Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power settings do not work in Windows 10

NWOSucks
Level 7
I have a Rampage V Edition 10
I7 6850K
32GB RAM (Gskill) 2133 (8x4 configuration)
2 x Strix 1080 in SLI
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB M2 (OS Drive)
4 x Intel 500GB SSD's in Raid 0 (for Steam, games storage and general storage)
2 x Intel 500GB SSD's in Storage Spaces configured for just less than 1TB (for libraries)

My issue is that after the initial Windows installation - Bare metal, power settings work fine. After installing all the base drivers by using the ROG flash drive and then updating manually Windows power settings no longer works. Machine does not go to sleep after the set time no matter what settings I use. I can manually put the machine to sleep by pressing the power button, no issues there and it wakes up fine.
I would like it so my monitor would turn off after a set time or for the screen saver to work, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get either to kick in.

I've tried a rebuild 3 times now with the same effect.

Any advice would be welcome. Cheers 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15

Thanks Chino, I do. I'll check that out and get back to you. Thanks for your reply.

Chino wrote:
Do you have AI Suite III installed? There's a section for power saving that you can look into.

Hi Chino,

After installing Windows again and installing drivers one at a time, I've now found that the SupremeFX HiFi driver is what causes the issue with the PC/Monitor not going into sleep. The version on the USB is 1.9.114.20
Looking at other forums I've found users having alot of issues with the DAC. I've had no issues with getting it to work - only this with sleep. Are you aware of any other driver that does not cause this issue? I've found this to happen with Windows 10 and also Anniversary edition as well, same issue with sleep.

I'm wondering if there are any other users experiencing the same issue as me with the SupremeFX HiFi driver and sleep?

Chino
Level 15

I also have the same problem.
R5E10
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (Microsoft driver)
SupremeFX Hi-Fi V1.9.114.21 from ASUS website
Like you, I have re-installed Windows 10 Pro (Retail USB) multiple times.
System will NOT sleep (disk activity LED flashes every few seconds)
unless I DISABLE SupremeFX Hi-Fi in Task Manager Startup and reboot.
I isolated the problem to SvAuxSrv.exe which is in registry startup (Run)
If I disable it via Task Manager Startup tab and reboot, the system will sleep,
but the DAC does not work.
There is high disk activity after enabling this executable when there should be none.
My workaround is to disable it in Task Manager. Create a shortcut to it on the desktop.
And only run it from the shortcut when I want to listen to music via headphones and the
front panel DAC. Then reboot when I am finished.
I will keep experimenting until ASUS fixes this. And I hope others will too.
Keep posting here if you find out anything interesting.

I have refined my workaround for the SupremeFX Hi-Fi preventing sleep on Windows 10 Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard.
1. Disable SupremeFX Hi-Fi by using Task Manager, Startup tab and right clicking on ASUS SupremeFX Hi-Fi Service
2. Create a shortcut on the desktop and name it "SupremeFX ON".
Point it to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\SupremeFX_Hi-Fi\SvAuxSrv.exe
3. Right click on the desktop and open a New-Text Document and enter the following line:
taskkill /F /IM SvAuxSrv.exe /T
Save the file on the desktop and name it "SupremeFX OFF"

That is it.
When you want to use the SupremeFX Hi-Fi DAC,
1. Click on the SupremeFX ON shortcut on the desktop
2. Change the default Playback device from Speakers to Headphones (SupremeFX Hi-Fi)
(right click Realtek HD Audio Manager - Audio Devices in the System Tray)
3. Plug in the headphones
(The system will NOT sleep while the ASUS SupremeFX Hi-Fi Service process (SvAuxSrv.exe) is running)
When you are finished listening:
1. Click on the SupremeFX OFF.cmd file on the desktop
2. Change the default Playback device from Headphones (SupremeFX Hi-Fi) back to Speakers
No need to reboot. The system will go to sleep according to the Power Plan

WayneB2 wrote:
I have refined my workaround for the SupremeFX Hi-Fi preventing sleep on Windows 10 Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard.
1. Disable SupremeFX Hi-Fi by using Task Manager, Startup tab and right clicking on ASUS SupremeFX Hi-Fi Service
3. Right click on the desktop and open a New-Text Document and enter the following line:

That is it.
2. Change the default Playback device from Speakers to Headphones (SupremeFX Hi-Fi)
(The system will NOT sleep while the ASUS SupremeFX Hi-Fi Service process (SvAuxSrv.exe) is running)
2. Change the default Playback device from Headphones (SupremeFX Hi-Fi) back to Speakers

This is crazy. ASUS should fix this. I've reported this issue to them some time ago, and they said they could reproduce the issue and that R&D was looking into it. But it apparently takes some time to fix. So far, I'm simply using the built-in Realtek solution for my Sennheiser 363D's via front-panel output. Sound quality is almost as good, thanks to ASUS' excellent engineering. But the 3D positional audio is not as precise. Still, it's prefereable to a system which never sleeps. As far as I've observed, no idle processes ever run, whilst SupremeFX is active. Sleep for monitor, automatic antivirus scans, TRIM commands for SSD's. Nothing.

WayneB2 wrote:

That is it.

To Wayne: You are my hero! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to figure this out. :rolleyes: My recent rebuild only presented me with two issues, one was an initial RAM issue, and then everything else was fine until I couldn't get Windows 10 to sleep or turn off the monitor, or work any other power options. I tried every possible Windows tweak and drivers, EPU changes, uninstalled noncritical software, etc, all the online solutions I could find until I finally was ready to give up; I decided to do one more search for a solution. Came upon your solution here by some chance, and wah-lah solved! I set my computer up exactly like you described here, and it's really easy now to get my power options to work. Two shortcuts on the desktop and it works. Sure beats having to keep turning your computer off and on every time you leave home or your office.

To ASUS: Why isn't this fixed yet? Apparently this issue is known about already but there's been no update to this SupremeFX HiFi driver since July of 2016. I like the SupremeFX HiFi equipment and it works great, but seriously, people want...no, need... their power options to work in Windows. Also, tracking down this as the problem with the computer was extremely frustrating and time consuming, so at the minimum you really have a responsibility to post an advisory message online about this conflict right on the driver download page. Additionally, you need to place a printed sheet within the SupremeFX HiFi driver package that states there is a conflict with Windows 10 power options. As a minimum, or perhaps get it fixed?

Wayne, FYI my setup was similar to yours, which got me headed down this path. Rampage V E10 with the SupremeFX HiFi and W10-64 bit. Thank you so much for posting your solution and in detail, hats off to you. I placed my kill command line in a file within the SupremeFX folder, pointed to it with the desktop shortcut, and then changed the icon on the shortcut to match the one for the startup shortcut. Makes the desktop look a little bit cleaner when your solution is applied. 😉
Davemon50

WayneB2 wrote:

That is it.

This response from Wayne is perfect. Solved my issue as well.
==================
N1k05 | Nikos
==================