cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ, Broadwell CPUs ?

biobg
Level 7
Hello,

I like the I7 5775c .... an I7 with a tdp of 65W LGA 1150. SO the question is, will my baby G20 aj take this CPU like a real lady or the MOBO will not support it. I have a great deal for this CPU so please answer fast, dont want to loose the opportunité

All the best
8 REPLIES 8

chilinmichael
Level 10
Most likely not. Different architectures, different chipsets and other varying components. I see yours is currently a 4th gen, correct (4xxx)?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Most likely not. Different architectures, different chipsets and other varying components. I see yours is currently a 4th gen, correct (4xxx)?

Yeah i have a i5 4460. The motherboard in the G20aj is a H97 i. The normal size H97 i supports the 5775c. so i thought that im good to go. the socket is exactly the same (atleast what is listed on intel's site LGA 1150.

chilinmichael wrote:

Asus also told me that apparantly it might work. Even ot the ASUS website the H97i is listed as supporting the Broadwell.

chilinmichael
Level 10
If that's the case, I couldn't say for certain. Were there any of our ROG G20 PCs offered with that board and a 5th gen CPU?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
If that's the case, I couldn't say for certain. Were there any of our ROG G20 PCs offered with that board and a 5th gen CPU?

Asus does not sell g20 with Broadwell. It is not listed on the website.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Then I'd say make sure there's a return policy and go for it, if so.

chilinmichael wrote:
Then I'd say make sure there's a return policy and go for it, if so.

Gathered some more information. So basically the H97 mobo is a wildcat codenamed and supports Haswell refresh CPUs such as the Devil Canion I7 and I5 like the 4690 cpu. The Wildcat Point mobos also support the Broadwell CPU architecture. Motherboards with a LGA 1150 socket that do not support 5th gen are codenamed Lynx Point and those are basically the H87 mobos. These boards need a special BIOS upgrade in order to support the 5th gen simply because the 14nm architecture needs a diferent 1.05v.

Yeah so in the G20AJ we have a H97-i Wildcat Point motherboard that in paper MUST SUPPORT 5th gen like a charm as well as the Haswell refresh cpus ( I7 4790k Devil's Canion and I5's such as the 4690 non K)

I want to say also that ASUS support is useless as f ck ...contacted them 4 times with the simple question if the mobo will run this cpu. All i got like answer was a copy paste from their 4y old outdated webpage that lists the G20 aj as supporting only the 7 series GTX GPUs (and we well know that AJ ships with 9 series, moreover i have a 1070 monster in my PC that chews all games up) So yeah, ASUS literally uses brainless ppl that copy paste info hoping that the consumer will be dumb and not having his homework done. Disapointed.

I think i'm good to go

All the best

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
that's all I can say, trial & error is the only answer. the socket is good, only the bios is the only issue due to the old cpu. let us know how it gets on?