cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core Temp new version 1.7 causes nearly instant crash reboot cycle.

chevell65
Level 12
Just got the update notice today for Core Temp version 1.7, I installed it and it destroyed my system with endless crash reboot cycle. Recovered from system image no problem then tried again to make sure that Core Temp 1.7 was the culprit and indeed it was.

I can't speak for other chip sets besides Z97 but it's likely this 1.7 version will crash other systems as well so DO NOT FOLLOW the update link put up by Core Temp.

You should disable the update check in current version 1.6 Core Temp so you don't accidently click on it and install the newer 1.7 version which is a flat out disaster.

Or,.. you can tempt fate and confirm my results if you have a system image handy but don't say I didn't warn you. :cool:
11 REPLIES 11

fss003124
Level 7
Same here..
I thought it was display card driver issue, because I also updated to GeForce 378.78 at the same time..
So I boot into safe mode, use DDU and clean install the driver..
But when I normal boot, still instant crash..
Into safe mode again.. I went through event log, no nvlddmkm error..
well.. that's how I know what just happened.

fss003124 wrote:
Same here..
I thought it was display card driver issue, because I also updated to GeForce 378.78 at the same time..
So I boot into safe mode, use DDU and clean install the driver..
But when I normal boot, still instant crash..
Into safe mode again.. I went through event log, no nvlddmkm error..
well.. that's how I know what just happened.

Yep it's an instant crash with no chance of removing the culprit. Shame on core temp for not properly testing this new version. If you don't have an image then you will lose everything.

chevell65 wrote:
Yep it's an instant crash with no chance of removing the culprit. Shame on core temp for not properly testing this new version. If you don't have an image then you will lose everything.

I've just spent the whole day solving this exact problem. I had absolutely no idea it was core temp that was to blame.

It looked like the GPU was going faulty as the monitor would black out and come back and drop input momentarily.

I also thought it could be a recent nvidia driver bug conflicting with my system.
I spent time booting into safe mode and removing drivers via the display uninstaller app.

After that I booted into a spare OS drive and that worked absolutely fine leading me to believe the M.2 960 Evo was to blame.
I ultimately removed the drive and put the old SSD back in.
That was working fine so I reinstalled all my programs. Then the machine restarted mid installation and went back to its messed up state.

Then I thought it could be a faulty stick of RAM so booted with only one stick. No joy.

Then I grabbed a spare replacement PSU to see if that was to blame. Same thing, no change.

Then I somehow spotted core temp pop up the moment the system instability started and uninstalled it in safe mode.
I can't believe that one little program can cause such havoc to the whole system.

So after several OS reinstalls and part swaps I've finally got my system back.

I'm currently running the standalone 1.0 version of core temp but I'll never again install the program. It can run at boot from the C Drive.

The core temp devs owe me 8 hours.

chevell65
Level 12
Luckily in my case recovery was only ten minutes but I had to test again just to make sure it was core temp 1.7 causing the issue before making this announcement.

Hopefully others will see this thread before they update core temp. I'd be willing to bet that it's crashing crash other chip sets besides Z97.

Just being curious.. Which Windows version you guys were on?
I actually have 2 PCs.. one being my main-- 4790K Z97, Win8.1, also the one which crash after install core temp 1.7
But my other one-- 2500K Z77, Win10, seems to have no problem at all.
Not sure if that's HW-wise or OS-wise issue.. Because it looks like we're the unlucky few who hit the bug, as not much topics about this were found.. consider Core temp is an app that been widely used almost a decade

fss003124 wrote:
Just being curious.. Which Windows version you guys were on?
I actually have 2 PCs.. one being my main-- 4790K Z97, Win8.1, also the one which crash after install core temp 1.7
But my other one-- 2500K Z77, Win10, seems to have no problem at all.
Not sure if that's HW-wise or OS-wise issue.. Because it looks like we're the unlucky few who hit the bug, as not much topics about this were found.. consider Core temp is an app that been widely used almost a decade

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, version 1607, OS build 14393.953, which I believe is one of the latest versions. Z77 is a different chip set so it's probably a chip set specific crash which is why I posted it here.

It could be a conflict with another installed software but my Op system was nearly stripped down to nothing and it still crashed me.

The core temp 1.6 works fine anyway so no reason to update.

Core Temp 1.7 is running on my G752VY Win 10 Pro up to date on updates.no problem.
Z97 Pro Wi-Fi Win 10 pro upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro and up to date with updates. on 1.7 no issues
Z97 A-3.1 Win 10 Pro upgraded from 8.1 pro, this one has not been updated to the AU, its a mission critical computer with propriatory software running. Still running 1.6 and will not update to 1.7 thanks for the warning.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

chevell65 wrote:
I'd be willing to be that it's crashing crash other chip sets besides Z97.

It affected my X99 system.

FireOnAWire wrote:
It affected my X99 system.

I'm not too surprised about that.

I wonder if there might be a software conflict involved here.