cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Long Boot Up

Trejon
Level 7
I've been an Asus fan for years, and this is the first time I've had any issues with a motherboard. I have bios 0902, but it takes at least 90 seconds from power on to reach the desktop, and I do not get to see the POST screen, when video finally shows its in Win 10. The Q code shows 24/40.

MB- Crossshair 6 hero
CPU - Ryzen 1700
Ram-HX426C15FBK2/16 (2x8g HyperXfury from QVL list)
Graphics- Evga Geforce GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR (DP cable)

Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

alexp999
Level 9
I've been having this since 0902, it's like it has had a power cut or clear CMOS and does the full power up sequence, except all my settings are remembered.

Going to try 1001 later to see if it fixes it.

Let me know if it helps, if it does I'll give it a shot.

So trying different items, I plug the EVGA 1060 to a different monitor with a DVI cable and it boots up much much faster. If I go back to the DP cable, its slow. If I unplug the cable at the video card, then plug it in 10-15 secs later it boots faster. I can see the POST/Splash screen while using the DVI, but not the DP cable. Any thoughts? Had no problem using the same cable/monitor with a sabertooth 990fx motherboard.

It's the same on 1001, I did a cold boot this morning and it actually powered off and back on again as part of it's pre-beep sequence.

Once I get the POST beep it flies in to Windows, just seems to be slow at initialising everything, like fast boot has been disabled (or the power has been cut).

So after way to much Googling to see why the Display Port wouldnt work on boot up, I ordered 2 DP cables, neither seemed to help. So I found what did work was to set the CSM to auto/disabled, and the Secure Boot OS to UEFI.

Tada, system booted up and the DP worked correctly. I did a few reboots and it help, did a cold boot (shut down the pc, unplugged PSU) then powered it on and the BIOS didnt hold. Tested this 3 times, changed the 2032 CMOS battery, and same BIOS reset problem. So I tried turning the monitor off at bootup, then on after about 10 seconds and it works. If I ever need to go into BIOS Ill have to use the DVI monitor, this has been very frustrating to resolve.

I've sent a ticket to ASUS to see what they say.

alexp999 wrote:
I've been having this since 0902, it's like it has had a power cut or clear CMOS and does the full power up sequence, except all my settings are remembered.

Going to try 1001 later to see if it fixes it.

Any update? mine takes a good 15-30 seconds just to get to the post screen... then loads pretty slow for being on an ssd... Similar build to OP but i have an 1800x vs a 1700

JustinThyme
Level 13
I see no mention of if you have spinners connected.
This slows things down tremendously if you have CSM enabled and UEFI disabled as those disks have to spin up then the BIOS looks for a boot sector.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Mine at 1002, POST in 20s, boots into Windows for 5s. No OC at all, all by optimized defaults.
Previous motherboard (sabertooth 990fx rev 2.0) - for 3s and 5s accordingly.
Long POST is Nonsense!

Windows says mine takes 40s BIOS boot time. A lot of it is spent in POST I guess it will come once they finalize the BIOS and put in the AMD optimizations that were just released. I've got windows on M.2 drive.