cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard RGB LEDs no longer light up

Xeekk
Level 7
After finally getting everything setup for my new desktop the motherboard lights all went out. I'm referring to the aesthetic RGB lighting on the board. I've toyed with all of the setting sin the BIOS related to this (there are 2 I believe) and I can't get them to come back on. They're never on. They worked for at least a day then quit. Eventually the RGB lighting on my AMD Wraith cooler also failed to come on, so now I have absolutely no RGB lighting at all. I've tried resetting all of the plugs for these to no avail. I'm not sure what could have happened since this all started well into the software portion of my build. I also updated the BIOS to the latest here on the forums (1001), but that did not help; though my fan and temps look more like they're supposed to thanks to it.

Everything works great right now except for the lighting. If I have to replace the board I will; for the price I really want EVERYTHING to work.

Any ideas? I've already sent a support ticket to ASUS, but no response yet.
40 REPLIES 40

LBManiac
Level 7
This happened to me too, the way I fixed it was to go into the Aura program and click the small refresh button at the top right of the window.

LBManiac wrote:
This happened to me too, the way I fixed it was to go into the Aura program and click the small refresh button at the top right of the window.

I opened the AURA software and clicked the refresh icon on the top right of the window. ASUS AURA crashed immediately after and opened my browser to a drdump website (I've emailed that to ASUS support). Now AURA crashes on launch every single time. I tried reinstalling it with no luck. Well, that's an interesting turn in events.

ASUS Support wants me to RMA my board for "repair" which I guess means they're not just going to replace it. I wonder if I can get Newegg to RMA the board any faster, but they are out of stock right now. Either way I think I'm going to have this new computer build taking up space on my dining room table for a long time. I'm pretty disappointed. :mad:

Xeekk wrote:
ASUS Support wants me to RMA my board for "repair" which I guess means they're not just going to replace it. I wonder if I can get Newegg to RMA the board any faster, but they are out of stock right now. Either way I think I'm going to have this new computer build taking up space on my dining room table for a long time. I'm pretty disappointed. :mad:

I just think its the buggy software. I had the same problem and the drdump thing came up. I got the MB lights to stay on, I don't know how, but my Trident RGB ram is still not showing up in the Aura software. The price of being a early adopter I suppose.

Tom71 wrote:
I just think its the buggy software. I had the same problem and the drdump thing came up. I got the MB lights to stay on, I don't know how, but my Trident RGB ram is still not showing up in the Aura software. The price of being a early adopter I suppose.

I think it's hardware in my case. If I remove the hard drives and just about everything not necessary to boot into the UEFI and reset the BIOS the lights still do not come on. They should after a reset like that.

A funny story though. ASUS Support gave me instructions to reset the CMOS by removing all power sources and the CMOS battery. I don't think that works with modern boards using UEFI as I thought settings were stored in something like EEPROM. Sure enough after going through all of that the BIOS settings didn't change. The CMOS Reset button should be in the instructions 😛 That works. I'm guessing the CMOS battery is only there for the RTC.

I've decided to RMA the board with Newegg for a refund since the chances of me getting a replacement with unstable stock levels are zilch. I'll have to put an order in just as soon as they become available on Friday. I'll be on page refresh duty until then.

Xeekk wrote:
I think it's hardware in my case. If I remove the hard drives and just about everything not necessary to boot into the UEFI and reset the BIOS the lights still do not come on. They should after a reset like that.

A funny story though. ASUS Support gave me instructions to reset the CMOS by removing all power sources and the CMOS battery. I don't think that works with modern boards using UEFI as I thought settings were stored in something like EEPROM. Sure enough after going through all of that the BIOS settings didn't change. The CMOS Reset button should be in the instructions 😛 That works. I'm guessing the CMOS battery is only there for the RTC.

I've decided to RMA the board with Newegg for a refund since the chances of me getting a replacement with unstable stock levels are zilch. I'll have to put an order in just as soon as they become available on Friday. I'll be on page refresh duty until then.

Best of luck to you on getting a board. I had my board pre ordered on Amazon when first available to pre order, 2 weeks after release and still nothing. I decided to check Newegg one afternoon and they have the CH in stock. After I came out of shock I quickly ordered it and canceled with Amazon.

Other than the buggy Aura software, and my CPU lid looking like it was glued on by a kid in grade school, I'm liking the Ryzen. Its quick at everything ive done for work, and for gaming its runs everything I have maxed out at 3440x1440 75hz using a single GTX 1080, and on a 144hz 1440p screen no problems either. I did have a couple 480's in at first but the results were all over the place with them.

Tom71 wrote:
Best of luck to you on getting a board. I had my board pre ordered on Amazon when first available to pre order, 2 weeks after release and still nothing. I decided to check Newegg one afternoon and they have the CH in stock. After I came out of shock I quickly ordered it and canceled with Amazon.

Other than the buggy Aura software, and my CPU lid looking like it was glued on by a kid in grade school, I'm liking the Ryzen. Its quick at everything ive done for work, and for gaming its runs everything I have maxed out at 3440x1440 75hz using a single GTX 1080, and on a 144hz 1440p screen no problems either. I did have a couple 480's in at first but the results were all over the place with them.

The Newegg rep told me they're expecting to have the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero in stock on 3/24. Amazon doesn't seem to have anyone selling this board when I looked. Fry's will have some early next month.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you are still in the window go through the egg.
Otherwise ASUS RMA does take time and its up to them on whether to repair or replace and there is nothing that says if it comes down to replacement that it wont be a refurbed board.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
If you are still in the window go through the egg.
Otherwise ASUS RMA does take time and its up to them on whether to repair or replace and there is nothing that says if it comes down to replacement that it wont be a refurbed board.

It's quite new to be thinking about refurb. I wonder if there's an AURA chip on the board that if replaced would fix the issue. I also kind of wished I had more technical information about how AURA works on ASUS boards as I'm looking to do some case mods that include existing electronic parts I already have. I suppose I can at least just look at the technicals for 5050 strips to know what I need to know.