cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone notice amd chipset and asus sata drivers do not install correctly in windows10

demoncamber
Level 8
So I noticed after installing the amd chipset and asmedia sata drivers, in device manager it's still using all the default Microsoft windows 10 ones for all amd chipset drivers. Why is this?
What should be installed in terms of the amd drivers in device manager completely?
I noticed if you point the device to the correct folder where the drivers are extracted to, it will accept them, however you have to do it all manually. Just not totally sure if I'm getting everything completely.

So far I've got the amd smbus and amd sata controller drivers installed manually but not sure what else should be there for a 990fx crosshair v z
6 REPLIES 6

Heini
Level 11
Which MB and bios are you trying to load the drivers to?

JustinThyme
Level 13
No problems here.
What order did you install.
The chipset driver should be the very first thing you install before anything else right after the OS is done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

This is on a Crosshair Formula V Z.

These were the first drivers to be installed on fresh install. It's also always done this over 3 different OS installs on my system in the past as well.

Open your device manager and check what it says for your IDE ATA controller and your SMBus under system devices.
For me it's standard sata controller and SMBus. Once I pointed it to the amd chipset folder it then found and updated to the AMD drivers now shown in the pic.

haihane
Level 13
i'm on the Crosshair V FZ right now, and this is what i see:

on your screenshot, yours say AMD SMBus, mine, further down there (not inside screenshot), it says: SM Bus Controller. opening the SM Bus Controller gives:

i probably have what you call a "stock" installation (no manual pointing to a directory like what you did).
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
i'm on the Crosshair V FZ right now, and this is what i see:

on your screenshot, yours say AMD SMBus, mine, further down there (not inside screenshot), it says: SM Bus Controller. opening the SM Bus Controller gives:

i probably have what you call a "stock" installation (no manual pointing to a directory like what you did).

Ok so now check this out, for your SMBus in device manager go to update driver, and point it to this directory (install latest amd chipset first): C:\AMD\AMD-Chipset-Drivers-17.3.1-Windows-64Bit-Mar9\Packages\Drivers

And watch it will change the driver and use AMD's now. Which is what it should automatically do when you install the chipset drivers in the first place. So now I'm wondering what else in that chipset package is not using AMD's actual proper drivers?

haihane
Level 13
and i don't have that thing called IDE/ATAPI controllers like you showed on your screenshot.

maybe it's perhaps i run mine on RAID mode?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.