cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20CB with 1080, loud as hell

LaserJudas
Level 7
Hi there,
I am a proud owner of not one, but TWO Rog G20-models. One AJ and one CB-model.
Both with i7:s, a 4790 and a 6700. I have a minor issue though and it's that the CB-model is WAAAAAY louder than the 4970.

I have installed an ASUS 1080 Turbo (yes, i know it lacks a backplate) and an M.2-disk plus a Samsung 850 Pro in the newer model (G20CB). What concerns me though is that it is RATHER loud compared to my AJ-model.

When running Overwatch in 144 Hz, 2560x1080 in ultra settings it sounds like a jetplane. Both chassie and cpu fan is running way over 3000 rpm and the GPU is around 2700 rpm. I have measured dB and its around 48-56 dB. Compared to around 30 dB at idle.

When I put the 1080 in my 4 year old machine it runs at a much lower 2300 rpm (all three fans). Why is this? Is the 6700 so much hotter due to a smaller die/lower nano count or is it something else? I have put on the best thermal paste there is (arctic cool) but CPU still runs at 60C at full load. Almost 70C when I run stress tests with CPU-Z. I guess its OK since the 6700 doesnt start to thermal throttle until around 80-90C.

Is this a flaw machine or is it common that it roars like this? There is a stock machine with a 1080 GTX, but I havent tried it (it has the same card as I installed). How loud is that machine? Anyone here that has tried it?

I can post a Youtube-video tonight with the machine running at full load.

Please help me with feedback

/K
11 REPLIES 11

chilinmichael
Level 10
I think I found your video card, this is a "reference style" model that has blower-style fan that shoots the air out the back of the PC, correct? If not, that's your issue.

Far as the PC screaming away, even when I put my CB under load, you can hear the fans but it's not horrendous. Can't say I used a db meter on it (don't have one) but any game at reasonable volume drowns it out.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Yep, its a read blower model. Ofcause.
But what is confusing me most is that I have tried both a 1070 (founders edition) and a 1080 and I have installed them both in the AJ-model with the 4970.
And that machine is dead quiet.
Is the 6700 running so much hotter?
/Klaus

LaserJudas wrote:
Yep, its a read blower model. Ofcause.
But what is confusing me most is that I have tried both a 1070 (founders edition) and a 1080 and I have installed them both in the AJ-model with the 4970.
And that machine is dead quiet.
Is the 6700 running so much hotter?
/Klaus

artic cool is not the best thermal paste

personally I like to use Gelid GC extreme

also your M.2 is probably the cause as they have been known to get over 100c when in use

Asus11 wrote:
artic cool is not the best thermal paste

personally I like to use Gelid GC extreme

also your M.2 is probably the cause as they have been known to get over 100c when in use

That might be a valid point. The fan speeds went up very much after installing it.

Artic is good though, have been using it for many machines now. I am about to sell both machines and build a AMd Ryzen 1800x build instead. Very interested in that new platform.

/K

chilinmichael
Level 10
I've read about the M2 causing heat as well in a few posts here, very concerning as I had planned to eventually get a 960Pro Samsung 512GB and put that as my primary. If it's causing heat buildup nearby a sensor that certainly could be it...
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Unfortunately Speccy and other diagnostics programs can not read the temp of the M.2-disk. Darn. Well, I guess I just have to live with that the computer is a bit noisy. I mean, 6700 and a 1080-card is bound to generate a lot of heat and in such a small case I guess iI just have to live with it.

A little bit sad though since the G20AJ is som much more quiet. It seldom exceeds 30 dB even at full load.

/Klaus

chilinmichael
Level 10
Though it would be interesting to see the temp of the disk itself, I'd be more interested on it's impact on the MB temps/CPU temps. I'd think more likely MB though, that sensor probably triggers fan throttling.

Looks like it.
I just did some extensive testing with CPU-Z where I stresstested the CPU for 2 minutes. I tested both the AJ-model and the CB-model.

Here are the results:

CB-model:
8200 point in test
63 C at full load after 2 minutes
3300 fan speed both on the CPU and chassi fan

AJ-model
7200 points in test
59 C at full load after 2 minutes
1900 CPU fan speed and 1400 at chassi fan.

There is A VERY big difference in fan speeds (and therefore sound level) between the two models. Is there anyone else that can do this test? Just download the CPU-Z application and run it for 2 minutes and check speeds in Aegis?

I wonder if it is so that the heatsink/cooler is better on the AJ-model (but it looks exacly the same). I am thinking about switching the two and see if there is a difference, and also put on even more cooler paste to see if it impacts the heat.

/Klaus

chilinmichael
Level 10
Better thermal paste, not more. You want an even, thin layer. Arctic Silver 5.