cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I stop high performance slipping into power saving when unplugging laptop

Amenophis
Level 10
I'm using Power4Gear High Performance and have noticed only now when I unplug the power cord, it slips into Power Saving. I've gone into Power Options, Processor Power Management and put both on 100%. Also I have put Maximum Power State both to 100%.
Still, when I unplug the unit, it goes from High Performance to Power Saving. I actually do not want this to happen and am wondering if there is a way to stop it. If so, do please advice. I'm using an ASUS Rogue with Windows 10.
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
I dont know that you can stop it. I know my G752VY cuts performance in half when unplugged. Thing is a high performance laptop depletes the battery fast. Even at half mine will only last 45 mins tops if Im doing anything remotely intensive. For that reason I keep it plugged in most of the time. I have other machines for battery longevity and others yet for ultra high performance.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Amenophis
Level 10
Thank you for the reply. It doesn't matter to me if the battery goes down that fast; it's just the fact (apparently) that there is no way to stop the laptop from automatically switching to Power Saving. I thought there might be a way around that. If it is as you say, one would just leave the machine plugged in I guess. I have a Toshiba here and that always remains on High Performance when unplugged. It doesn't change if I plug it back in or if I unplug it again This must be an ASUS thing, correct?

JustinThyme
Level 13
This isn't an ASUS thing, its a high performance thing and a safety thing. Battery technology has shifted to lithium polymer mostly due to the high current capability that can be delivered in a small form factor. With that comes inherent risks and posing the threat of thermal runaway.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Amenophis
Level 10
I'm afraid this is an ASUS thing. The Toshiba does not do that. I have another ASUS, an s-400C (similar to Russia's S-300's) and that also switches back to Power Saving when unplugged. The Toshiba is a bit older, a Satellite L675-00X but that one does not shift to Power Saving when unplugged.
I can manually shift this ASUS Rogue back to High Performance when unplugged but was hoping there was a way to set it so it wouldn't change when unplugged. I guess you've made it clear that isn't going to happen. Thank you again for your helpful replies.