cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pg279q blank at bios boot and switches primary after wake from sleep

ComputerLuva
Level 7
I have a pg279q connected via displaylink to a GTX 1080 and have 2 problems with it. First, when it's the only monitor connected, I can't see the BIOS boot screen. It will show the Windows login after booting, but the BIOS boot I can't see. I can only access the BIOS if I connect a second monitory.

The 2nd issue is when using multiple monitors, after the displays sleep and I wake them up, the monitor IDs change. So if the pg279q was #1 and there was a #2, after waking the pg279q is now #2 and the other one is #1. I can tell because all the windows I had left opened now are on the other monitor and also the color calibration is not flipped. I can only fix this after rebooting.

Any ideas on how to fix these problems?
10 REPLIES 10

JustinThyme
Level 13
Don't think its the display, Sounds more like a configuration issue. You mention 2 monitors, are they both connected VIA display port? Are they both the same type of monitor as for refresh? Are you using Win 10 fast boot?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Bahz
Level 12
Try checking monitor configuration through Nvidia control panel, I think it's also a configuration issue.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using displaylink for all monitors connected. The other monitor is a 60hz display.

I have Windows and the Nvidia control panel all configured properly. Even when waking up the display and logging in, the NVC says the ROG is still #1, but you can tell it isn't.

I am using fast boot in the BIOS. I can try disabling that. But the 2nd monitor works properly even with fast boot enabled. Maybe the ROG just takes longer to "warm up"?

ComputerLuva wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm using displaylink for all monitors connected. The other monitor is a 60hz display.

I have Windows and the Nvidia control panel all configured properly. Even when waking up the display and logging in, the NVC says the ROG is still #1, but you can tell it isn't.

I am using fast boot in the BIOS. I can try disabling that. But the 2nd monitor works properly even with fast boot enabled. Maybe the ROG just takes longer to "warm up"?

It shouldn't because we had 2 of these connected in our studio and we never had either of the issues you described (both also connected through DP on ROG Strix GTX 1080)

Try installing the WHQL driver:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD%20Monitors/PG279/PG279_WHQL_Driver.zip?_ga=1.184635499.31373410...

Also I would recommend using DDU to clean up all your graphics drivers and re-install with latest Nvidia graphics drivers.

For the BIOS part I think this is really something to do with one of the monitors being defective.

Edit:
Also check your cables, always the last thing we suspect and could actually be the culprit.

JustinThyme
Level 13
What is the second monitor that is 60 hz. You do know that this is going to default both t0 60Hz right?

When I say fast boot Im mostly referring to windows fast boot. If you have problem drivers/config issues its going to reload them at restart and even cold boot.
Start>settings>power&Sleep>additional power settings>(window pops up)Choose what the power buttons do on the left>Change settings that are currently unavailable>uncheck the turn on fast start up.

This is really a hybrid hibernate. It dumps drivers and the kernel from ram to a file "hiberfil.sys" then reloads it at reboot. This is supposed to give you a faster load time but it causes more problems than its worth and even working correctly it doesn't make much, if any, difference if you have an SSD.

This is worth a shot but no guarantee. When running multiple monitors its best to use the same monitor and if not at least the same attributes such as size, resolution and refresh rate etc.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What is the second monitor that is 60 hz. You do know that this is going to default both t0 60Hz right?

When I say fast boot Im mostly referring to windows fast boot. If you have problem drivers/config issues its going to reload them at restart and even cold boot.
Start>settings>power&Sleep>additional power settings>(window pops up)Choose what the power buttons do on the left>Change settings that are currently unavailable>uncheck the turn on fast start up.

This is really a hybrid hibernate. It dumps drivers and the kernel from ram to a file "hiberfil.sys" then reloads it at reboot. This is supposed to give you a faster load time but it causes more problems than its worth and even working correctly it doesn't make much, if any, difference if you have an SSD.

This is worth a shot but no guarantee. When running multiple monitors its best to use the same monitor and if not at least the same attributes such as size, resolution and refresh rate etc.

Thanks, I'll give the power options a shot.

What did you mean by the 2nd monitor by it'll default both to 60hz? The 2nd monitor is a Dell u2212hm. I'm not having any issues with one running 60hz and the ROG running 144. I can see they are both correctly set even after waking up the display.

ComputerLuva wrote:
Thanks, I'll give the power options a shot.

What did you mean by the 2nd monitor by it'll default both to 60hz? The 2nd monitor is a Dell u2212hm. I'm not having any issues with one running 60hz and the ROG running 144. I can see they are both correctly set even after waking up the display.

You are correct. I believe the previous post was thinking you were running NVidia Surround setup with a spanned resolution? There should be no problem with your setup running two resolutions and frame rates (except for maybe G-sync). Bahz, I don't know what your talking about, first thing I thought about was swap the cables and see if it still happens. 😉

Also you could Try swapping the monitors around. see if it does the same issue after the monitors have swapped positions. If it keeps wanting to put a monitor in a specific spot just put the monitor there physically. It sounds like one of those weird issues where you either reinstall your OS or spend 20 hours troubleshooting to find out it's not fixable unless you reinstall your OS. I would go with the OS reinstall if Bahz's suggestion of running a complete clean install of drivers doesn't work. I work at one of the big 3 car company's and literally create computer images with drivers to get paid.I still have issues trying to get NVidia drivers to work consistently. (-_-)
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
You are correct. I believe the previous post was thinking you were running NVidia Surround setup with a spanned resolution? There should be no problem with your setup running two resolutions and frame rates (except for maybe G-sync). Bahz, I don't know what your talking about, first thing I thought about was swap the cables and see if it still happens. 😉

Also you could Try swapping the monitors around. see if it does the same issue after the monitors have swapped positions. If it keeps wanting to put a monitor in a specific spot just put the monitor there physically. It sounds like one of those weird issues where you either reinstall your OS or spend 20 hours troubleshooting to find out it's not fixable unless you reinstall your OS. I would go with the OS reinstall if Bahz's suggestion of running a complete clean install of drivers doesn't work. I work at one of the big 3 car company's and literally create computer images with drivers to get paid.I still have issues trying to get NVidia drivers to work consistently. (-_-)

Yeah I'm not running surround. Just have the side monitor for when I'm not playing games. GSync and 144hz are working fine according to the monitor's OSD.

I tried swapping cables and using new ones, but no change unfortunately. Next up is to try cleaning out the drivers and reinstalling.

ComputerLuva wrote:
Yeah I'm not running surround. Just have the side monitor for when I'm not playing games. GSync and 144hz are working fine according to the monitor's OSD.

I tried swapping cables and using new ones, but no change unfortunately. Next up is to try cleaning out the drivers and reinstalling.

Hope that works and you don't need to do a rebuild of the OS. So much extra work if your not even sure of the initial issue. Just a small tip from my experiences. If you end up doing the rebuild. Make a Windows 10 USB and make sure its the correct type of win10 for your license key (pro,home,enterprise). if you make the wrong usb it wont work then you have to find a new place to build your usb again. After your USB is built. try running the windows 10 refresh and select keep all personal data (back up all your stuff anyways before hand even though you select keep data). Sometimes this process fails, and won't allow you to refresh. if it fails select refresh and remove all data. If that fails then you need a rebuild for sure. The reason I say build the USB first is because on occasion the "refresh" will end up destroying your boot partition and you wont be able to boot into windows after a failed refresh. Then at least you have the USB to build fresh without having to find another computer.

anyways that's my input. good luck.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.