Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Evanair View Post
    Have you tried updating to the 1001 BIOS (or the 2T one) that was sticked at the top of the forums?
    Yeah, this is persistent on 902 and 1001. No difference between the two.

New ROGer Array Firemonkey PC Specs
    Firemonkey PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorRYZEN 1800X
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200
    Graphics Card #1R290X
    Graphics Card #2R290X
    Sound CardS/Blaster Z
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsun 960 pro 1T
    CPU CoolerEK supremacy
    CaseXigmatek Elysium
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1300 G2
    Keyboard Asus ROG Claymore
    Mouse FUNC MS 3
    Headset Razer Carcharias
    OS Windows 10 pro
    Network RouterDraytek 2830
    Accessory #1 Vapourchill LS on standby

Hi , I've been having almost the same issues with mine . First time it happened I stripped my entire rig down , did the memory 1 slot , disconnected all ssd ect , removed both g/cards , flashed the bios , reset bios all to no avail 3hrs as its all custom loop . I eventually got it to post after re-seating the cpu and refitted the water block . It worked fine for about 3 days and then did the same again . This time I just took my waterblock of and pulled the lever up and down cpu socket and refit the cpu block again . If it posts it comes up as a new CPU . If you tried this then fair cop but it seems to work on mine . I think its a problem with my EK backplate gasket which they are sending a new one out in the post FOC . Hope this helps as I thought it was memory as well . Hopefully we get a stable bios that can run 4.1 @ 3200 as it owned on 0702 shame it can brick the board

ROG Member Array icubed PC Specs
    icubed PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen R7 1800X
    Memory (part number)CMD32GX4M2B2800C14
    Graphics Card #1XFX Radeon R9 Rury X
    MonitorSamsung 43" Plasma
    Storage #1Samsung 960 pro M.2 512 GB
    Storage #2Toshiba P300 3TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MasterLiquid 240
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Headset Audio-technica ATH-ANC70
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2
    Accessory #2 XBOX One Wireless Controller

Build was running well; Then dead with Q-Code "8"*mid-way through POST

Crashed with Q-Code "8" yesterday after 138 minutes of encoding video. Rebooted with same BIOS settings and was greeted with Radeon's "General Wattman Settings Failure" and that settings were reset. I did not have an OC set through the Wattman settings, so nothing should have failed.
    So I moved on to today when the system crashed with just Microsoft Outlook running on the desktop (whole list of things running in the background). The Q-Codes were just cycling through on the display on the motherboard.
    I shutdown and restarted the box and the failed OC screen during post popped up.
    Troubleshooting:
    Dropped DRAM down to 2133 MHz (stock); post and then failed OC screen note --> Q-Code "8"
    Dropped CPU down to stock; post and then failed OC screen note--> Q-Code "8"
    Cleared CMOS and set BIOS to Auto; post and then failed OC screen note --> Q-Code "8"
    Increased CPU to 4.0 GHz with Vcore in auto; Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS
    Cleared CMOS; same Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS
    Cleared CMOS and Flash Bios to 0079; same Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS
    Cleared CMOS and Flash Bios back to 1002; same Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS
    Cleared CMOS, Pulled DRAM, AIO and CPU from board and reseated them; same Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS
    Cleared CMOS, Pulled GPU Radeon R9 Fury X and inserted Radeon R9 380X; same Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS
    Cleared CMOS, Pulled R9 380X and inserted R9 Fury X as well as dropped out one stick of DRAM; same Q-Code "8" mid-way through post --> Not able to access BIOS

Stopped and seeking help...

The Q-Code "8" comes on just after the "beep" and the screen starts to load.

Is this Ryzen CPU dead?

Build:
    CPU Ryzen R7 1800X
    Frequency 3950 (40*98.76)
    Vcore Set 1.395 Reported 1.395 under load, Reported 1.46 idle
    AIO H20 cooler Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240
    Temps @ Load 83 degrees C (both sensors)
    Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum
    P/N CMD32GX4M2B2800C14 (Not on QVL)
    Configuration 2 X 16 GB
    Frequency 1316.8 MHz (2633.6) - Ratio 3:40
    Note1: 2799 MHz (2666/200*105) was not stable after 90 minutes of AIDA64 stress testing.
    Timings 14-16-16-36-62-1T
    Note: 2T was not stable with these modules above stock 2133 MHz with stress testing on any of the BIOS versions
    except 0902.
    DRAM Voltage Set 1.35 - Reported at 1.375
    SoC Voltage Set 1.15 - Reported at 0.9XXX (I am not able to remember the exact value)
    Test Passed "No Errors" with MS memory test before first crash yesterday.

Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
    BIOS 1002
    Note1: 0902 was ok at 2666 and 4.0 GHz
    Note2: flashed 0079 however system would crash due to DRAM Q-Code "0d"

Graphics Card Radeon R9 Fury X
    GPU Frequency 1125 MHz
    Memory Freq. 666 MHz
    Software 17.3.3

Storage
    NVMe Samsung SSD 960 512GB
    SSD Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
    HDD 3X Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

OS Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1703 (Build 15063.138)
    Power Plan High Performance Plan
    Note: AMD Balanced Power Plan was downloaded and installed as the system was crashing due to background programs
    during light sleep states. New Power Plan install fixed the issues even though I was not using it.
    HPET Enabled - through cmd prompt
    Note: system timings were not able to be validated within 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike benches and stress tests without
    HPET enabled.

CPU-Z Validator http://valid.x86.fr/20vqgi
    Sorry no screenshots are they are on the NVMe and I do not have another machine that supports that type of drive (FX-8370 and FX-8120 builds)
    Last edited by icubed; 04-21-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Changed "Note" to "Not"; removed the "*" spacing markers from the copy/paste

icubed PC Specs
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2

Q-Code 8 during POST Update

Some more troubleshooting:

With GPU installed in any of the PCIe slots - Q-Code progression (62 --> 8)

Without GPU installed - Q-Code progression (99 --> A2 --> d6 --> 0d); I think that this is the normal progression without a GPU installed.

Could this be a Northbridge problem?

icubed PC Specs
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2

Q-Code 8 during POST Update 2

Ok, so I tried the Ryzen 7 1800X in on a ASUS PRIME B350M-A motherboard and had similar results.
    The B350M-A would post however would not allow the BIOS to be entered as the system would crash.
    The system would try to boot to Windows, however, would crash as soon as the Windows 10 visual loader/spinner came on the screen.

Next to rule out a hard drive failure, all used drives were disconnected from the motherboard, a clean drive and a USB with the Windows 10 installation media were loaded on the next try. The system started and after POST it crashed just a few seconds into reading from the USB drive. The USB drive used had a LED light on it that flashes when it becomes active.

I think the CPU is toast and that some other post I have read on this subject may be AMD Ryzen related and not the C6H motherboard, but that is just my guess.

Any thoughts?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Memory (part number)tdrgd4 16g3000hc16cdc01
    Graphics Card #1XFX R9 390/ EK water block OC'd
    Graphics Card #2XFX R9 390/ EK water block OC'd
    Sound Cardon board
    Monitor2X 24" veiwsonic 1080p/ 55"Samsung 4k curved
    Storage #1Samsung evo 840, 250gig sys drive
    Storage #25 other mixed hdd's
    CPU CoolerEK C6H mono block
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1500w dps rgb
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Headset Turtle Beach Star Wars X wing edition
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1
    Accessory #1 Airplex radical 2 480 on gpus swifttech d5
    Accessory #2 Airplex radical 2 480 on cpu swifttech d5
    Accessory #3 Airplex radical 2 280 on sb p500 TT

wow man ...sorry bout your luck....i don't know what to say ...that's a lot of money to burn up....try to loosen up the mounting pressure you are using ...maybe ...just maybe you are tightening your block or cpu cooler to much....
    maybe its the back plate ...... are you sure its not the ram? and how the hell can you get to the windows loading screen and not enter bios?

icubed PC Specs
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2

Q-Code 8 during POST Update 3 - loosened up the mounting pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Demoniacstar View Post
    wow man ...sorry bout your luck....i don't know what to say ...that's a lot of money to burn up....try to loosen up the mounting pressure you are using ...maybe ...just maybe you are tightening your block or cpu cooler to much....
    maybe its the back plate ...... are you sure its not the ram? and how the hell can you get to the windows loading screen and not enter bios?
    Ok, so I loosened up the mounting pressure and still had the same results.
    I do not think that the back plate is the challenge as the AIO from Cooler Master is able to use the back plate and mounting hardware that comes preinstalled on the C6H.

I am not 100% sure it is not the RAM, however, the Corsair CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 is on the QVL and both it and mine (CMD32GX4M2B2800C14) default to standard C15 timings and 2133 MHz if no OC is applied. Besides, the QVL showed that a Corsair 128 GB set will work with this board so I do not know.

I have no idea how it will start to try and load Windows but not let the BIOS load it must be a power related issue as I have never seen this happen before.

Thank you for your help!

Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Sound Cardon board
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat

Quote Originally Posted by icubed View Post
    I do not think that the back plate is the challenge as the AIO from Cooler Master is able to use the back plate and mounting hardware that comes preinstalled on the C6H.

I am not 100% sure it is not the RAM, however, the Corsair CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 is on the QVL and both it and mine (CMD32GX4M2B2800C14) default to standard C15 timings and 2133 MHz if no OC is applied. Besides, the QVL showed that a Corsair 128 GB set will work with this board so I do not know.

