Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Demoniacstar View Post
    q-8 is not video failure .,....i ran stock clocks on my 390 gpu's and still got that q-8 code .....i also ran a 6870 ....1 6870 and got the q-8.....you have to look at the color that is also on when the failure happens ....yellow for ram ....red for cpu...white for gpu's .....and booting on green
    "08 is system agent initialization after microcode loading" .......it has nothing to do with the vga(gpu's)
    08 can be caused by too much or not enough SoC voltage.....can also be caused by not enough PLL voltage..... more then likely you need a little PLL.....
    or the sb 2.5 voltage if you are heavily overclocking the bclk.....this board does the same weird stuff with too much voltage as it does with not enough ...
    raising bclk over 104 will also drop sb and all pci-e lanes to gen2....so while overclocking and testing things out just leave that stuff in auto mode
    The Q-8 is not the 08 q-code. its 8_ Nothing on the 2nd LCD, just 8 on the first. RAM LED lit. I've only ever got it after a GPU crash.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Memory (part number)tdrgd4 16g3000hc16cdc01
    Graphics Card #1XFX R9 390/ EK water block OC'd
    Graphics Card #2XFX R9 390/ EK water block OC'd
    Sound Cardon board
    Monitor2X 24" veiwsonic 1080p/ 55"Samsung 4k curved
    Storage #1Samsung evo 840, 250gig sys drive
    Storage #25 other mixed hdd's
    CPU CoolerEK C6H mono block
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1500w dps rgb
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Headset Turtle Beach Star Wars X wing edition
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1
    Accessory #1 Airplex radical 2 480 on gpus swifttech d5
    Accessory #2 Airplex radical 2 480 on cpu swifttech d5
    Accessory #3 Airplex radical 2 280 on sb p500 TT

Quote Originally Posted by levelfifty View Post
    The Q-8 is not the 08 q-code. its 8_ Nothing on the 2nd LCD, just 8 on the first. RAM LED lit. I've only ever got it after a GPU crash.
    oooo i see...thanks for clarifying that to me.....something for me to watch for i guess....
    still seems odd to me.....cuz i have oc'ed the crap out of this board, my cpu .....and my sorry A$$ r9 390's ...lol....ive never got stuck on a 8 code....so odd....
    have you tried adding any PLL voltage when you get that code?......man don't you just love new systems and boards.....i do ...lol....the joys of experiencing new systems is awesome to me ...lol..the learning and the troubleshooting ....lol...
    when my 390's crash i just boot right up and get that o so familiar message from crimson that says the driver crashed and it restored default settings.
    but i also run high pll for some reason i have to run at the least 1.97 PLL voltage......if i lower it any more i get other qcode errors like 55...54....09....0d.....no other voltage will get me going except PLL......if i run Pll at 1.87 i got a 54 error .....if i run it at 1.89 i get a 55.....every time i raise it i get a different error code....and it does lead you to think it is other voltages that are off.. but i have tried all kinds of things and voltages to use lower PLL voltage.... nothing else seems to pull it thru to a boot though..its all crazy to me .....nothing like overclocking on my 8350 in the crosshair v formula z board......
    man i could ramble on for hours about my experience overclock on this system and about the things that have worked for me and the things that have not
    i am also using bios 0082 btw.....it is my favorite out of all these new test bios and yes i have tried them all and 0082 is the best on my board with my setup...

Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Sound Cardon board
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat

so after further testing and messing around with this board and RAM TIMINGS it seems i can bring on the 8_ qcode when either one of two things happen ....ram timings are not right for the clock speed you are trying to run ......or RAM voltage is too low or AND SoC voltage is too low.......and i'm glad i looked into this
    because .....i just booted 3200mhz on my 3000mhz team group R.O.G. dual rank ram without bclk..... i am a straight 3200mhz ram oc with 1.4 ram voltage with 1.15 SoC voltage....
    with 18-18-18-18-39 timings......i might be able to lower ram voltage .,...i don't know yet.....still testing ....
    but this is the first time i got this ram to even boot at 3200 without bclk!!! it excites me a little bit here...lmao

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    BaneSilvermoon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G-skill 4x8 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCase Integrated 360mm Liquid AIO
    CaseDEEPCOOL GENOME ROG
    Power SupplySilverstone Strider SST-ST1200-PT
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Stealth
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Win10 Home
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

with 18-18-18-18-39 timings......i might be able to lower ram voltage .,...i don't know yet.....still testing ....
    Different kit, but I've actually been able to pass memtest at stock voltage on a 4x8 kit if I loosen the timings up enough.
    Just did my final 1.35v test today and got it tightened up to 19-16-15-15-41. Trying to increase the voltage a bit and see if I can bring the CL down now.

