Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array LaserJudas PC Specs
    LaserJudas PC Specs
    MotherboardH170
    Processori7 6700
    Graphics Card #1Asus Turbo GTX 1080

ROG G20CB with 1080, loud as hell

Hi there,
    I am a proud owner of not one, but TWO Rog G20-models. One AJ and one CB-model.
    Both with i7:s, a 4790 and a 6700. I have a minor issue though and it's that the CB-model is WAAAAAY louder than the 4970.

I have installed an ASUS 1080 Turbo (yes, i know it lacks a backplate) and an M.2-disk plus a Samsung 850 Pro in the newer model (G20CB). What concerns me though is that it is RATHER loud compared to my AJ-model.

When running Overwatch in 144 Hz, 2560x1080 in ultra settings it sounds like a jetplane. Both chassie and cpu fan is running way over 3000 rpm and the GPU is around 2700 rpm. I have measured dB and its around 48-56 dB. Compared to around 30 dB at idle.

When I put the 1080 in my 4 year old machine it runs at a much lower 2300 rpm (all three fans). Why is this? Is the 6700 so much hotter due to a smaller die/lower nano count or is it something else? I have put on the best thermal paste there is (arctic cool) but CPU still runs at 60C at full load. Almost 70C when I run stress tests with CPU-Z. I guess its OK since the 6700 doesnt start to thermal throttle until around 80-90C.

Is this a flaw machine or is it common that it roars like this? There is a stock machine with a 1080 GTX, but I havent tried it (it has the same card as I installed). How loud is that machine? Anyone here that has tried it?

I can post a Youtube-video tonight with the machine running at full load.

Please help me with feedback

/K

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chilinmichael's Avatar

I think I found your video card, this is a "reference style" model that has blower-style fan that shoots the air out the back of the PC, correct? If not, that's your issue.

Far as the PC screaming away, even when I put my CB under load, you can hear the fans but it's not horrendous. Can't say I used a db meter on it (don't have one) but any game at reasonable volume drowns it out.
    Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

LaserJudas PC Specs
    MotherboardH170
    Processori7 6700

Yep, its a read blower model. Ofcause.
    But what is confusing me most is that I have tried both a 1070 (founders edition) and a 1080 and I have installed them both in the AJ-model with the 4970.
    And that machine is dead quiet.
    Is the 6700 running so much hotter?
    /Klaus

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by LaserJudas View Post
    Yep, its a read blower model. Ofcause.
    But what is confusing me most is that I have tried both a 1070 (founders edition) and a 1080 and I have installed them both in the AJ-model with the 4970.
    And that machine is dead quiet.
    Is the 6700 running so much hotter?
    /Klaus
    artic cool is not the best thermal paste

personally I like to use Gelid GC extreme

also your M.2 is probably the cause as they have been known to get over 100c when in use

LaserJudas PC Specs
    MotherboardH170
    Processori7 6700

Quote Originally Posted by Asus11 View Post
    artic cool is not the best thermal paste

personally I like to use Gelid GC extreme

also your M.2 is probably the cause as they have been known to get over 100c when in use
    That might be a valid point. The fan speeds went up very much after installing it.

Artic is good though, have been using it for many machines now. I am about to sell both machines and build a AMd Ryzen 1800x build instead. Very interested in that new platform.

/K

I've read about the M2 causing heat as well in a few posts here, very concerning as I had planned to eventually get a 960Pro Samsung 512GB and put that as my primary. If it's causing heat buildup nearby a sensor that certainly could be it...
    Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

LaserJudas PC Specs
    MotherboardH170
    Processori7 6700

Unfortunately Speccy and other diagnostics programs can not read the temp of the M.2-disk. Darn. Well, I guess I just have to live with that the computer is a bit noisy. I mean, 6700 and a 1080-card is bound to generate a lot of heat and in such a small case I guess iI just have to live with it.

A little bit sad though since the G20AJ is som much more quiet. It seldom exceeds 30 dB even at full load.

/Klaus

Though it would be interesting to see the temp of the disk itself, I'd be more interested on it's impact on the MB temps/CPU temps. I'd think more likely MB though, that sensor probably triggers fan throttling.

LaserJudas PC Specs
    MotherboardH170
    Processori7 6700

Looks like it.
    I just did some extensive testing with CPU-Z where I stresstested the CPU for 2 minutes. I tested both the AJ-model and the CB-model.

Here are the results:

CB-model:
    8200 point in test
    63 C at full load after 2 minutes
    3300 fan speed both on the CPU and chassi fan

AJ-model
    7200 points in test
    59 C at full load after 2 minutes
    1900 CPU fan speed and 1400 at chassi fan.

There is A VERY big difference in fan speeds (and therefore sound level) between the two models. Is there anyone else that can do this test? Just download the CPU-Z application and run it for 2 minutes and check speeds in Aegis?

I wonder if it is so that the heatsink/cooler is better on the AJ-model (but it looks exacly the same). I am thinking about switching the two and see if there is a difference, and also put on even more cooler paste to see if it impacts the heat.

/Klaus

Better thermal paste, not more. You want an even, thin layer. Arctic Silver 5.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast