New ROGer Array

Can I replace Gl753VE Graphics controller?

I just bought a GL753VE yesterday to use for some CAD CAM design. Turns out the system is slow on graphics, sometimes painfully so. Others have used the Quadro and claim it is fast for CAD design. Can I replace my GTX 1050Ti 4GB? I can solder if needed.

Any suggestions on whether there are modifications to drivers etc for CAD performance would be appreciated. I made an assumption that a gaming computer would be good for CAD software, but I am told now this is not true. There are cards better designed to CAD like the Quadro

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by tchapman1000 View Post
    Can I replace my GTX 1050Ti 4GB? I can solder if needed.

Any suggestions on whether there are modifications to drivers etc for CAD performance would be appreciated. I made an assumption that a gaming computer would be good for CAD software, but I am told now this is not true. There are cards better designed to CAD like the Quadro
    Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, the GL753VE graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard and not upgradable.
    Also, if you haven't seen the bottom of graphics chips in BGA packaging, you're going to need special equipment to be able to unsolder it and solder in a new chip (if you can find/buy one?) not to mention that it's doubtful any newer graphics chips would use the exact same pinouts, thermal profile, work with the current bios, etc. etc.

Hopefully we can get more opinions, and sorry there isn't better news about it, but just curious if you have tried the unit for CAD yet and what you think (I'm not very familiar with CAD myself if you prefer to check with others).

ex-ASUS Employee Array Eleiyas PC Specs
    Eleiyas PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
    ProcessorAMD FX 8370
    Memory (part number)Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2G
    MonitorLG Flatron E2240T 21.5'' 1080p Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB 6GB/s
    CPU CoolerAMD Wraith Cooler
    CaseNZXT Lexa S
    Power SupplyCorsair CX600 600W (Bronze)
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless AZERTY
    Mouse Microsoft Wireless
    Headset Evil Witchcraft II Gaming Headset (Black/Red)
    Mouse Pad Wild Wolf Hunter
    Headset/Speakers 4Gamers 2.1 Sound-System
    OS Windows 10 Professional - Creator's
    Network RouterZiggo

To add to cl-Albert's post, I would also like to add that any ''homebrew'' modification you make to your device will totally void any warranty you may still have; if you do anything in error, the likelihood is you will damage the mainboard beyond repair and you will have lost your money AND your unit.

I think your best bet (if your warranty is still valid) is to try and return it to the vendor under any available ''remorse'' option. If they do have a remorse option, then you could possibly get your money back and buy a more powerful model of ASUS unit, which will be adequate for what you require.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

A case of do your homework before not after.
    Im a bit surprised to see anyone who uses CAD with any regularity not knowing that a 1050 wont cut it. Just for grins I just seached best gpu for cad and guess how many GTX hits there were? NONE!

My work laptop that renders Cad quite well is a Lenovo P50 with a Quadro M2000M. Its sucks at gaming but rocks for CAD. My G752VY Rocks at gaming but sucks for CAD.

There is no possible way even if you have the tools and skills to just replace the GPU. If you even had to ask that question that should be sufficient reason to not even think it.
    Its not like its just something sitting on top of the board with a couple of power connections. The entire graphics solution is built into the motherboard. All the power, Vram, actual chip. Even if you had mad skills to micro solder the actual chip the design of the circuitry is completely different between the Quadro and the GTX and I imagine the number of GPU pins and the actual pin outs are completely different as well. There are some laptops out there where the GPU is a separate card that plugs into a slot, the ROG series isn't one of them.

Not to sound like a parrot but if you need a CAD laptop the advice of returning it to place of purchase sooner rather than later and buying a machine made for CAD is your best bet.