cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty Void "farce" G20CB

chilinmichael
Level 10
With a recent experience in the matter I will advise all on this, you can listen or not, it's of no consequence to me.

After 8 months of ownership, a recent BIOS update bricked my G20CB, of no fault of my own, but Asus. They release a Bios I updated to (I think 2004 or the like) and quickly pulled, then I tried to update to the latest release (2101), and bam, no more PC (it halted mid-way and never moved in over 20 minutes). I carefully removed the "warranty void if removed" sticker completely, advised the rep on the phone I had my own SSD in there, what should I do? He said remove it, so I did as they may entirely replace the unit. Needless to say, don't open your mouth, if you've opened the PC do the careful work I did to leave no remnants of the sticker and look up local laws which may mandate no matter what, Asus HAS to honor the one-year warranty sans you gauging the PC with a drill or the like (NY loves liberal force-you laws, so that may have been the case for me without knowing it here).

Just some advice for you all, my experience went well.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.
16 REPLIES 16

lufiron
Level 10
Just a quick reminder that if you are in the US, the "Warranty Void if removed" stickers are completely unenforceable by the manufacturer

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-50

What almost no one knows is that these stickers and clauses are illegal under a federal law passed in 1975 called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

It's not illegal per se, they can put whatever stickers they want. Its just that, in the US specifically, they don't mean anything.

xeromist
Yes, unless you have damaged the component or subsystem needing service the warranty should remain valid. But also as you say it's probably not worth mentioning it or making obvious modifications. If a company decides to deny a warranty claim you can always fight it in court and win but doing so would likely cost more than it's worth. Best to avoid that scenario if you can.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah its one of them take a chance moment, I personally had a different type of care for me as I brough mine via a big chain of stores. then again I would'nt send it back to asus, I have heard of so many complaints about the customer services.

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
I have heard of so many complaints about the customer services.

Complaints here on the forum or from other people you know? Service centers vary by region and I know some people have had pretty good service in their region. So it might be helpful to find someone who has dealt with your service center.

Not that I haven't read many complaints as well. It's just that I don't know how many RMAs ASUS processes and the happy folks seldom post their experiences. So I'm not sure if it's the exception or the rule.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Complaints here on the forum or from other people you know? Service centers vary by region and I know some people have had pretty good service in their region. So it might be helpful to find someone who has dealt with your service center.

Not that I haven't read many complaints as well. It's just that I don't know how many RMAs ASUS processes and the happy folks seldom post their experiences. So I'm not sure if it's the exception or the rule.

alot of people was mainly the posts that was on my old asus videos or other peoples asus videos, people tend to post questions and I answer them as good as I can with the knowledge that I knew from the tear down of this pc. I would assume that asus customers services are good but I am only going on the feedback that I read.

but yes if your pc is under the warranty then I would try sending it back, but I would hate to be without a pc for any period of time, the pain lol

Whoopee

JustinThyme
Level 13
Complaints aside

It does not matter if you wish to go against anything with removing a sticker and I certainly wouldn't base any of that on a bloggers page.
Bottom line sticker or no sticker in the end all they have to do is say you violated the terms of the warranty and can list a million reasons. About like a COP can execute an illegal search any time they want. What is needed for a search without a warrant? Probable cause. They can simple say they smelled drugs and that is probable cause. Same goes for hardware failure. If They really want to they can say there was signs of water damage. You say no but who has the board now? More general, operated outside of specifications, or it was caused by a faulty PSU, I can go on forever.

If you really wanted to push it and hire an attorney its going to cost you more in legal fees to fight it than the hardware is worth.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

chilinmichael
Level 10
I can tell you my PC came back with damage to one side like it was laid down on small pebbles. They said their policy is to take it back in for repair again, I said my policy is you created this damage so you send me a loaner or replacement that I swap drives into so I have no downtime. The end result was a conflict of policies, and no call back on their end. Their service is not stellar, aside from correctly replacing the MB due to a failed Bios update that they provided. I told them no call back will results in calls to State AG, BBB and posting of damage on social media including this site. I'll be posting up pics in another thread later today.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

xeromist
Aw, that sucks. Sounds like they haven't discovered the hand broom. Not that hard to sweep the workbench between jobs.

Doesn't surprise me that they didn't offer a loaner though. ASUS will cross-ship products but I'm not aware of a loaner program. Make sure you PM cl-Albert as he's sometimes able to help with special circumstances.

chilinmichael
Level 10
I can understand being without a PC for a failing part that the warranty covers, but due to gross negligence and carelessness on the part of Asus repair is unacceptable. They should learn their lesson and do the right thing. Also apologize for not posting up damage yet, been hectic lately at work.