cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issues running at 3200mhz

Upgrade01
Level 7
Hey Everyone,

I just want to know if any else is having issues trying to run their memory at 3200mhz or higher? At first I was running memory that wasn't not on the QVL decided to purchase some Corsair Dominators 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 which is currently on the QVL for 3200mhz. I can seem to get 2666mhz but nothing higher. The system ends up power cycling 4-5 times before getting stuck on the Q-code 0d and nothing will fix it other than doing a BIOS re-flash. System is super stable at 2666mhz but since i paid the money for the memory I would love it run it at what it is designed for.

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

MNMadman
Level 8
Immature Ryzen/AM4 platform is not ready for full RAM speeds. You will need to wait for future BIOS updates to enable full speed. It will likely be many months for full compatibility and stability.

MNMadman wrote:
Immature Ryzen/AM4 platform is not ready for full RAM speeds. You will need to wait for future BIOS updates to enable full speed. It will likely be many months for full compatibility and stability.

That is what I was thinking but it appears that some people are able to achieve these speeds which they probably just got lucky. Also, I have been hearing about AM4 cpu coolers being mounted too tight could causing some weird issues. Is this a true?

Upgrade01 wrote:
That is what I was thinking but it appears that some people are able to achieve these speeds which they probably just got lucky. Also, I have been hearing about AM4 cpu coolers being mounted too tight could causing some weird issues. Is this a true?

The people that are getting lucky tend to have memory sticks with Samsung B memory chips. They also tend to have two 8GB sticks.

If you have more than two sticks or they don't have Samsung B memory chips, the speeds tend to be lower.

AMD will be releasing a big update to the board manufacturers in May that will have more stability and compatibility. Normal BIOS updates before then will also help.

You can try these settings:
Make sure DRAM voltage is 1.35v.
Make sure DRAM Boot (bottom setting in DIgi+ menu) is 1.35v.
Raise SOC -- might need 1.1v or so. Don't go over 1.2v.
Raise VTTDDR (first setting in Tweaker's Paradise) to 0.80520 or the next notch higher.
Use the DDR4-2933 or DDR4-3200 setting.

If those don't work, you'll have to settle for a lower speed and wait for future BIOS updates on this new and immature platform.

Keep in mind all DDR4 ram are actually clocked at 2133 mhz, the 3200 mhz on your ram is the top speed your ram can overclock to.
It is a issue all AM4 motherboards have, not just X370 Asus Boards.
I say you have to wait till driver and bios updates come in before you can use your ram at it's full potential.

i'm running my ram at 3200 mhz atm, all seem to be stable and all.
My ram can go up to 3600 mhz have fiddeld with it in the bios and tried overclocking it but with no succes so far!
i'm usig the g.skill trident z rgb with the following timing 16-16-16-16-36

Decoman
Level 7
@jbasemoine

What is your SOC voltage? (iirc, I read that it is supposed to be as low as possible, and not higher than 1.20V with current bios', because it makes things hot)

And how many sticks are you using for that ram overlock of yours?

Decoman wrote:
@jbasemoine

What is your SOC voltage? (iirc, I read that it is supposed to be as low as possible, and not higher than 1.20V with current bios', because it makes things hot)

And how many sticks are you using for that ram overlock of yours?

I'm not 100% sure will check this later tonight, but i beleive it's 1.18V but i might be mistaken.
Any way even if i'm wrong and it's more then 1.20V my whole system is verry cool even on full load or demanding games, the CPU is the only thing that really gets hot (but got good cooling :P) i believe my cpu hasn't risen above 68 degrees celcius after 3 hours of total war warhammer on Ultra settings

I've found that setting the dram voltage to specced e.g. 1.35 manually in the EFI has made getting to 3200 a sinch.635440