cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Xpert Problem

LBManiac
Level 7
I installed all the software on my new motherboard and was quite keen to try out FanXpert. I want to be able to turn the fans off when idle as my computer is in bedroom.

When I run the wizard the fans go through the motions slowing down. The CPU fan eventually stops but the 2 case fans (Arctic PWM fans) slow down until just before they stop then spin up to full speed again. The end result is the CPU fan seems to set a normal curve but the case fans have a spike at the start of the curve which seems to disable controlling them completely and them running at full speed constantly.

Only way to fix this was to uninstall the AI suite and fall back to setting the curve in the BIOS (which works ok) but unfortunately does not have the auto off function.

Is anyone having this same issue with FanXpert?
9 REPLIES 9

eshalygin
Level 7
You may edit their parameters in the FanXpret config file. Take a look here, for example.

I have the same issue with my Arctic PWM fans! I have Liquid Freezer 360 and all the fans spike to like 98% on the first measurement on the Fan Expert then dip and go back up to 100%.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip! Worked great!

eshalygin wrote:
You may edit their parameters in the FanXpret config file. Take a look here, for example.

Glad to see someone else is having the exact same problem, it has popped up a few times now.

Something is causing the fans to speed up when they should be gradually slowing down until they stop.

I know it is possible to change the text in the files but surely this shouldn't be necessary for software specifically designed to handle this.

LBManiac wrote:
Glad to see someone else is having the exact same problem, it has popped up a few times now.

Something is causing the fans to speed up when they should be gradually slowing down until they stop.

I know it is possible to change the text in the files but surely this shouldn't be necessary for software specifically designed to handle this.

Agreed it was designed to handle this however it looks like the issue was there for over 2 years so doubt it'll ever get patched. It's probably just some bug they never go around to fixing.

LBManiac wrote:

This is due to the non-standard behaviour of Arctic PWM fans, AFAIK. In my fans collection (Arctic 13 CO, F12 PWM, Noctua, Cooler Master, and Corsair fans) only Arctic fans show this problem, All others are handled by FanXpert as expected.

eshalygin wrote:
This is due to the non-standard behaviour of Arctic PWM fans, AFAIK. In my fans collection (Arctic 13 CO, F12 PWM, Noctua, Cooler Master, and Corsair fans) only Arctic fans show this problem, All others are handled by FanXpert as expected.

What behaviour do they have?

I have now got them set in the bios to run at 10% lowest which equates to around 500 rpm. HWInfo reports that they have both dropped to 0 rpm at times.

Is there a way to get them to work with AI suite 3?

Fan Expert on x370 seems to be broken at the moment, It has been said your best to set the fans up in BIOS/EFI and not use the software till the issue is corrected with a BIOS/EFI update.

Yeah AI suite seems to break something each time I put it on especially the fans (even without touching fanxpert)

Should have know from experience it would be a let down. Great board with all the extras could ever need and the software is crap (as bad the the captcha on here lol 😕 )

I fixed most of my Fan Xpert problems by resetting the UEFI to default settings and then forcing every single fan header to use PWM. No problems with Fan Xpert ever since.

I noticed that Auto put one of the fans on voltage regulated instead of PWM sometimes and that's what was causing me issues.