Any suggestions other than DRAM voltage? I'm still running on 1002, so I don't have ProcODT. Probably won't until it goes to an officially released BIOS.

ROG Member Array icubed PC Specs
    icubed PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen R7 1800X
    Memory (part number)CMD32GX4M2B2800C14
    Graphics Card #1XFX Radeon R9 Rury X
    MonitorSamsung 43" Plasma
    Storage #1Samsung 960 pro M.2 512 GB
    Storage #2Toshiba P300 3TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MasterLiquid 240
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Headset Audio-technica ATH-ANC70
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2
    Accessory #2 XBOX One Wireless Controller

You might have issues with the first few PCI-E Lanes of the chip. Try putting the GPU in the lower PCIEX16_2 slot and boot, it uses the 8-16 lanes only where the first slot uses 1-16. If that still doesn't work, move it to the PCIEX4 bottom slot, this will run through the PCH and use lanes 20-24. 17-20 are used on the M.2 slot. This should help you figure out if some of the CPU PCIE Lanes are fried. If any of these allows you past Q-8 and into BIOS or windows, you have a bad chip and should look into a Warrenty replacement. Q-8 is basically a PCIE Video failure, I get it all the time when I'm pushing OCs on my GPU. I let the GPUs cool off, and it boots eventually.
    I did try each of the PCIe lanes with three different GPUs one at a time. The GPUs tested were a Radeon R9 Fury X, Radeon R9 380X and Radeon 5450.
    All of the GPUs were recognized by the C6H and I only received a recognizable error progression when trying to boot without a GPU installed.

All test resulted in the Q-Code 62 to Red light Q-Code 8. Where the 8 is in the first or left position of the two digit display (XX --> 8X or 8_).

Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Sound Cardon board
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat

Quote Originally Posted by icubed View Post
    I did try each of the PCIe lanes with three different GPUs one at a time. The GPUs tested were a Radeon R9 Fury X, Radeon R9 380X and Radeon 5450.
    All of the GPUs were recognized by the C6H and I only received a recognizable error progression when trying to boot without a GPU installed.

All test resulted in the Q-Code 62 to Red light Q-Code 8. Where the 8 is in the first or left position of the two digit display (XX --> 8X or 8_).
    up your PLL.....1.98

icubed PC Specs
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2

there is no way that a corsair 128gig kit is compatible with this board ....due to the simple fact that this board only supports 64 gigs of ram ...at a max of 16 gigs per stick.....and as of right now the best config on this board for ram is only 8 gig sticks ....8x2 for 16 gigs .....some people have 32 gig working .....and even then its a board loto it seems! as well as a cpu loto as to what you are actually able to run right now ......i would definitely be checking into your ram ....and you do know you have to hit delete to get into bios .......if windows is making onto the loading screen you are going right past the spot where you have to hit the delete key to get into bios.....and i do not know about single gpu set ups cuz i run two 390's so i do know that when oc'en ram with two gpu's you do need about 1.97 to 1.99 PLL voltage to get higher then 2666 mhz with dual rank ram ....this board also has a boot to bios button ....mine works very well .....start the pc and immediately hit the little red button which will restart the pc and boot to bios ....if you hit the red button and it don't go to bios and your stuck on code 8.......hit the red button again and immediately press and hold the big red start button it should post past the code 8 and then let go of that start button and it will boot to a screen where you have to hit F1 to go to bios ......if your still having issues getting to bios you may have to shut off psu at the psu and hold the reset bios button on the back of board at the i/o shield .....hold that button in for 30 seconds ....count it out ....release button ....turn on psu .....hit the start button ...
    then again immediately press the little red button .....to get to that hit F1 to go to bios screen....
    i have had times when i can't get to bios or can't get things to work at all and get stuck on code 8 .....or stuck on a f9 or 0d......and this little trick with the board buttons has always worked for me ...... you might also want to take out all ram but one stick.....when running 1 stick put it in A1 ram slot .......when running two sticks of ram you need to put the ram in A2 and B2 slots .....check the manual for proper ram slot placement ...i do know my board will not even try to boot with my two sticks of ram in slots A1 and B1........sometimes you need to just take ram out and turn it on ....then shut it down after you get the no ram code reinstal ram then boot again ....these things have worked for me time after time .....i have put some seriously high voltage into my cpu and my motherboard trying to learn it and get ram speeds higher .....and i seriously doubt you have damaged anything unless you have a very bad heat issue ...
    Hello,

The problem is the boot makes it through all of the initial POST testing and then shuts down the system right after the beep, when the screen starts to load, with the C6H board.
    On the Prime B350M-A board the boot makes it past the beep to where the BIOS screen comes up. If the key to enter the BIOS is press the system crashes. If the POST is allowed to transition to the OS boot then the system crashes at that point.

