Keyboard Corsair Gaming K95 RGB PLATINUM
    Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB FSP
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Built into the computer table
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z906
    OS Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Network RouterZyxel P8702N
    Accessory #1 Several HDD’s 1, 2 and 3 TB
    Accessory #2 Aquaero 6xt + a lot of water cooling stuff.
    Accessory #3 UPS BlueWalker PW UPS VI 2200 SH

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    There are a whole lot of you out there who seem incapable of grasping the point/value/raison d'etre of this benchmark/stresstest.

Despite the name being a rather big clue!

Yes, you can run some legacy benchmark like P95 and knock over your CPU...maybe at lower voltage than RB...that is not the point. The point of this test, is to stress ALL PC subsystems at the same time with a combination of REAL WORLD programs...thus giving you a much more holistic way of assuring stability in everyday computing. With the advantage of not drawing degrading levels of current through the CPU nor breaking the thermal limits of the CPU, nor the power limits.

It is also offering you choice...if you prefer a stress test that only stresses one thing and promotes electron tunneling at the same time...stick with it.
    Why so angry? Isn't it a valid question? Reading different forums you get different answers, from people I would expects know what they are talking about (checking their credentials; not easy with a name like yours, but you seem to know what you're talking about when I check out your posts here, on this forum). What I find most interesting is the different opinions on the validation of the data output from the CPU; corruption of data that will render it, sooner or later, worthless. I would imagine Windows (10 64 pro) is checking the validity of data before it saves it, and that, that problem is actually taken care of?

I'm OC'ing as follows, now:
    MB - Rampage V Extreme USB 3.1
    CPU - Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X: 4x4,7GHz + 4x4,6GHz (1,399V)
    GPU - ROG Strix GTX 1080 O8G Gaming: Core 2,190GHz Memory 1,426GHz
    RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4B3200C15: 3,2GHz (1,6GHz)

Will do a stress test and see how it works out. Any suggestions on the length of the test, and if it should be done in Normal or Diagnostic Startup?

I have not played around with the RAM, which I don't know much about. Would like to find a page where there are detailed suggestions for OC'ing Rampage V, anyone know of any? Not talking about the usual 5 to 6 step basic OC-guide, more like - If you do this, and it crashes, do that, and maybe that.
    [/URL]

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

If you want to stress-test, I don't see the point to boot in diagnostic mode... you're not after scores, just stability...
    Regarding OC'ing, check out Raja's guides over the Rampage section... (usually they are stickies)

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sverre View Post
    Why so angry? Isn't it a valid question?
    Ascribing emotions to written posts is always an interpretive event...likely to say more about the reader than the writer

Forgive me but I don't see any questions in this post

OC'ed my card to 2190/1425 and it runs good in RealBench, but it worries me that this is a frequency I can only dream about in Valley (2151) and Fire Strike (2124).

OC'ed CPU (5960x) to 4.6GHz (1.35V) without problem and running it on 4.7GHz (1.399V) now. Also a frequency that isn't very stable on other benchmarks.
    Just statements that seem to indicate a misunderstanding of stress testing...I am simply trying to orient you to the correct view/use of this Benchmark/Stresstest.

I tried to reply to you in your other thread on some of the points you repeat here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...g-vs-stability

I simply don't know where you are getting some ideas from. It simply seems like some base assumptions or ideas are wrong and then of course conclusions will be wrong.

In general this whole stress testing thing and in particular that P95 is the go-to stability test, is nothing more than an internet meme.

Stability simply means the system is stable doing what you want it to do. If you want P95 stability then you test with P95....but this does not mean stability even for gaming, as we have seen here a thousand times over since P95 stresses only a single part of the PC at worst or one and a bit systems if you chose the right tests.

That is why RB came about....as a more realworld stress test for gaming/encoding/multimedia stability...the most stressful things that a regular computer user does with their machine. It is enormously useful in this regard and though it cannot cover all use cases it is by far the best test, for regular PC users, out there.

As far as Overclocking and benchmarking go...the point is, there is no ultimate stress test. There is no stress test that will give you numbers to run for all different use cases or benchmarks. If you bench Firestrike you have to find the OC for Firestrike...and even this differs between Firestrike and Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra. For Valley you will have to find an entirely different OC etc etc etc

Any suggestions on the length of the test, and if it should be done in Normal or Diagnostic Startup?
    If you are testing for system stability for daily use it should be done in your normal daily OS environment...with none of the tweaks applied...such as setting windows for max performance etc...just your normal set up. Benchmarking for maximum score...then apply all the tweaks you want.

Length is really up to you...another internet meme is 8 hours for RB at the moment....given my past experiences with setting up OCs I'm happy with one or two hours.

There isn't really any guide of that type...there are of course no recipes for this stuff. Since the components are always different it is pretty much up to you to find out what works best for your system. Raja's guides are certainly the starting point...some users post up their settings https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...543169...again as orientation not recipe...voltages will always have to your own...

Start a thread...no shortage of help here
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 03-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Arne angry? LMAO. One of the most level headed posters on this forum. Me on the other hand, I often come across less than understood but that's who I am.

I have to agree 100% with Arne's assessment here. Ive run prime 95 in the past for 24 hours to prove stability only to have my machine crash once using it for something other than pounding the CPU repeatedly with the same instruction set that does nothing more than heat it up. Prime 95s only purpose in my book may be to test you cooling, that about as far as it goes.

Length of stress testing is subjective, mostly subjective to epeen size. If nothing else you should have seen in your first post here that on a cold boot you may run for 1000 hours uninterrupted then not make it 5 minutes later on. This is a tool like any other stress test. Actual stability will vary from one machine and configuration to the next. When over clocking I use the bench first. If it doesnt pass the bench I dial it down or tweak until it does then move onto the stress test for an hour or so. Once it makes it past the hour I call it good. If its not Ill find out later and may have to dial it back a notch.

OCing is not an exact science. It has high levels of probabilites but nothing is exact. Chips and memory modules vary, voltage control from one MOBO (same model even) to the next will vary, OS installed, background apps running etc all play a part.

Bottom line, this tool is just to help you get the best out of what you have and uses a set of instructions that closely resembles actual use instead of those designed to see how well your CPU can be used as a space heater.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Sverre PC Specs
    Sverre PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Formula
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M4B3200C15
    Graphics Card #1ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #2ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti
    Monitor1 x Asus 27" LED FreeSync MG278Q + 2 x Benq XL2420T
    Storage #1C-drive: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD
    Storage #2D-drive: Force Series LS 480GB
    CPU CoolerEK-Supremacy MX
    CaseCooler Master Cosmos C700P
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K95 RGB PLATINUM
    Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB FSP
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Built into the computer table
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z906
    OS Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Network RouterZyxel P8702N
    Accessory #1 Several HDD’s 1, 2 and 3 TB
    Accessory #2 Aquaero 6xt + a lot of water cooling stuff.
    Accessory #3 UPS BlueWalker PW UPS VI 2200 SH

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Arne angry? LMAO. One of the most level headed posters on this forum. Me on the other hand, I often come across less than understood but that's who I am.

I have to agree 100% with Arne's assessment here. Ive run prime 95 in the past for 24 hours to prove stability only to have my machine crash once using it for something other than pounding the CPU repeatedly with the same instruction set that does nothing more than heat it up. Prime 95s only purpose in my book may be to test you cooling, that about as far as it goes.

Length of stress testing is subjective, mostly subjective to epeen size. If nothing else you should have seen in your first post here that on a cold boot you may run for 1000 hours uninterrupted then not make it 5 minutes later on. This is a tool like any other stress test. Actual stability will vary from one machine and configuration to the next. When over clocking I use the bench first. If it doesnt pass the bench I dial it down or tweak until it does then move onto the stress test for an hour or so. Once it makes it past the hour I call it good. If its not Ill find out later and may have to dial it back a notch.

