HI guys

been a long time since I been on this forums

but I have a few questions on the G20GB - UK007T

the specs are

i7-6700
12gb ram
gtx 950
1tb HD

so the question is I've bought a gtx 1070 Founders edition reference cooler design and want to use this

There was only one Power Supply supplied with my unit ( 230w ) also a small cable in the box for a GPU power plug

I wanted to ask if it would be okay with a 1070? as im not 100% sure on the design on the G20 as 230w seems very little to power it all.. so I wondered if there was another PSU inside the unit giving it more power? or do I have to purchase an extra PSU i.e 180w? I have seen people say this one works im not 100% sure though - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-180w-ac-adapter-power-pack-plus-uk-power-cord-for-gt-series-gami...

look forward to your help

😮
5 REPLIES 5

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
Yes you can run i7 6700 & gtx 1070 with a single 230watt adapter, but for best stability & performance you need to get additional 180watt power brick, make sure you switch the power jumper in the motherboard if you want to use 2 adapter.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
Yes you can run i7 6700 & gtx 1070 with a single 230watt adapter, but for best stability & performance you need to get additional 180watt power brick, make sure you switch the power jumper in the motherboard if you want to use 2 adapter.

you sure? mine wont power up with 1 ac adapter.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Announcement wrote:

fyi.

Depending on the video card installed from the ASUS factory, there can be some G20CB models that use just the 180W adapter, just the 230W adapter, or both 180W and 230W adapters (for the higher end video cards) which apparently use different jumper settings on the motherboard to use different combinations of adapters.
I'm actually not very familiar with the jumper settings myself, but others may have posted information about it.

If a customer happens to have the G20CB model and video card that only requires the 230W adapter, it might be possible to run a replacement video card with just the 230W adapter, but really don't have more information about running the GTX 1070 with just the 230W adapter on my end, so we may want to wait for feedback from more customers.

Exepect it would be better to run any higher-end video cards with 2 adapters though.

Announcement wrote:

won`t power up means yours are set to use 2 adapter, the 180w for the cpu dan 230w for the gpu. You need to set up the jumper to make whole system to use 1 adapter, if not it won`t power up.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
won`t power up means yours are set to use 2 adapter, the 180w for the cpu dan 230w for the gpu. You need to set up the jumper to make whole system to use 1 adapter, if not it won`t power up.

But how can u set up the jumper?when you cant see the jdc11? i can only see jdc1-5 jacks. and when i open it all 5 jacks was on the upper way. still the 230watts is warming not the other one.And btw, how can really know if the power is open?when both are warm?