Similar failures, just on two different motherboards with the same CPU.

As you may see from some of my Benchmark results, linked below, I have tested this RIG at different CPU, DRAM and GPU settings as I was trying to tune in the best playable 24/7 settings I could find. So yes, I do understand how to enter the BIOS and I also understand how to use the other physical features on the C6H as I have RTFM.

3DMark Timespy 1.0 results:

3990 MHz CPU and 2798 MHz DRAM 3/30/2017 --> BCLK 105 with 38X
    http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1469826

4100 MHz CPU and 2132 MHz DRAM 4/4/2017
    http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1497010

4000 MHz CPU and 2667 MHz DRAM 4/5/2017
    http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1502012

As far as the memory goes this RIG started up with all setting in AUTO and the DRAM at 2661.2 MHz as validated http://valid.x86.fr/5aj2cy back on March 12th, 2017.
    The only times I would have DRAM issues was when I increased the BCLK to get to the 2800 MHz mark and then run stress tests with Prime95 or AIDA64. The temperatures of my CPU when OC'ed between 3.8 GHz and 4.0 GHz always ran around 83 to 87 degrees depending on when my AC unit was running. When I tried 4.1 GHz CPU and 2666 MHz DRAM I failed AIDA64 around the two hour mark with a few spikes above 95 degrees.

In the dozen or so computer builds that I have done in the past I have not selected memory based solely on the QVL as many times the number of Kits out in the market exceed the amount of time the motherboard OEMs have to test each and every kit. I have also been able to get a kit from any top manufacture to at least load and run with the standard out of the box settings. Overclocking on the other hand is hit or miss depending on how fast and tight you really want or need the system.

The information I did not give is that the PSU tested/works fine in my old rig that is running a FX-8370 OC'ed to 4.3 GHZ with 32GB of DDR3 at 2133 MHz. The Corsair DRAM is tested at 2400 MHz. This RIG is using an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard as well as running a R9 390X in crossfire with a R9 290.
    I did have to drop the CPU OC from 5.3 GHz with 8 GB of DRAM to 4.7 GHz when I put in 16 GB of DRAM, both ran at the rated 2400 MHz. When I put in the 32 GB (4x8) Kit I had to drop the CPU OC to 4.3 GHz and the DRAM Kit never made it to the rated 2400 MHz. I am ok with the slower CPU and DRAM frequencies as the system as a whole is faster based upon Benchmarking, encoding and real game play.

Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Sound Cardon board
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat

Quote Originally Posted by icubed View Post
    Hello,

The problem is the boot makes it through all of the initial POST testing and then shuts down the system right after the beep, when the screen starts to load, with the C6H board.
    i have the same issue if i DO NOT RUN 1.98 PLL VOLTAGE

ROG Member Array

Replacing the motherboard fixed the issue

I also had a Q-Code 8 on a Ryzen system. It was fixed with a new Crosshair VI Hero motherboard.

My partner and I have two identical systems: 1800x, Crosshair VI, and the rest. One day, my partner's refused to post (Code 8), and would only sometimes enter Windows. Once it did, it seemed to be fine. We tried everything - swapping CPUs and heatsinks, reseating the heatsink, putting the heatsink on gently without screws, dusting the socket, BIOS updates, re-assembling the entire system. It posted several times afterwards and we thought it was fixed, but Code 8 popped up again the next day. Only a new motherboard fixed the issue (we have been running the system for about a month now without issues).

Here is my thread about it for reference: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...oot-and-wakeup

In my case, it was NOT a CPU issue (swapped CPUs, stress-tested both for 10-12 hours, etc.) or a heatsink issue.
    Last edited by booseek; 04-28-2017 at 05:37 PM.

icubed PC Specs
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyOCZ ZX 1250W
    Mouse Razer Taipan
    Mouse Pad None
    OS Windows 10 pro x64
    Accessory #1 OSVR HDK2

Update

I have obtained a new Ryzen 1800X CPU and launched the system without a challenge with the motherboard or memory the way it was set up when the system crashed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4