cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 960 EVO and PRO M.2 not recognized in bios

gj2211
Level 7
Hi all,

Is there anyone who can help me with the following?

I've recently bought the Crosshair VI Hero motherboard and a Ryzen r7 1800x. The system is functioning fine except for the M.2 SSD slot. I've tried two different Samsung drives, a 960 EVO (500 GB) and a 960 PRO (512 GB). Both are not recognized in BIOS and Windows 10 setup is also not recognizing the SSD's. I've already tried several BIOS settings (running version 1001) but nothing seems to work. I know for a fact that the SSD drives are OK. The retailer I bought them at tested them on a different motherboard and both were working fine.

Has someone experienced the same issue and found a way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!
27 REPLIES 27

pankomputerek
Level 7
I use the OEM version of this drive (SM961) seems to work perfectly for me.
Has the M.2 slot been tested? I have put the drive into M.2 on my system and installed windows right on it.

If you haven't already, perhaps try to reset the CMOS using the button on the back and do a cold start.

I had a Toshiba OCZ RD400 and it would only reappear on cold starts; though that ended up being a Toshiba driver issue so this might be irrelevant information to you for a Samsung.

No, the M.2 slot has not been tested yet. It's a brand new board so I expect the slot to be fine. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that besides dismantling the system and send the board back tot the retailer for testing? Is it something I can do myself?

I found it had to seat my 960 to the point none of the contact pads on the drive itself where showing seems to be a rather deep m.2 socket on this board. Other boards I've always seen some of the contact pads showing a little.

So if you have not ready done try reseating the drive with a little push.

mine didn't show up in the bios at all, it has shown up in windows after i reseated the card much deeper than it seemed to want to go the first time. so it's for high speed gaming now.

Thanks all for the input. I've tried the cold boot and clearing CMOS option but that didn't help. I've also tried reseating the SSD numerous times but that didn't work either. It is properly seated and cannot be pushed further in the M.2 slot. How probable is it that I have a board with a faulty M.2 slot?

No problems at all here, my 960 EVO M.2 is recogniced perfectly on BIOS and it boots fine. I didn't have to do anything special, it just appeared. It worked on previous BIOS and it works the same on 1001.

I have Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe with Ryzen 1700 and Crosshair VI Hero. All works out of box!

My 960 EVO M.2 Pcie 4x @ 3.0 woks fine.