OCing is not an exact science. It has high levels of probabilites but nothing is exact. Chips and memory modules vary, voltage control from one MOBO (same model even) to the next will vary, OS installed, background apps running etc all play a part.

Bottom line, this tool is just to help you get the best out of what you have and uses a set of instructions that closely resembles actual use instead of those designed to see how well your CPU can be used as a space heater.
    It took exactly 1 second before I crashed in Albion Online, a game that doesn't require anything from the graphics card (I've played 2 hours now, and the temp is still 33C, which is pretty much the same as it does on almost no load), twice; and that was after I clicked on my character, to enter the world. So, no, this test isn't correct, either.

He might not have been angry, but the way he replied looked to me as angry, maybe even hostile; probably just bad choice of words.

I do know a little bit about OC'ing, I have played around with it for 4 or 5 years, but I've never found a real good guide for it, it's mostly the usual 5 or 6 steps. And, of course, I've done stability testing.

I just reset it to the OC that works with Valley, that works with even the heaviest games (at least I haven't crashed yet).
    [/URL]

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    One of the most level headed posters on this forum
    Man...I thought the hood in my avatar hid that...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level headed.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	63308

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

Sometimes it takes a different level, be prepared is what I say

Name:	levels head.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	63309

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

It took exactly 1 second before I crashed in Albion Online, a game that doesn't require anything from the graphics card (I've played 2 hours now, and the temp is still 33C, which is pretty much the same as it does on almost no load), twice; and that was after I clicked on my character, to enter the world. So, no, this test isn't correct, either.
    Have in mind that crashes can happen for reasons not related to OC. Driver issues, game engine bugs, OS corruption etc etc.

That said if you can pass RB ST it's 99.99% certain that you won't crash in any regular user application. The exception to that (the 0.01%) is GPU overclocking and games. Because the part of the ST that stresses the GPU is actually Compute load and not regular 3D load, there may be cases where instability is not detected on GPU overclocking. If you are overclocking your GPU you should ideally stress test the GPU with something else after you pass RB ST.

This is what RB ST is all about. It is possible to pass the ST and fail on some hardcore test that calculates whatever. All a stress test does is prove you can pass that particular test. Nothing more. RB's ST loads all available subsystems at the same time and in an asynchronous way creating load spikes and drips on the different subsystems. It is the closest thing to testing everything. Prime95 on the other hand calculates an FFT algorithm that can fit into modern CPU's cache entirely again and again and again. This has nothing to do with a normal load that can happen on your system. You can pass that test for hours only to have your system crash when bulk transfers happen on the PCIe bus for example. So you should ask yourself what you want to do with your system. If you want to use it for medical research and fold proteins, then stress test with that. If you want to calculate prime numbers, go ahead and test your ability to do so. Etc etc etc.
    Same concept is behind the benchmark as well. It allows you to see how fast your PC is on a specific real world task. See real performance gains. In contrast to other benchmarks which also run a synthetic algorithm and give you a score or a FLOPS measurement that means nothing to a user. Yeah my CPU can go 83131263 GFLOPS..what does that mean? How does that translate to real, measurable performance? How much faster will my system actually be if I upgrade? This is what RB aims to do. You can see it when your OC shaves 20 secs off the encoding. It shows you what you are actually gaining or what you could gain by upgrading to a new platform and CPU, etc etc
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    Sometimes it takes a different level, be prepared is what I say

Name:	levels head.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	63309
    Is he staring or is he stairing?
    Anywho...that haircut works on so many levels...a real step up from the average haircut.
    Maybe he's Roger Bannister's step-son?
    Favourite music...dubstep?
    Maybe he asked the barber to step aside?...or maybe..."I need a haircut but I'm in a hurry so step on it!"

Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 03-24-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Rofl, so many bad puns in the same post ahahahahaha! :P
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3