cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Formula/Kraken X52 hookup

Hawk570
Level 7
Im just getting ready to order a Maximus IX Formula mobo and have a simple question on connection of Kraken X52 AIO cooler.

My goal is for the motherboard to control control both the AIO pump speed and the RPM of the fans to regulate my CPU temps. I dont wish to use the CAM software at all, except for controlling the RGB lighting on the cooling block.

I'm anticipating connecting the X52 to the AIO_PUMP 4 pin header and to a USB2 port. Next, instead of connecting the two fans to the Kraken, connect them both through a Y connector to the motherboard's CPU_FAN header to PWM control both fans.

Do I have this right? Im assuming that the CAM software wont, or can be configured not to give me any headaches as I wont be using it.

If you have any recommendations on a different AIO, Im open to suggestions. I want to use a 240mm radiator.

Thank you!
26 REPLIES 26

mcleod52
Level 8
Interested to see if this works for you.

I have the x52 installed on my ix Hero and it works fine, except the CAM software is flakey. Not certain what moving the fans under MB control does for you. You will still need CAM to control the pump ...

I cant say for certain (hence the purpose for this post), but the Maximus IX has a 4 pin AIO_PUMP header which probably means PWM pump control is possible. Like you said, CAM is flakey. I dont want to use it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt ASUS control of AIO pump and fans be the ideal setup for AIO with such an advanced mobo?

I will see if I can squeak this in tonight and test ...

nnank76
Level 7
I'm also keen to know this. I'm helping a friend with a new build and he has just bought this mobo plus the kraken x62. *I've just been doing some research to see how this should be set up.

Well I set things up so the fans are now connected to the MB. One in Chassis Fan 2 and the other in H_Amp (only place my cable would reach - I have the fans pushing air so are outside the case body).

Seems to be running fine. I used the ASUS software to tune the fans and appear to be functioning fine. I Even picked the "silent" profile and it turned the fans off when the CPU was cool and spun them up when it got hot when I played a game. Looks like the cable will reach over to CPU_OPT so I might give that a try tomorrow night.

nnank76
Level 7
Thats great. When u say asus software do u mean in AI suite or in bios?

The AI suit

mcleod52 ,

Sorry, I was out of town and just got back. Thats above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks brother.

The mobo and kraken x52 were waiting here when I got home. On the Maximus formula, the AIO_pump header is just to the left of the CPU in an ideal position. I will be mounting the radiator in the roof of a beQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 case and the cpu fan header is just below where the fans will be. Again, perfect position.

That still leaves only one more question, will I have PWM control on the AIO pump? I'm assuming that the cable from the Kraken is a 4 wire setup as it is meant to normally be plugged into the CPU_FAN header. So I guess the real question is....does that 4 pin cable control the AIO pump or the Kraken's fans? Or, is the pump speed controlled through USB only? I also wonder if there is any advantage to controlling pump speed at all. I read that people mostly just run it at max rpm. Im hoping that Suite III has provisions to control it in its CPU temperature regulation/OC scheme.

Forgive me. This is the first computer I've built in many years and everything is different now. There were no AIOs the last time I built one. This rig will be my ultimate gaming machine and also my retirement present 🙂

I didn't play with any of the cables coming out of the unit on the CPU. I only moved the fan power connectors so I am thinking the pump is powered via the cable attached to the AIO port on the MB.

My first PC with an AIO too. Last PC I built was 6 or 7 years ago and, as you mentioned, things have changed. 🙂

I've been running the pump in "silent" mode and no issues so far.