Page 42 of 268 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    Look asus. We need an actual stable bios release for this board with the current agesa. Using this board in this state having to hover over my reset switch and constantly press it until it boots or having to clear the bios and start again over a month after product releases really isnt ok and not "asus quality"*
    People ARE buying ryzen, it IS a product worth supporting. *I understand intel is your bread and butter products but get some freakin bios engineers on this. Seriously. Make my product work.*
    Hello

The board works fine when considering the limitations imposed by the code AMD has so far released. Perhaps put a bit more work in stability testing with current realistic settings and less energy in those suicide HWBot screenshots you are so proud of.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Actually it isnt working fine. Even at "realistic settings" or even near stock settings the board will lock up at boot. F9. Reinstalling windows and installing all the updates and drivers is a complete pain as every 5th restart the board locks up at f9 and i have to clear the cmos, reset settings, reboot and good to go for another 5 retarts. Every once in a while you can save the settings by continually pressing restart over and over and the board will boot.
    Im not new to PCs or asus hardware obviously as you can tell from the vast array of "suicidal" screen shots i have from asus boards as early as my black pearl on hwbot and way back to socket 7.
    Im not some noob who doesnt know how hardware is supposed to work.*
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3930k @5.1ghz
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10 @ 2400Mhz 9-11-11-31 1T
    Power color Radeon HD 7990 Flashed to Devil 13
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

ROG Guru: White Belt Array eight-bit PC Specs
    eight-bit PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)RoG Strix GL502VS-DB71
    MotherboardRoG Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1800X
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB
    MonitorHP 25BW 25"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar RGB
    Headset SoundBlaster WoW Wireless Headset
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X-140
    OS Windows 10 Pro Creators Edition
    Accessory #1 NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 USB Hub

And your post history shows you trying to push for mem @ 3600Mhz... So please enlighten us as to your "realistic settings".

Obviously inflection is difficult to interpret through text, but I sincerely doubt you'll find many going out of their way to help with the tone you SEEM to be taking, and implying that anyone called you a noob, etc. I scrolled back, no one did.

In any case, without knowing what your current config is, no one can offer any real advice anyway.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Let me put a word in here that plants me squarely in both camps, lol.

First off, "Devil's Advocate": ASUS, ASRock and everyone else got handed the ****ty end of the stick. Unlike Intel mobos which have each been derivative of the previous generations technology and benefitting from previous development, in this case it's a whole new chip. Additionally, AMD pushed the release too far up IMO, and did not allow sufficient time for even their OWN development. Hence the "AGESA Dance" we are all doing.

That said, the board does not work as advertised and no one can say otherwise. With diligence one gets a very nice system and I love this mobo, the VRM design (look up Buildzoid's stuff on GamersNexus on YouTube) and the BIOS actually for all it's problems doesn't suck as much as the ASRock one does. ASUS has a reputation to live up to and right now it is a bit tarnished -- but I've not lost my respect for what was done in a VERY short development time. I appreciate this as an engineer.

Now, mainly I do automation software design and the last board-level product I designed was based on an Intel 8051 microcontroller so I'm not up to date on board design. But what I can say is I think they did a good job DESPITE the obvious problems. I do think they'll be solved.

One of the biggest problems is DDR4 memory. Now contrary to popular belief this is not your grandfathers DDR. It's not just faster DDR3. The technology has changed enough that a whole slew of adaptive techniques are apparently required to make it work. Those techniques are in AMD's domain, NOT ASUS, because they primarily revolve around the SOC IMC system and not the motherboard design.

Name me an AMD processor that used DDR4 prior to Ryzen? Anybody, anybody? Bueller? Okay. Let's think about that.

Intel has been dealing with DDR4 for some time now. They have their game together and each generation's CPU's and chipsets are derivative of the previous family. That's Inte's strength AND weakness. It gives them continuity and quick design process but it stands in the way of "real" innovation. Innovation is another word for "live at the office and hope you don't get an ulcer or fired". Development teams sweat blood and to some extent that's why it's called the "bleeding edge".

