Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Member Array

Yep,
    I have a 1700 a crossair6 and also a 960 EVO.
    I can see my M.2 drive in the boot selection list but I can't secure erase it from bios and I thought that was a sign of a problem, can anyone else see their 960Evo in the secure erase page?.
    It's quite slow to boot up too and wondered if anyone could share optimal settings they are using with 960EVO for a streamline boot, it feels like my motherboard is double checking everything on boot.
    I have 2 other hard drives and a disk drive plugged into sata.

Retired MOD and Reviewer Array

Have you installed the Samsung driver for the 960 evo..........the drive comes with the generic windows NMVE driver so Windows will recognize it....

As for secure erase from within the BIOS it will not work on drives with an OS installed on them.......for protection I believe.....

ROG Member Array

Only have a few things to add to this discussion....Not recognizing the drive was a big concern for me! I know that typically Intel users have to install Intel Rapid Storage drivers during Windows installation before the BIOS will recognize the disk. I saw a lot of mixed reviews from Crosshair VI users, some with good and others with bad experience. As you can imagine, the users were all using different BIOS and different NVME drives.

My experience, fortunately, was favorable. I purchased the Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, and seated the drive using the standoff and screw included with the motherboard accessories. (You did know to do this correct?) Some videos I watched previous to assembling my rig had gold stickers over the standoff position holes, which are to be removed. I'm not sure if the stickers are to be removed to allow contact with the board, or what the purpose. EIther way, my particular board did not have any to be removed, elsewise they would have been. So I proceeded to seat the drive by first inserting at a 45 degree angle, and seating to the standoff position hole with equidistant spacing on each side. Other users have mentioned that no brass should be visible while seating the drive, that is probably a good way to look at it... I did not have to use any force at all to allow the drive to fully seat, and no brass was visible at the connection. My only suggestion is to pay attention to center-space the drive on the standoff properly and use the BIOS that is shipped with the motherboard before trying to proceed with experimental releases. The beauty of these SSDs are that I don't have any other instructions, no cables to connect or drivers to install. If you want to make sure you are doing this right, I highly recommend having the NVME M.2 as the ONLY drive connected while performing the operating system installation. I have a Seagate Barracuda Pro 3.5 HDD connected as a secondary drive, and I only connected this drive days after I had all of the essential programs running properly.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

Secure erase in bios will not work on M.2 drives, it will work on sata SSD drives, having an OS installed does not matter

Try more Array tommiboi PC Specs
    tommiboi PC Specs
    MotherboardSabertooth Mark 1 Z170
    Processor6600K Delidded
    Memory (part number)Gskill 3200
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX GTX 980 TI EKWB watercooled
    MonitorAsus PG279Q , Benq XL2411T
    Storage #1Samsung 850 evo SSD 250
    Storage #2M.2 nvme Samsung 960 500 ( 2x in raid 0 )
    CPU CoolerEK Predator 360(rebuild with 280 extra rad)
    CaseBequiet pro 900 Orange
    Power SupplyBequiet Pure Power 9 700W
    Keyboard Corsair rapid fire (RBG)
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z4
    OS Windows 10 pro
    Accessory #1 Watch
    Accessory #2 Bracelet
    Accessory #3 1 earing

mostly hmm always hmm i guess. If you use them M.2 slot on your mobo it will use the route of the pci-e slot 3 or higher. So be sure there not used. I used have a WiFi/sound card in it. and that doesnt work.

Also i made nuub mistake on not formatting the SSD. lol you could see the SSD but not use it. Not sure if this wisdom is helping...

New ROGer Array

[QUOTE=SinartNZ;640080]I found it had to seat my 960 to the point none of the contact pads on the drive itself where showing seems to be a rather deep m.2 socket on this board. Other boards I've always seen some of the contact pads showing a little.

So if you have not ready done try reseating the drive with a little push.[/Q]

I just have to say thanks!

I was building a new rig today; ROG STRIX X370-f, Ryzen 1700, ROG STRIX GTX 1060, and a Samsung EVO 960. Everything was going fine until I installed Windows. It looked like it worked, but then went back to setup and claimed it didn't see a bootable drive. I reseated the 960 but no joy.

At that point, I went top the web and found this comment. Sure enough, I could see the edges of the contacts. I reseated the drive, fully this time, and Windows proceeded to boot when I restarted.

Cheers!
    Jimi

New ROGer Array

Rog gl552vx

Hi,
    I have a GL552VX and I would like you to support me by telling me if the SAMSUNG 960 EVO or the 970 EVO are compatible with this ASUS model.

Thans.*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3