cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula IX, AURA, and Strix 1080 Problems

Storto
Level 7
So here's my Problem,*
If I cold start my machine (2+ hours) my GPU is not recognized in the bios/ EUFI or by Windows 10 (64bit). I can restart and restart, and it's like the GPU is not connected. Once the GPU is recognized, it's good until the machine sets off or sleep for (2+ hours).

I get mixed results if I reseat the card. Sometimes it will recognize the GPU sometimes it won't. *Because of this I bought a PCIe Extender (25cm) thinking maybe something was wrong with the PCIe Slot or the PCIe connectors on the GPU, If I plug the card into either PCIe slot the symptoms do not change.

Here's where it gets weird, I noticed that the AURA lighting controls would reset (go black) whenever the machine would start and not recognize the GPU. If I set up the AURA lighting, then Shut down the machine, and use the power button to start the machine, the GPU gets recognized. AURA resets again, but now I can restart or shut down and power up, everything is all good, until I cold start again.

Iv'e tested the PSU and it tests good. I can't figure this out. I'm thinking it's the motherboard, but I'm open to suggestions, I have 2 weeks to return it to Amazon.

Here is a list of system Equipment:
ASUS ROG Formula IX (Bios version *0801)
ASUS ROG Strix 1080 AG
Intel 7700k
Corsair Dominator 3200 32GB
Corsair RM1000x
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2
Hardline Liquid cooled with EKWB EVO and EK-FC1080 GTX Strix. runs between 22C - 46C (under heavy load)
Windows 10 (64bit)
10 REPLIES 10

Storto
Level 7
I have read though all of the Z270 posts. There does seem to be an issue with cold starts. Has this been addressed/solved? I'd hate to waste Amazon's time, and my time returning this board because of a needed Bios update, or something that can be fixed.

So further troubleshooting has revealed that Aura has nothing to do with the GPU not being recognized, I do have to shut down the computer completely until turn off the PSU and wait for the motherboard LED light to go out before starting the machine.**
Today after a complete shutdown I turned off the PSU and unplugged it. GPU was recognized on boot.
I guess tomorrow, I'll try the restart without unplugging the PSU. Unless someone here thinks there is a better course of action.
I'm so frustrated, I used to build my own PC's from around 1994 to 2006. I switched to Apple and have been very happy with dual booting operating systems. But VR has Higher requirements that Apple just can't hit. So I thought I'd give a PC a try again.

PS. I'd like to put a baseball bat through the entire rig and call it a day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chino wrote:
See if you can test your system with another PSU.

I'll have to buy one, I'm OK with it, if it fixes the problem. I Hope it does.

I keep thinking to myself that a Bios update will fix it, but I know there are people out there with the same equipment, and no problems. Very frustrating.

Thank you for the reply

Chino wrote:
See if you can test your system with another PSU.

Well Just received a brand new HX1000i today...No luck. same results, it looks like the only thing left to swap is the GPU. Ugh

Just in case someone else has this problem here is an update:
Thinking that I'm going to have to bring the video card somewhere to get it tested, I put the stock cooler back on it. Just for Sh@ts and giggles I reconfigured my cooling loop for cpu and motherboard cooling only, and plugged in the card. It worked first time. I spent the last two days troubleshooting the card, waiting 2 hours, 5 hours, and overnight, starting the system. I haven't had a problem at all.
Today I saw on Reddit another person had a similar problem. It seems there may be an issue with the EKWB backplate. I reinstalled my water block, but this time I put plastic washers in between the backplate and the board. I've been testing the system for a couple of hours, so far so good.

I'll update again in a couple of days.

Thanks to all for the help.*

3 days of testing, running great. It definitely was the Video Card (ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Strix) and the EK-FC-1080 Backplate. So if your video card is intermittently posting and your using the EKWB Waterblock, put the plastic washers in between the backplate and the board.

chevell65
Level 12
The few times I've had this problem replacing the GPU seemed to be the only fix. Do you have another GPU you can try just to see if it boots up consistently?

chevell65 wrote:
The few times I've had this problem replacing the GPU seemed to be the only fix. Do you have another GPU you can try just to see if it boots up consistently?

I don't have another GPU. I hope that's not the problem, I have a water block on it. O_o. I'm thinking of bringing it somewhere to have it tested.