Ryzen may not appear "radical" -- but from a design point of view and in relation to AMD it IS. It incorporates technologies that they are using for the first time in a mass product and it was BOUND to have problems. Frankly, I'm very impressed at how well this has gone. But, years of engineering problem projects that had to be nursed back to health has perhaps made me a pessimist, lol.

So, to sum up. There is every reason to complain. There is also every reason to hope and have faith. Let's bring the two together and say, "Some of this just sucks, but it's getting better." Nobody likes what isn't working (like my RGB system!) but we've seen enough out of ASUS in my opinion to have faith. Ditto AMD.

My well-tempered rant is over. If you like, please resume bickering...
    Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

eight-bit PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1800X
    MonitorHP 25BW 25"
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i

Just to throw it out there, do you have another 1800X you can test with, or borrow one to test with? After going through your HWBot profile, that chip has been pushed pretty hard. 4.2Ghz for over a month with voltages ranging from 1.570 to 1.591, I really wouldn't be surprised if you have some significant degradation going on. I mean there's a possibility that you hit the silicon lottery jackpot, but those are numbers that would put most of our 1800X's up in smoke.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The 3600 ram works perfectly. It lowers my pcie to 2.0 but it isnt an issue. I also run the ram at 3200 when not benchmarking and that ALSO *works perfectly. Ive also had the same issue occur*after a fresh restart at 2133. It doesnt appear to be tied to ram speed. Also the ONLY formula that seems to work to not immediatly F9 on boot is to get into bios, change ram speed to 3200 and add ram voltage, reboot, *change ram timings, reboot, change FSB, reboot, change cpu multiplier and any other settings you desire and reboot.

Doing this out of order in any way immediatly causes it to fail at F9 and you have to start the process all over again. This is amazingly annoying to have to do every 5 or 6 restarts.

After my rampage III black, rampage iv extreme, rampage Iv black, z87 impact, and rampage V extreme my expectations for Asus *are very high as they have been my go to company for the highest performing and most reliable products.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3930k @5.1ghz
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by eight-bit View Post
    Just to throw it out there, do you have another 1800X you can test with, or borrow one to test with? After going through your HWBot profile, that chip has been pushed pretty hard. 4.2Ghz for over a month with voltages ranging from 1.570 to 1.591, I really wouldn't be surprised if you have some significant degradation going on. I mean there's a possibility that you hit the silicon lottery jackpot, but those are numbers that would put most of our 1800X's up in smoke.
    Board has acted the same since it was new and is recreatable with a 1700
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3930k @5.1ghz
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

eight-bit PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1800X
    MonitorHP 25BW 25"
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i

Board has acted the same since it was new and is recreatable with a 1700
    If the problem is bound to the board, I would try to RMA it, but FWIW that 1700 got the brakes beat off it too, all those SS show 1.570V. AMD's recommendation, specifically to avoid degradation is 1.35V

ROG Enthusiast Array

You think its going to degrade it after a week of bemchmarking under water?

Look all im saying is the bar needs to be raised on this. Its been long enough to not have these bios still as buggy as they are regardless of ram multipliers.*
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3930k @5.1ghz
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

eight-bit PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1800X
    MonitorHP 25BW 25"
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i

You think its going to degrade it after a week of bemchmarking under water?

Look all im saying is the bar needs to be raised on this. Its been long enough to not have these bios still as buggy as they are regardless of ram multipliers.*
    Oh most definitely. Voltage alone can kill a chip just as quick as heat. The unfortunate part here is that this species hasn't been in the wild long enough to have hard numbers on what the vast majority of them can handle. And trying to keep up with numbers put up by some of the initial reviewers isn't realistic since it has already been confirmed that they had no silicon lottery to deal with, that the chips sent out for review were hand picked as the ones that binned the best.

We will be seeing some (hopefully minor) bios bugs for some time to come, the AM4 platform is a brand new beast and far FAR from mature. This isn't on Asus, it's just how it plays out. All we can do in userland is hang on for the ride, things will get better but we have to be patient. File it under "early adopter problems"

Page 42 of 268 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 ... LastLast