cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking and USB Ports Hanging on Windows Start

jbandes
Level 7
I have a Rampage V 10 th Edition and an i7 6900k with 32 GB of G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 Memory. I successfully overclocked the CPU to 4.2 mHz and the RAM is running at 3200. My settings are below. I stress tested for 5 Hours with no crashing but I have an annoying problem with my USB ports.

If I reboot the motherboard goes through Bios and hangs with a code of B1. It is my understanding that this code means the Bios is done and handing off to Windows. But windows hangs and does not load.

Now the interesting part. If I unplug all of my USB devices except my mouse and keyboard which are logitec and wireless it boots into windows. If I reboot again with all USB (or even one USB device plugged in it hangs. Not sure what adjustment I need to make but is extremely frustrating.

I changed USB cables and tried them one at a time but no good. I have not connected the additonal 4 pin power connector on the motherboard, could it not have enough power when overclocked?

As a further test, I went back to non-overclocked Optimal Defualt settings and everything works fine. Scrathing my head wondering why this is happening.

My hard drive for boot is a 960 Pro NVME SSD.

Any thoughts on how I can get my USB ports to work when the motherboard is overclocked?

Set XMP
CPU Core Ratio Sync All Cores
Core Ratio 40
AVX Instruction 3
CPU Cache Ratio 34 (35 36)
Dram Frequency DDR4 - 3200 MHz
External Digi Power Control Load Line Calibration Level 6
Internal CPU Power Management
Long Duration 222222 4095
Short Duration Package 222222 4095
CPU Coare Voltage 1.21
CPU Cache Voltage 1.15
CPU Input Voltage 1.800
Dram Voltage 1.350
7 REPLIES 7

Chino wrote:
Can you list all your USB devices for me?

The computer is used to produce music. Here is the list of USB devices currently connected.

Logitech USB wireless mouse and keyboard K800

Maschine MIDI Controller https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine-studio/

Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboard S61

Ableton Push MIDI Controller - https://www.ableton.com/en/push/

External Audio Card - Native Insruments Audio 6

Novation Launch Control XL Black

E-license Dongle - https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologies/elicenser.html

Corsair water cooler H100i V2

Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Extention USB PCI Card

Logitech C920 Web Camera

Chino
Level 15
A lot of legacy USB devices aren't compatible with modern platforms so they cause problems during the boot process. The fact that your system functions fine when not overclocked might be purely coincidental.

Chino wrote:
A lot of legacy USB devices aren't compatible with modern platforms so they cause problems during the boot process. The fact that your system functions fine when not overclocked might be purely coincidental.

Yes indeed that was the problem. I downloaded a program called Driver Booster Pro version 4.3. The program has a massive database of drivers and it actually does a much better job of finding and updating drivers than windows. It found and updated 37 Drivers on my computer and now everything is working !

There is a free and purchased version of the product. http://www.iobit.com/en/update/db/

Not sure why Windows cant find and update these drivers by itself but I am finally very happy. I have an overclocked system running at 4.3 MHz and my memory is running at 3200 and its working at last as it should have worked intially. Now on to replacing the fans with the New Corsair ML series fans.

Thanks everyone.

I had the same issue. Pulled certain usb devices off the motherboard and the system boots fine. Plug it back in and it hang for about 15 minutes before you see a windows boot screen. I will try that driver update and see if that works.

kuro_kami wrote:
I had the same issue. Pulled certain usb devices off the motherboard and the system boots fine. Plug it back in and it hang for about 15 minutes before you see a windows boot screen. I will try that driver update and see if that works.

There is a strange issue with USB devices and my ROG Rampage V 10 motherboard. It turns out that it was not the drivers. Sometimes when you boot the PC, it will give you the Bios (press DEL to go into Bios) then it will hand off to windows and the splash screen will come up and just hang. I have found out that if I reboot and remove all usb devices it will then boot properly and I can plug in my USB devices again and it works fine. I think it may have something to do with my m.2 hard drive and USB devices.

If it reboots into windows and gives you a black screen, if you just let it sit there it will eventually come up properly. Sometimes I actually have to wait 2 minutes! It only does this once after a bios edit or change. After that it boots into windows fine.

Its all very strange but after Bios edits or changes I often have to disconnect my USB devices the first time after a reboot following Bios changes. After that all works fine. Hope this helps others.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

If stock constantly boots without issue and overclocked always fails that points to where the problem is. The overclock is not stable.