cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 960m ASUS RoG laptop w/ Dual Monitors

Slip_Gaming
Level 7
I have a RoG asus laptop that has 2.6 cpu, 4gig nvidia 960m gpu, 16gb ram, 128ssd, 1TB HDD.

I need to know if it's safe to run dual monitors off the HDMI port while I stream playing wow & csgo on my main monitor and have my cpu/twitch/temps/chrome open on my 2nd monitor. Also what would be the best settings.

Another thing I thought of, but don't know if it's possible is can I run my 2nd monitor off my integrated graphics rather than my GPU, would split the load and be a lot more efficient. I really need a dual monitor for streaming on twitch, any help is appreciated - Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

jtchrome
Level 7
I'm not a pro but what i know for our line of laptops is that the 960 graphics card is "dedicated" and would normally kick in when you (1) plug in your laptop (2) manually switch to the dedicated graphics card (3) are running a program that the integrated card just can't handle. Since the graphics card usage "switches" to the dedicated card, instead of sharing the load between the two, I'm guessing that you can't use both cards together. That might require bridging ( which we can't do on the laptop). I was also thinking that, if it were possible to do what you are suggesting, the integrated graphics card may not be able to handle the work load.
This is just my thought. Not sure if I'm right.

Well, thank you for the input. I understand it's probably not possible to split the load.

My main question is still.. will I be able to twitch/youtube/chrome on one monitor, and game on my other monitor off of a GTX 960m. I don't want to fry my hardware.. also what are safe temps or guidelines I should be going by.. I'm new to dual monitors. Thanks.

Ancients
Level 10
Yeah, it is safe. Just make sure your temperatures stay within an area you consider safe. As for splitting the load between a dedicated and integrated GPU, I believe that the integrated graphics are disabled in the ROG lines and are left to the dedicated graphics only.

What are safe temps on CPU/GPU/MOBO? As I said I'm new to this stuff!

Slip_Gaming wrote:
What are safe temps on CPU/GPU/MOBO? As I said I'm new to this stuff!

It depends on what you are comfortable with. There are people that say anything that isn't thermal throttling is fine, even if the CPU is running in the mid 90s, which if you're running dual screens and streaming a game, are likely to be what you'll see. Try to keep an eye on the CPU to make sure it doesn't go too far above 85-90 and the GPU to see if it goes above 85 or so.

I would also recommend setting both monitors to 1280x720 and streaming in 720p to reduce the load on your laptop.

Ancients wrote:
I would also recommend setting both monitors to 1280x720 and streaming in 720p to reduce the load on your laptop.

This. Twitch streams at a relatively low/middling bitrate anyway so if you want to use a higher framerate you have to drop resolution. 720p60 is as good as it gets for something like CSGO.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Okay, so playing CSGO & running dual monitor, my extra monitor (the one plugged into the HDMI).. my motherboard was around 90 degrees C, and my CPU was around 86-89 degrees C. Are you absolutely sure this is okay? I haven't even tested streaming yet, and to be honest I'm scared.. was the laptop built to sustain these temps?

Ancients wrote:
It depends on what you are comfortable with. There are people that say anything that isn't thermal throttling is fine, even if the CPU is running in the mid 90s, which if you're running dual screens and streaming a game, are likely to be what you'll see. Try to keep an eye on the CPU to make sure it doesn't go too far above 85-90 and the GPU to see if it goes above 85 or so.

Is my temps ok if my CPU occasionaly spikes to 91-93C but generally averages at 86c?

This happens when playing watch dogs 2 at 1080p high settings. When rendering from Cinema4D my temps generally are at 77-80c for the cpu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xeromist
Well, the components are designed to throttle when they reach temperatures that are considered unsafe by the people who designed them. If you believe them then it's not possible to damage components simply by working them hard. Long term you *may* reduce the useful life of the components but usually that doesn't mean much when most people upgrade before the components die anyway.

If you haven't already it might help to prop up the machine so that air can flow all around it for optimal cooling. You don't even need a cooling pad as anything lying around can lift up the back a little.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…