cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Code 67 "CPU DXE Initiailzation is started."

Axle_Grease
Level 7
I have the 4x4GB G.Skill 3000MHz RAM kit installed (F4-3000C15Q-16GRR). The PC is stable with the DDR Frequency set to 2800MHz or below, but anything above that such as 2933MHz and 3000MHz causes a Q-Code 67. I understand that if it were a 6d i'd look into fine tuning the System Agent Voltage, but what should I target for tweaking given a Q-Code 67? Also, what does DXE stand for?

BIOS 3504
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown
10 REPLIES 10

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Axle Grease 🙂 It is more than likely this is RAM related and I recommend you upgrade to Bios Latest 3504.

If you recently installed new RAM then updating Bios should help as 3504 addresses Improve System Performance and Improved DRAM compatibility.

Although the MB supports OC RAM to 3300MHz it does not mean the CPU IMC will, without some adjustment to Primary Timings and Voltage and a Bios upgrade.
Intel i7-5960X officially supports up to 2133MHz so 3000MHz is not JDEC spec and therefore Bios would probably default to 2133MHz and Bios may not recognize your XMP profiles.

DXE (Driver Execution Environment) phase during POST and represented by Qcodes 63-67.

The (DXE) phase is where most of the system initialization is performed. Pre-EFI Initialization (PEI), the phase prior to DXE, is responsible for initializing permanent memory in the platform so that the DXE phase can be loaded and executed. The state of the system at the end of the PEI phase is passed to the DXE phase through a list of position-independent data structures called Hand-Off Blocks (HOBs). HOBs are described in detail in the Platform Initialization Hand-Off Block Specification.

There are several components in the DXE phase: “DXE Foundation”,“DXE Dispatcher”, and a set of “DXE Drivers”

The Dxe Core produces a set of Boot Services, Runtime Services, and DXE Services. The DXE Dispatcher is responsible for discovering and executing DXE drivers in the correct order. The DXE drivers are responsible for initializing the processor, chipset, and platform components as well as providing software abstractions for system services, console devices, and boot devices.
These components work together to initialize the platform and provide the services required to boot an operating system. The DXE phase and Boot Device Selection (BDS) phases work together to establish consoles and attempt the booting of operating systems. The DXE phase is terminated when an operating system is successfully booted.
The Dxe Core is composed of boot services code, so no code from the Dxe Core itself is allowed to persist into the OS runtime environment. Only the runtime data structures allocated by the Dxe Core and services and data structured produced by runtime DXE drivers are allowed to persist into the OS runtime environment."
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Axle Grease 🙂 It is more than likely this is RAM related and I recommend you upgrade to Bios Latest 3504.

If you recently installed new RAM then updating Bios should help as 3504 addresses Improve System Performance and Improved DRAM compatibility.

Hi, MeanMachine. My current BIOS is 3504 which is mentioned in my post above, but thanks for the description of DXE. It led me to http://www.uefi.org which has that and more. 🙂
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

JustinThyme
Level 13
Driver Execution Environment

DXE is responsible for initializing permanent memory, loading up all your system parameters into memory.

You may have a weak stick. Try one first then add sticks one at a time.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Driver Execution Environment

DXE is responsible for initializing permanent memory, loading up all your system parameters into memory.

You may have a weak stick. Try one first then add sticks one at a time.

Interesting... The stick in slot D has always been weak. To get a working 3000MHz under the 2xxx series BIOes all I had to do was increment the DRAM Voltage (CHC,CHD) from 1.35 to 1.36V, otherwise the OS would still boot but it would see only see 12GB. That fix doesn't work with the 35xx BIOes. I can't step up the DRAM frequency past 2800MHz without getting a Q-Code 67.

Along with Q-Code 67 the PCIEX16_4_LED blinks amber. I disabled the slot using the corresponding lane switch but still get q-code 67 with the same blinking LED. This is while DRAM timings are relaxed to 17-17-17 and DRAM Voltage set to 1.365 for A&B and C&D.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try BIOS 2101 for Haswell E

Or try setting Tweak mode 2 in DRAM section

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Try BIOS 2101 for Haswell E

Or try setting Tweak mode 2 in DRAM section

I got the same result with all 3 modes. Q-Code 67 and blinking LED. I have no idea what Mode 3 does. It's not mentioned in the manual.

Tony.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Sounds like you need to tweak your system to stabilize memory over 2800MHz.

Yes, but what is elusive is knowing which BIOS values to target given a q-code 67.

Nate152
Hi Axle Grease

You could try upping the the Dram voltage to 1.40v

cpu system agent voltage anywhere from 1.15v - 1.30v

cpu vccio voltage anywhere from 1.15v - 1.25v.

CPU input voltage 1.90v - Note this is not the vcore.

Try this and see if you get your ram stable.