cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my partition D when i was copying on usb

Shakecip
Level 10
Hy, today i had a bizzare issue and let me explain what it happened, i copyed a 24 gb movie file on a usb stick and after a while i notticed that my hdd usage ( 😧 ) was 100% usage and after a minute my partition has gone. I restarted my pc still nothing and then i shut down my computer and i powered on again, it booted slow but when it was entered in windows the D partition was again visibile. What could cause this problem? I checked the hdd on SMART but everything is ok there.
9 REPLIES 9

haihane
Level 13
sounds like a dying drive.

SMART is an indicator, but not a surefire way to tell the HDD isn't dying.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

chevell65
Level 12
Of course illusion is not spelled with an A unless they meant to spell it incorrectly maybe.

haihane
Level 13
almost forgot:

just for safety sake, when you can access the Drive D, try copying all that's inside to a backup drive, and manually check if anything important is corrupted.

that way, even if your original drive D were to die all of a sudden, you can take comfort in the fact that your data is safe. (Redundancy shelter)

Shakecip
Level 10
Now i will do a error scan with hdtune to see if everything is ok. Everything works fine now and thats why it is strange. Could it be the hdd even if not showing any errors?

haihane
Level 13
i don't use hdtune myself, so i can't comment much on that.
i use a combination of Crystaldiskinfo (to read SMART data), AOMEI partition assistant (surface scan), and maybe throw in Recuva for data recovery.

when i notice 100% disk usage (Task Manager), i use Process Explorer to find up which program had been hogging it. some also swear by Task Manager's own disk activity usage to find out problem.

but when you said your partition disappeared briefly, and if i were you, i'd start backing things up immediately.

are you, by any chance, running a software raid? (disk management, mirrored volume)
when i used to run software raid for my drives, especially after a sudden power loss, windows would try to sync both drives (constant 100% usage until both are synced up).

or a hardware raid perhaps?

haihane
Level 13

after replying to you, i went to check on my own Raid and found this.
i should thank you, running media patrol on the disk now.

"AMD Help File" wrote:
The Physical Drive–Media Patrol tab allows you to start Media Patrol on an individual physical drive (also called hard disk drive). You can also run Media Patrol on all physical drives at the same time.

Media Patrol is a routine maintenance procedure that checks the magnetic media on each physical drive, sector by sector. Media Patrol checks physical drives assigned to logical drives, spare drives and currently unassigned physical drives that were once part of a logical drive or a spare. Media Patrol does not check new physical drives that have never been configured nor physical drives assigned as JBOD.

Unlike Synchronization and Redundancy Check, Media Patrol is concerned with the condition of the media itself, not the data recorded on the media. If Media Patrol encounters a suspect sector, it will attempt to regenerate the data and write to the suspect sector. If the write operation is successful, Media Patrol continues checking other sectors. If the write operation fails, Media Patrol reports the error to your PC's system log and to the physical drive's Bad Sector Log. This action triggers a BSL update message and an email message if you enabled that notification option.

You can set up a Media Patrol to begin immediately (on demand) or schedule a Media Patrol for a time when there is less demand on the RAID system

Shakecip
Level 10
No, i use just intel rapid storage driver but no other software but in event viewer it shows an error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

haihane
Level 13
surface scan the entire thing

Shakecip
Level 10
Could be a psu problem? I am doing a surface scan for a while now.