cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX HERO QVL RAM issue

TyanTiger
Level 7
Hello!

Just built a new system with the Asus Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO motherboard paired with a 6700K and G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-32GVK. The XMP profile 3200MHz of this memory does not work in spite of the fact that: RAM is in the QVL list of the motherboard and the motherboard is listed as compatible with this memory. I get the POST code 55. Stable work only at 3000 MHz.

System configuration:
Maximus IX Hero (BIOS 0801)
Intel I7-6700K (SR2BR)
G.SKILL 2x16Gb F4-3200C16D-32GVK (DIMM_A2 + DIMM_B2)
Chieftec GPS-500C

I've tried various settings:

everything in Auto + XMP - Q-Code 55
Auto, XMP, Dram Voltage 1.36-1.38v - Q-Code 55
Auto, XMP, Maximus Tweak Mode 1/Mode 2 - Q-Code 55, 49
XMP, Dram Voltage 1.36v, CPU VCCIO 1.1625v, CPU SA 1.15v - Q-Code 55, 49, 0A
XMP, Dram Voltage 1.38v, CPU VCCIO 1.2v, CPU SA 1.2v, Maximus Tweak Mode 1 - POST OK, but after the next reboot or shutdown - Q-Code 55, 49,...

everything in Auto (XMP off) - All OK, stress test passed
XMP, DRAM Frequency 3000 - All OK, stress test passed

I tried this RAM on my friend's motherboard MSI Z270 Gaming M7. Just turned on the XMP profile and everything works well. So, I think that the problem is in ASUS BIOS.
By the way, G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-32GVK based on SK Hynix H5AN8G8NMFR-TFC chips and for them there is no Memory Preset "2x16GB Hynix Double-Side" in Extreme Tweaker\DRAM Timings Control.
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
See if your system can post with a single stick at 3200MHz.

Also you mentioned testing your sticks on your friend's motherboard. Did you also use your CPU on his motherboard or did you use his? If so, which CPU does he own?

The system can also post with a two sticks at 3200MHz if the voltage is lifted. But this happens non-permanently. I see no reason to try to use one stick. They have to work both together stably. I'll try to use my friend's RAM on my motherboard. He has G.SKILL 2х8GB 3600С16 (Samsung B-die)

The CPU of my friend is 7700K. We used it.

TyanTiger wrote:
The system can also post with a two sticks at 3200MHz if the voltage is lifted. But this happens non-permanently.

Then your memory overclock is probably still unstable and requires more tweaking.

TyanTiger wrote:

The CPU of my friend is 7700K. We used it.

Unfortunately, DDR4 3200 isn't plug-n-play for all CPUs. Perhaps your friend's i7-7700K has a better IMC and the assigned voltages by the motherboard worked right off the bat.

If your system can post with higher DRAM voltage than try the "Eventual DRAM Voltage" setting so that it lowers it 1.35 when in the OS but raises it to whatever works while POSTing. Also, SA/VCCIO don't like excessive voltage either. I would say check out the low end of things very thoroughly or try going a little above 1.2v. The board can tolerate 1.25-1.3v for higher frequency kits so perhaps you have a little more wiggle room before quitting. Also know that Samsung B-Die kits can handle 1.4v DRAM voltage.

Chino wrote:
Then your memory overclock is probably still unstable and requires more tweaking.
It is logical 🙂 Please tell me, what settings are worth trying? There are hundreds of them. The user's guide does not explain what they mean.

Chino wrote:
Unfortunately, DDR4 3200 isn't plug-n-play for all CPUs. Perhaps your friend's i7-7700K has a better IMC and the assigned voltages by the motherboard worked right off the bat.
I think any CPU 6700K can handle the memory frequency of 3200MHz. With the 7700K processor, the XMP profile also did not work on my motherboard. So the problem is still in the BIOS. How to bring this up to ASUS engineers?

redone13 wrote:
If your system can post with higher DRAM voltage than try the "Eventual DRAM Voltage" setting so that it lowers it 1.35 when in the OS but raises it to whatever works while POSTing.
Thanks, I'll try!

redone13 wrote:
Also, SA/VCCIO don't like excessive voltage either. I would say check out the low end of things very thoroughly or try going a little above 1.2v. The board can tolerate 1.25-1.3v for higher frequency kits so perhaps you have a little more wiggle room before quitting. Also know that Samsung B-Die kits can handle 1.4v DRAM voltage.
I have a memory on SK Hynix H5AN8G8NMFR-TFC chips. Judging by the users' feedback on Amazon and Newegg, problems with this kit (F4-3200C16D-32GVK) arise most often from Asus motherboard owners on z270 chipsets. Less problems for owners of ASUS Z170 and Z270 MSI, Gigabyte motherboards.

TyanTiger wrote:
It is logical 🙂 Please tell me, what settings are worth trying? There are hundreds of them. The user's guide does not explain what they mean.

Start with the VCCIO and System Agent voltages. Use small increments.

Here's a table taken from Raja's guide.

Chino wrote:
Start with the VCCIO and System Agent voltages. Use small increments.

Here's a table taken from Raja's guide.

Do you always set the VCCIO and System Agent with the same values? How much do you increment by? I would think there would be a lot of combinations. I never done this before, so any advice would be helpful.

zorin1 wrote:
Do you always set the VCCIO and System Agent with the same values? How much do you increment by? I would think there would be a lot of combinations. I never done this before, so any advice would be helpful.

You can look at the value the motherboard automatically assigns then go from there. Being sensitive voltages, I normally use increments/decrements of 0.01V.

zorin1 wrote:

A general read of the guide would be a good idea: http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

Some info on SA/IO voltage page 3. Some CPUs prefer lower voltages than the board sets, while others require more. With signaling related voltage rails, making gradual changes is best.