cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C6H USB 3.1 ports not working

SubnetMask
Level 9
I purchased my C6H on launch day, and I found that the USB 3.1 ports were non-functional. The controller isn't recognized by the system (When I tried to install the 3.1 drivers, I was told that the system didn't have the controller and the setup aborted). I contacted Asus and they said to RMA the board - problem being they couldn't get me an advance replacement, so that wasn't going to work as I need this system every day for work. So I waited until my local Microcenter got more in, and I swapped it. Before they came in, the 3.1 ports 'magically' started working for a bit, and then died again.

So I got the board swapped today, and lo and behold, it's having the same issue (I updated the BIOS to 0902 before even installing any components). Somehow, I did manage to get it to show up in device manager, along with the devices attached to it, and then it vanished again. I really don't know what made it show up the forst time or this time. With the first board, I THINK it showed up after I used the BIOS 'reset' button on the back panel (Even though I has pressed that on first power on when it didn't seem to be posting right). That didn't seem to have any effect this time.

I also tried disabling the USB3.1 controller in the BIOS, booting up then shutting down, then re-enabling it in the BIOS and booting up - didn't seem to make a difference. So I have no idea whats making it come and go, but I somehow doubt that I got two boards with the same problem from different shipments, unless the problem is firmware and not hardware.

Anyone have any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

FuryA
Level 8
hi Sub
Do you have full list HW configuration
and It seems like unusual, what U3.1 devices did use then NOT WORKING
only that devices :confused:

No device works in the USB3.1 ports at all. USB3.0 thumbdrives, USB 3.0 hub, Oculus devices. Nothing. At the BIOS level, if I have a USB3.0 thumbdrive connected when I power the machine on, the BIOS does not show that device as connected, so it's not an OS issue. There is power to the ports as my bus powered hub has power, but nothing connected to the 3.1 ports is recognized.

My build is nothing special.

Ryzen 1800x
Radeon RX480
Syba PCIe 2.0 X4 RAID card with two mSATA SSD's RAID0 (Will probably switch to a M.2 1TB SSD down the road)
Inateck PCIe USB 3.0 card
32GB Crucial RAM (Two BLS16G4D240FSB sticks)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkII 950W PS

In Windows, when not working, the AsMedia controller does not show up, and as I said earlier, the driver setup fails because it can't find the controller.

It does seem like there may be something flaky in the BIOS, because one thing I've noticed is when I make changes and 'save and exit', sometimes it powers the machine off and then powers it back on a second or three later, and sometimes it doesn't - even changing the same thing (for example, disable the USB3.1 controller and exit, then next boot enable it and exit. Sometimes it powers off both times, sometimes only one of them, sometimes neither).

Are you using a USB hub? I have heard talks of those causing issues.

Krobar wrote:
Are you using a USB hub? I have heard talks of those causing issues.

I've tried both with and without - when it was working, the USB 3.0 hub connected to either port worked fine (It was connected to the Type C Port using a Belkin Type C to Type A adapter). Regardless of what, if anything is connected, the ASMedia controller is not present in Windows Device Manager.

Hello,

I'm also having problems on the USB 3.1 ports on my CH6 board. USB devices I connect work intermittently, are slow to detect and often become unresponsive and disconnect. I can't write to mass storage devices and reads are unreliable.

I've only tried the type A port as I don't have any type C devices. I've tried reinstalling the Asmedia drivers but without success.

Anyone have any other ideas or input? The USB 3.1 ports on my replacement board randomly started working for apparent reason.... Didn't do or change anything - machine's been powered on and all of a sudden the ASMedia controller was there and the ports working...

No one at Asus has anything on this?? When the ASMedia 3.1 ports started working, they just started working out of nowhere - no reboot or anything, just *poof* and they were there. After a shutdown and cold boot, they're gone again. Maybe they'll show up in the morning??

Two different boards with the exact same problem doesn't seem too much like a hardware problem, but more a firmware/BIOS issue.....

Nothing from Asus??

The 3.1 ports haven't 're-appeared', and the the C6H that Microcenter had running on their bench had functional USB 3.1 ports (At least at the time that I was in there and they plugged a device in). Given that I've had two boards doing the exact same thing, I have my doubts about it being a hardware issue, but at the same time, I've seen one that seemed to be working. Should I take it back to Microcenter and swap it out again? Be it good or bad, this is the only motherboard I've seen that fits my needs (lots of USB, no onboard graphics ports).

Edit: Just updated to 1002 and the AsMedia 3.1 controller is still MIA.

So I called into Asus tech support and opened a case. After some troubleshooting, they have no idea what's going on.

The only time the USB 3.1 ports showed any sign of life was first boot after pulling the BIOS battery for about 40 seconds. When it was initializing the BIOS, the drive showed activity like the BIOS was polling it, and when it went into the BIOS, it was showing 4 XHCI devices and the USB drive I had connected. Once I exited the BIOS and it reset, there was no activity on the USB drive on POST, and when it booted to Windows, still no AsMedia USB 3.1 controller. After that boot, when I returned to the BIOS, it now shows 3 XHCI devices.

This seems to be reproducible. I shut my system down again after getting off the phone and did the same thing. This time, when I powered it on, I didn't enter the BIOS and just let Windows boot. The AsMedia controller was now present in device manager. I then rebooted the machine, and when windows booted back up, the controller was still present. I then shut down the machine (Rather than a warm reboot of the OS) and powered it back on - upon Windows booting, the AsMedia controller was no longer present.

So it seems that once it shows up, as long as the board is not powered off, the controller will probably continue to work. Why it works after pulling the BIOS battery and only for that power cycle, I have no idea.

Anyone else have any further thoughts?