cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XG Station 2 + GL702 Charging Over Thunderbolt?

Szlain
Level 7
Does anyone know whether the GL702 would charge over thunderbolt 3 if I plugged it into the XG Station 2?

I know the Razer core charges the Razer Blade over TB3 - I just wondered if ASUS implemented something similar?
6 REPLIES 6

Eleiyas
Level 10
I personally have no idea 😕

Although it does say on the official page of the ROG XG Station 2:

- Thunderbolt™ 3 for 8X faster data transfer and 4X the video bandwidth while also supplying power

xeromist
I'm pretty sure that doesn't work with the Razer Blade, only the Blade Stealth. USB power delivery provides up to 100W which is not enough for the Razer Blade or GL702. They come with 165W and 180W adapters, respectively.

Basically, if a machine comes with a separate charging port it very likely can't charge off of USB/thunderbolt. Manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut costs. If the machine could power off of USB then they wouldn't bother adding a power port in the first place.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks Eleiyas. I didn't notice that on the product page.

And thanks xeromist, I suppose that makes sense regarding the 100W limit on TB3.

I was just hoping that the GL702 would draw less than 100W when the internal GPU is not being used, therefore making the 100W enough to cover the i7 and other hardware... Athough thinking about it, that does sound a little optimistic!

How much is the XG2 retailing for in the US? In the UK it's about £475 including tax right now.

xeromist
I actually haven't seen it for sale here yet.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

ASUS-OP
Level 7
Hi Szlain,

The power adapter rating is reference to the maximum power draw of the complete notebook at peak load, whereas when you attempt to use XG STATION2, the built-in discrete GPU will either need to be disabled manually (on notebooks featuring Nvidia Optimus Technology) or be put to idle low power state (on notebooks featuring Nvidia 10 series GPU or above), meaning the power draw will be significantly lower.

Whether or not a notebook / PAD can work or even be charged through XG STATION 2 will primarily be dependent on whether or not the notebook / PAD support USB Type C Power Delivery (PD). To date, most gaming notebooks on the market do not come with Type C Power Delivery (PD) support due to spec limitation (USB Type C Power Delivery support up to 100W max)

regards,

I'd appreciate a very specific answer with respect to my GL-702VM which is supposed to come with a Thunderbolt port. Please tell me if it comes with Type C Power Delivery (PD) support. Thanks!

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi Szlain,

The power adapter rating is reference to the maximum power draw of the complete notebook at peak load, whereas when you attempt to use XG STATION2, the built-in discrete GPU will either need to be disabled manually (on notebooks featuring Nvidia Optimus Technology) or be put to idle low power state (on notebooks featuring Nvidia 10 series GPU or above), meaning the power draw will be significantly lower.

Whether or not a notebook / PAD can work or even be charged through XG STATION 2 will primarily be dependent on whether or not the notebook / PAD support USB Type C Power Delivery (PD). To date, most gaming notebooks on the market do not come with Type C Power Delivery (PD) support due to spec limitation (USB Type C Power Delivery support up to 100W max)

regards,