cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G74S - errors with the hard drive and boot

sadwallaby
Level 7
I just received my new G74S, and everything was running perfectly well. I got all my base programs installed, created a restore point on F:, the second half of the second hard drive.

Windows update decided to run it's normal critical updates and on booting into those updates, the computer would not actually update. I had to hard power it off, and only then did it proceed to update. Now after booting back into windows, I am having two problems. System restore also freezes in the windows process - it does one step and then freezes. If I power the computer off and on again, it does the next step. Rinse and repeat.

Regardless - I am getting the following two errors:

Ext Hard Drive error - specified I/O operation on \device\Harddisk2\DR1

My hard drive is also GONE, according to windows.

I have c: and d:, which are half of the first drive. (OS and data).
I have e: which is SDATA1. However, my F: drive, SDATA2, is gone. Clicking on it tells me "F: is not accessible. The semaphore timeout period has expired". See the image I posted.

How do I get this hard drive back, and fix these two errors? Googling them tells me it's a network problem, but I've had hard drive and boot issues since getting this computer. Disappointing, since it was very expensive, and has worked wonderfully for games and other items.

Please help!
4 REPLIES 4

sadwallaby
Level 7
Also if it is network related, I can't install or update drivers for "Internet access server"
http://192.168.1.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml

No idea what this is.

ColonelS
Level 9
What do you mean by the computer would not actually update?

Like nothing booting up after the restart like no percentage showing notebook is updating?
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

dstrakele
Level 14
sadwallaby wrote:
I just received my new G74S, and everything was running perfectly well.

... Googling them tells me it's a network problem, but I've had hard drive and boot issues since getting this computer.

Your 2 comments above are contradictory. Did you have no issues at all when you got the computer - or did you have issues right out of the box? It's a critical distinction, because if you did have issues from the start, you may wish to attempt to return or exchange your laptop.

From what retailer did you purchase this machine and on what date? What is their return policy?

If you had problems right out of the box, I would perform an ASUS Factory Restore and test the system in that state to see if it has any issues. If you encoounter issues in this factory-fresh state and if you are within the return period for your retailer, I would then contact them and say you would like to exchange this defective laptop for a new unit. If they tell you to contact ASUS and RMA the system, tell them you wish to return the laptop to them for a refund. Once you RMA to ASUS, the problems with your laptop are YOUR problems.

If you don't encounter any issues after the factory restore, you're golden and have at it!

If you are beyond the return date, and don't wish to attempt a factory restore, you can attempt to troubleshoot the issue further and possibly repair your current installation. Here is an article discussing a similar issue with some potential solutions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/the-semaphore-timeout-period-has-e...

If I was in your situation, I would probably start with Method 4. I suspect disk corruption in your case. It is possible your Ethernet or WLAN drivers are also corrupted, resulting in the network error you report.

If chkdsk [drive letter] /f /r on your partitions still leaves you with problems, my choice would be to perform a clean Windows 7 installation (rather than the ASUS Factory Restore) and install the necessary drivers for your system. There are links to these more recent drivers in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread in this forum.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ColonelS
Level 9
Thanks dstra for the detail clarification
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page