cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73sw review

knight
Level 8
Just wanted to share my experience with asus :
Before buying the gaming laptop I did lot of research on which one is better and found good reviews abt asus, so I took my chances with it and bought asus g73sw two months back.
Well since day one onward I face issues with this laptop  . I bought this to play StarCraft 2 game on higher resolutions, but unfortunately the game is unable to work. Whenever I use to start the game it use to freeze or crash after 5-10 mins.
So next day I went to asus service center and after lot of argument they agree to look at the problem. After 7 long days I got back and amazing the starcraft2 game was working fine, the guy told me display driver was not having good version.
Eventually I started getting problem again and laptop use to get hang/crash even if the game was not running (just like that).
Now after two month I started getting the message in the game “lower your graphics to improve the performance of the game, and guess what I was already at the lowest possible graphics, still it was not working.
So I decided to re install win7; after all upgrades and stuff, the game still had issue, it was not getting crashed. So I downgrade to win xp from win7 home premium. After getting all the drive updates the game still did not work on the laptop.
Now I m stuck with it as I m not in the same country where I bought the laptop and no asus support.
Lesson learn never go for asus as the performance is still not reliable.
I will await for some asus tech person to reply the thread, lets see if someone turns up.
12 REPLIES 12

dstrakele
Level 14
From what I've seen, once you've done your best to eliminate DPC Latency (i.e. use DPC Latency Checker or LatencyMon to find drivers causing latency and update them) and removed ASUS Bloatware to eliminate possible interference (i.e. clean Windows 7 installation), and eliminated CPU Throttling (i.e. using ThrottleStop), playing a game successfully pretty much comes down to having the right version graphics driver, the necessary game patches and updates, and configuring the driver and/or game client properly. In many cases, some games have issues that require future video driver bug fixes or game patches.

From the Google hits (http://www.google.com/#pq=starcraft+2&hl=en&cp=18&gs_id=2v&xhr=t&q=Starcraft+2+crashes&pf=p&sclient=...), it seems like you are not the only one having problems with StarCraft 2 crashes. It particularly seems to have problems with ATI GPU's.

There are many threads that discuss DPC Latency, clean Windows 7 installations, and ThrottleStop use in this forum. However, I think you'll get a lot better and more specific information on resolving crash issues related to StarCraft 2 by posting to some of the StarCraft forums.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I did the DPC latency test, there i a problem with display driver, i tried installing all the update step by step oldest to newest including beta version.. nothing works... for all drivers DPC test is fail, got red bars continuously thought the test. i dont kw if thereare any settings to be done in nvdia panel...

dstrakele
Level 14
Could you post a screen shot of DPC Latency Checker for your system at idle?

here are the two screen shots

dstrakele
Level 14
That does not look good. And you're finding this is definitely related to the NVIDEA driver? In other words, if you uninstall it and just let Microsoft install it's VGA driver, all the red spikes disappear?

I'm running the stock NVIDIA (I think it's something like 268.x) on my ASUS Factory OS instance and the NVIDEA 290.53 beta on my clean Windows 7 instance and get nothing anywhere near that. I only get an occasional yellow spike.

yes if i disable nvida all is green i checked for like 10 mins no problem it is the problem of graphic card .. but i tried all drives, i dont kw what else to do...

dstrakele
Level 14
I'm at a loss to explain your results or direct you on what to do next. One would think that amount of DPC Latency would be devastating to any performance in game play. Yet you only encounter problems in StarCraft 2? No problems in other games or streaming YouTube HD videos?

One thing - if you turn off Vertical Sync, Antialiasing, and Ambient Occlusion, does it change the behavior in StarCraft 2 or DPC Latency Checker?

When you choose to re-install your NVIDEA driver, boot into Safe Mode, choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox. Hopefully, this will prevent other running drivers from interfering with your re-installation and remove any remnants of previous NVIDEA installations.

ColonelS
Level 9
Am forwarding this issue to the back-end and will revert it back to you asap, btw is it still under warranty policy?

Meanwhile, follow dstrakele instructions reinstall your driver, and do a clean sweep using driver sweeper from here G73/74/53 Series Driver and Application Reference
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

it is under warranty i bought it in july 11 but i bought it in Singapore and now im France and i will not go back to singapore for laptop repair of servicing. after doing the setting suggested by dstrakele the dpc latency performance is improved and I can run the game on low graphics. though i bought this laptop to play the game on ultra graphics as it wan mention in all the good reviews of this laptop.

i can try to reinstall the driver again but i m afraid that i will face the problem again.