cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking 7700k on Asus IX formula quest for 5.1Ghz

niro750
Level 7
Hi guys,

Been a long time since I did a full rebuild system and OC. Went all out and got a Maximus Formula and an 8Pack pre binned and delid 7700k for 5Ghz. Advice on OCUK forum says usually there is more headroom in the chips.

The Asus auto overclocking in Windows gets me 5.1 on one core throttling down to 4.8 on 3 or more. I can actually run all 4 at 5Ghz at 1.34V and see about 65 to 70 Degrees in prime95 v 26.6

I tried a bit off messing about at 5.1 but can't either post or run prime without bsod. I have a full custom look and was expecting to maybe push 5.1 but even unstable the temps are pretty high for below 1.4V. Late 80 degrees usually.

I am at work the now so I can update my full specs etc.. and bios settings later but I'm using G-Skill trident 3600 Aura Ram.

Any advice or comments welcome.

18 REPLIES 18

Chino
Level 15
Perhaps your CPU is at the point where it needs a huge increase in voltage for that extra 100MHz. Personally I wouldn't run my chip above 1.4V even if the temperature is check.

Chino wrote:
Perhaps your CPU is at the point where it needs a huge increase in voltage for that extra 100MHz. Personally I wouldn't run my chip above 1.4V even if the temperature is check.

Definately crossed my mind but my lack of experience gives me many doubts! I'd like to try but realistically I'm still very happy with 5ghz. I guess 5 was easy and I'd like to see if I can get higher as a challenge

JustinThyme
Level 13
you bought 8 and none will get you there?

There is also more than one way to skin a cat. Delid will get you there. I had to go to 1.424 to get 5.2 stable topping out at 72C after a delid and water cooling. Take your pick for how to get there.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
you bought 8 and none will get you there?

There is also more than one way to skin a cat. Delid will get you there. I had to go to 1.424 to get 5.2 stable topping out at 72C after a delid and water cooling. Take your pick for how to get there.

Sorry, it has already been delidded and was guaranteed to reach 5Ghz which it does. I only bought one chip. I can't stay under 80in prime95 v 26.6 at that voltage on custom cooling even with delid. Maybe on a general load but not on a stress test like that

Raja
Level 13
There are three things that help overclocking:

1) Lower CPU temps. Your CPU has already been re-pasted and re-lidded and your loop includes multiple components, so you're likely on the limit with the current setup. For argument sake, if you could drop temps by 10-15C, it would get you close to 100MHz. That's not something you have the luxury of with the current setup.

2) More Vcore. For prolonged use, I tend not to breach 2X the stock power consumption of a CPU. Never had one degrade when sticking under that value. For this platform, that figure comes in around 1.40V, give or take (depending upon the leakage of the sample). If running maximum loads for prolonged periods, then I'd stick under 1.35V.

3) You can reduce Vcore requirements somewhat by using a lower memory clock and Uncore (Cache frequency). The reduced IO over the bus can help stabilize the CPU cores without needed extra voltage. Side effect is slightly reduced performance under some workloads. Doesn't work for all scenarios, and it depends what you've set the memory and "cache" ratio to now. If they're already set conservatively, then you're not going to see much change in the required Vcore.

There are couple of other nifty features that can help, too:

i) AVX Offset
ii) ASUS CPU Overclocking temperature control

These two options allow you to set a lower frequency for AVX, or heavier workloads (ASUS COTC), so that you can run lighter apps/games at a higher frequency.

Those are your "options", in a nutshell. More reading on overclocking and these features, here:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

Raja@ASUS wrote:
There are three things that help overclocking:

1) Lower CPU temps. Your CPU has already been re-pasted and re-lidded and your loop includes multiple components, so you're likely on the limit with the current setup. For argument sake, if you could drop temps by 10-15C, it would get you close to 100MHz. That's not something you have the luxury of with the current setup.

2) More Vcore. For prolonged use, I tend not to breach 2X the stock power consumption of a CPU. Never had one degrade when sticking under that value. For this platform, that figure comes in around 1.40V, give or take (depending upon the leakage of the sample). If running maximum loads for prolonged periods, then I'd stick under 1.35V.

3) You can reduce Vcore requirements somewhat by using a lower memory clock and Uncore (Cache frequency). The reduced IO over the bus can help stabilize the CPU cores without needed extra voltage. Side effect is slightly reduced performance under some workloads. Doesn't work for all scenarios, and it depends what you've set the memory and "cache" ratio to now. If they're already set conservatively, then you're not going to see much change in the required Vcore.

There are couple of other nifty features that can help, too:

i) AVX Offset
ii) ASUS CPU Overclocking temperature control

These two options allow you to set a lower frequency for AVX, or heavier workloads (ASUS COTC), so that you can run lighter apps/games at a higher frequency.

Those are your "options", in a nutshell. More reading on overclocking and these features, here:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

I managed to pick a few of those tips in the last few days but thanks for the info. My loop temp is normally 34 degrees at low fan speed and running 1080p mass effect andromeda at ultra. I think there should be more headroom in my system hence the post.

Ill update further as soon as I get the chance

Thanks

niro750 wrote:
I managed to pick a few of those tips in the last few days but thanks for the info. My loop temp is normally 34 degrees at low fan speed and running 1080p mass effect andromeda at ultra. I think there should be more headroom in my system hence the post.

Ill update further as soon as I get the chance

Thanks

Sounds like a candidate for the ACOTC 😉

I have a similar setup running @5ghz 1.3vcore, my issue is temps I had to disable HT to drop them down. I really need to delid because I was hitting 90c while folding on cpu and gpu, no HT dropped it to 75 I'd guess mostly because the cores aren't hitting 100% load. I am thinking along the lines of dropping vcore rather than pushing total speed. I'm also looking forward to messing around with bclk for gigg's, I may disable my raid0 ssd's for that though and pop in a single drive, don't need to reinstall every time I derp the settings (saw the array go yellow once or twice and went back to multiplier)

Klute_Onren wrote:
I have a similar setup running @5ghz 1.3vcore, my issue is temps I had to disable HT to drop them down. I really need to delid because I was hitting 90c while folding on cpu and gpu, no HT dropped it to 75 I'd guess mostly because the cores aren't hitting 100% load. I am thinking along the lines of dropping vcore rather than pushing total speed. I'm also looking forward to messing around with bclk for gigg's, I may disable my raid0 ssd's for that though and pop in a single drive, don't need to reinstall every time I derp the settings (saw the array go yellow once or twice and went back to multiplier)

In a way that's reassuring that maybe my temps are not too bad. You running on air?