which one you need but most people get them on ebay, I'm also not sure whether the optical post is SATA 1.5 I think but could be SATA 11 either one is more than fast enough for data storage. so you could get another 2TB there.
l
I haven't tried anything TB yet. I have several USB 3.0 external 2.5 format hard drives with quick hard drives in them they'll get 90 to 120 mbs speeds nearly as fast a the same hard drive will do internally. I've had pretty good luck with WD Passport 2 TB USB 3.0 external drives.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the response Clintlgm.
Sounds like the easiest and quickest way would be the external drive.
Found WD 4TB My Passport for 115$.

Yea I see Amazon has them for that price too. This is the largest I have seen in this format size. I'll have to pick one up myself, that way I'll only need to carry 1 instead of the 2 I now carry around.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Another thing to watch out for with External's there are issues with the Left side ports for some people a lot of them, will experienced drop off while transferring large files. I work around that by using a right angle USB 3.0 cable to 4 port USB 3.0 hub or if you don't need a hub the right angle extension cable unclutters the right side of your notebook is you use a Bluetooth mouse the little bud fits in the rear port and Right angle cable goes right over it. For a clutter free mouse area on the right side.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the heads up. I've used my 1 TB passport a few times on the left side but not extensively without issues.

Ancients
Level 10
If you have an optical drive and don't plan on using it, I would recommend swapping that out for a drive bay insert. That is what I did for my g752VT last year and I haven't kicked myself over the decision to do so yet. It has some pros and cons over an external hard drive. The pros are that it is always there and ready to go, and you get full SATA III speed if you go that way. I have an 850 EVO in my former optical drive that gets ~550MB/s Read and ~530Mb/s Write speeds. The downside is that if you go with an hdd it can have a bit of an extra drain on your battery and you can't swap files from multiple computers as easily. If it is like the G752VT you'll need the 12.7mm optical drive caddy.