I have no idea how it will start to try and load Windows but not let the BIOS load it must be a power related issue as I have never seen this happen before.

Thank you for your help!
    there is no way that a corsair 128gig kit is compatible with this board ....due to the simple fact that this board only supports 64 gigs of ram ...at a max of 16 gigs per stick.....and as of right now the best config on this board for ram is only 8 gig sticks ....8x2 for 16 gigs .....some people have 32 gig working .....and even then its a board loto it seems! as well as a cpu loto as to what you are actually able to run right now ......i would definitely be checking into your ram ....and you do know you have to hit delete to get into bios .......if windows is making onto the loading screen you are going right past the spot where you have to hit the delete key to get into bios.....and i do not know about single gpu set ups cuz i run two 390's so i do know that when oc'en ram with two gpu's you do need about 1.97 to 1.99 PLL voltage to get higher then 2666 mhz with dual rank ram ....this board also has a boot to bios button ....mine works very well .....start the pc and immediately hit the little red button which will restart the pc and boot to bios ....if you hit the red button and it don't go to bios and your stuck on code 8.......hit the red button again and immediately press and hold the big red start button it should post past the code 8 and then let go of that start button and it will boot to a screen where you have to hit F1 to go to bios ......if your still having issues getting to bios you may have to shut off psu at the psu and hold the reset bios button on the back of board at the i/o shield .....hold that button in for 30 seconds ....count it out ....release button ....turn on psu .....hit the start button ...
    then again immediately press the little red button .....to get to that hit F1 to go to bios screen....
    i have had times when i can't get to bios or can't get things to work at all and get stuck on code 8 .....or stuck on a f9 or 0d......and this little trick with the board buttons has always worked for me ...... you might also want to take out all ram but one stick.....when running 1 stick put it in A1 ram slot .......when running two sticks of ram you need to put the ram in A2 and B2 slots .....check the manual for proper ram slot placement ...i do know my board will not even try to boot with my two sticks of ram in slots A1 and B1........sometimes you need to just take ram out and turn it on ....then shut it down after you get the no ram code reinstal ram then boot again ....these things have worked for me time after time .....i have put some seriously high voltage into my cpu and my motherboard trying to learn it and get ram speeds higher .....and i seriously doubt you have damaged anything unless you have a very bad heat issue ...
    Last edited by Demoniacstar; 04-25-2017 at 05:40 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by icubed View Post

Thank you for your help!
    You might have issues with the first few PCI-E Lanes of the chip. Try putting the GPU in the lower PCIEX16_2 slot and boot, it uses the 8-16 lanes only where the first slot uses 1-16. If that still doesn't work, move it to the PCIEX4 bottom slot, this will run through the PCH and use lanes 20-24. 17-20 are used on the M.2 slot. This should help you figure out if some of the CPU PCIE Lanes are fried. If any of these allows you past Q-8 and into BIOS or windows, you have a bad chip and should look into a Warrenty replacement. Q-8 is basically a PCIE Video failure, I get it all the time when I'm pushing OCs on my GPU. I let the GPUs cool off, and it boots eventually.

Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Sound Cardon board
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat

Quote Originally Posted by levelfifty View Post
    You might have issues with the first few PCI-E Lanes of the chip. Try putting the GPU in the lower PCIEX16_2 slot and boot, it uses the 8-16 lanes only where the first slot uses 1-16. If that still doesn't work, move it to the PCIEX4 bottom slot, this will run through the PCH and use lanes 20-24. 17-20 are used on the M.2 slot. This should help you figure out if some of the CPU PCIE Lanes are fried. If any of these allows you past Q-8 and into BIOS or windows, you have a bad chip and should look into a Warrenty replacement. Q-8 is basically a PCIE Video failure, I get it all the time when I'm pushing OCs on my GPU. I let the GPUs cool off, and it boots eventually.
    q-8 is not video failure .,....i ran stock clocks on my 390 gpu's and still got that q-8 code .....i also ran a 6870 ....1 6870 and got the q-8.....you have to look at the color that is also on when the failure happens ....yellow for ram ....red for cpu...white for gpu's .....and booting on green
    "08 is system agent initialization after microcode loading" .......it has nothing to do with the vga(gpu's)
    08 can be caused by too much or not enough SoC voltage.....can also be caused by not enough PLL voltage..... more then likely you need a little PLL.....
    or the sb 2.5 voltage if you are heavily overclocking the bclk.....this board does the same weird stuff with too much voltage as it does with not enough ...
    raising bclk over 104 will also drop sb and all pci-e lanes to gen2....so while overclocking and testing things out just leave that stuff in auto mode

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast