cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking fails stress test when all memory banks are populated

Youngevans
Level 7
Hello everyone, My cpu overclock fails withing 1 - 2 mins when stress testing irregardless of the clock speed and voltage, I have tried 4.7, 4.6, and 4.5 ghz so far. I use an i7 6700k on maximus viii formular with 2202 bios, (iv also tried 1301) 32gb of corsair vengeance lpx (8gb x 4). With the same settings of 47 one the multiplier and core voltage to manual at 1.325 and xmp enabled and everything else untouched , I could stress test it with aida64 for 20mins wirhout failing until recent multiple times re-installation of windows 10 apparently and maybe 1 or 2 cmos clr. However I realized that removing all ram sticks and inserting just onr stick with the same settings allows the stress test to go up 15mins until i stopped it but adding the rest of the rams makes the test stop within 1-2 mins and aida64 says "hardware failure detected" sometimes BSOD. I need help
young3vans
6 REPLIES 6

Zka17
Level 16
Perhaps you would like to study some OC guides...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78542-Overclocking-The-Core-i7-6700K-To-4-6GHz-On-The-Maxi...
Don't worry about the difference in boards (Extreme vs Formula), the principles are the same...

Chino
Level 15
What is the model of your memory kit?

Your Specs tab says CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 which is a 2x16GB kit but you mention a 4x8GB kit in your post.

Chino wrote:
What is the model of your memory kit?

Your Specs tab says CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 which is a 2x16GB kit but you mention a 4x8GB kit in your post.

That may be a mistake, I use 8Gb x 4 corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3000mhz. And after playing around for sometime Ive realised enabling xmp causes my system to fail in a short time when i stress test. at stock speed and settings, my system doeant fail when I run aida 64 but enabling xmp on alone (everything else untouched) causes my system to fail the test. Aida 64 says "Test stopped, Hardware failure detected"
young3vans

Nate152
Hi Youngevans

You likely need to do a little tweaking to get your ram fully stable.

Fist thing to try is Maximus Tweak Mode 2, if that doesn't help try:

CPU System Agent voltage 1.15v - 1.30v
CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15v - 1.25v

If those don't help raise the Dram voltage from 1.35v up to 1.40v in .01v increments.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Youngevans

You likely need to do a little tweaking to get your ram fully stable.

Fist thing to try is Maximus Tweak Mode 2, if that doesn't help try:

CPU System Agent voltage 1.15v - 1.30v
CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15v - 1.25v

If those don't help raise the Dram voltage from 1.35v up to 1.40v in .01v increments.

Thank you Nate, Ill give you the results
young3vans

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
If I understand correctly you say xmp doesn't work when overclocking your cpu, right?

Starting point IMHO should be: set system to auto, so all runs at stock speeds. CPU, Cache, Dram all set stock.
1. Than reboot to Windows. Run AIDA64 . How about the result of the test now?
2. If that works, reboot, go to bios and set the xmp profile. No other changes. Check if XMP has changed the Vdimm (1,35volt ish).
3. Save and Exit, Reboot to Windows . Now Run AIDA64 again. Does the test pass or not?

If the test passes (I suspect it will), than you are sure that xmp works. And that your overclock is unstable.
Running 4 sticks always puts a strain on the imc. More so than with 2 sticks. To get a stable OC generally needs a little more Vcore with 4 sticks.

But first check if xmp is oke with rest @ stock.

Hope that helps.
Let us know the result

Henkenator68NL