cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20CB from Intel i5 to i7

memo811
Level 7
Hi all,

I have a G20CB with 970 graphics card and 32gb ram (i upgraded the RAM myself from 16GB)
It has an intel i5 cpu and I wanted to change it to i7. However, I experienced
*some problems when trying to boot up the computer after the CPU change.

The monitor is black and the USB ports does not seem to be working. I have searched the web a lot and found out that reseting BIOS (CMOS) could work, but that did not help either.

Does anybody have any tips?*
14 REPLIES 14

chilinmichael
Level 10
Did you make sure you were on the latest BIOS revision before changing over? Does the old CPU still work fine? Which CPU to which CPU did you go?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Did you make sure you were on the latest BIOS revision before changing over? Does the old CPU still work fine? Which CPU to which CPU did you go?

sorry the hijack but chillin I noticed you have a g20cb like me with a gtx 980 which is 180w? could you have a read of my latest thread just posted
much appreciated if you could

chilinmichael wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Yes I havent found any new updates for the BIOS. (through the asus command-app)
My old cpu: i5-6400 2,7 ghz
New cpu: i7-7700k, 4,2 ghz

is there another way to locate BIOS update?

Asus11
Level 7
there is a small cable connector and on the board it says ''battery'' remove this and wait 5-10 mins and refit it and power up that should sort it as it resets the bios

Asus11 wrote:
there is a small cable connector and on the board it says ''battery'' remove this and wait 5-10 mins and refit it and power up that should sort it as it resets the bios

Thank you. Is this necessary though when I have tried to reset BIOS using "COMS" or something?

chilinmichael
Level 10
That may be your issue, the MB probably doesn't support 7-series CPUs. You'd want a 6700 regular like I have (K would do nothing for you as you can't overclock)
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
That may be your issue, the MB probably doesn't support 7-series CPUs. You'd want a 6700 regular like I have (K would do nothing for you as you can't overclock)

Thanks again.
So there is nothing else I could try?

chilinmichael
Level 10
Unfortunately, probably not. Return that CPU and go with 6700 regular model.

It looks like I did find a BIOS update on ASUS.com. Im going to try that before returning the cpu.
However, the driver was .CAP file? How do I install that?