cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on possible problems, q-code 0d

Mr_Smiley
Level 7
Salutations everyone.

Here is a little backstory before I actually state the problem, so people can understand what I did:
I bought the board, a Ryzen 1700x and some corsair vengeance 2400mhz 2x8.
I didn't have to buy a gpu due to already having one; a gigabyte 7970, which takes on everything I've thrown at it. I have a Rosewill 1000w 80+ gold standard. And my storage is a brand spanking new samsung 960 evo m.2. My cpu cooler is a corsair h50 which I don't have the AM4 bracket, but I managed to jimmy it in by screwing oppoaite ends in with just enough pressure so it's not loose, and not too tight with the original bracket.

So once I throw all the parts together I start it all up and I get this q-code b2, and seeing as it's my first time with a ROG board i decide to look it up. First answer I find is that external usb peripherals could be causing interference, and what do yiu know My logitech mouse and keyboard are usbs, so i unplug them boot it up and it all starts up wonderfully. I reach the bios screen and everything looks fine, I don't raise or lower anything due to hearing board isn't so OC friendly right out of the box, which is fine by me since I wait a bit for updates anyway. I restart and same problem easy fix by unplugging mouse and keyboard and then replugging them after i put in my Windows 10 64bit pro disc in the tray and proceed to restart and then install windows 10 on my 250 gb ssd. This time I didn't need to unplug my mouse and keyboard oddly enough, and it went through the installation lickity split. Computer reboots and starts windows normally and everything is fine, so I proceed to plug my ethernet cable in to check that it works for a couple seconds and then take out the windows disc and throw in the motherboard disc to install anything that might be on it. Installation is fine up until the necessary restart at the end.

The problem is it doesn't restart, my monitor doesn't receive a signal. So I'm looking at the q-code and it has the white light on and say 24. So i reseat my ram thinking that's the problem, but nope. I try putting my two stocks in different slots thinking it wpuld work but same thing. It finally works when I just put one stick in the A1 slot and leave it, computer goes through a longer startup and then after a bunch of code 24 I fet a new code, 0d with the vga light and a tiny green light next to that one. So I reseat my gpu and find a DVI cable to use for my card, but no luck. I even tried the other pcie slots without luck.

I tried then to clear my CMOS with the hold for 3 seconds and release on the back of the board. Same code appears. So I remembered that people highly recommended flashing the bios to the 0902 update and I did. I downloaded to the usb, renamed to C6H.CAP and then jacked in the usb into the correct slot, while unplugging my usb mouse and keyboard. I hold the bios button for 3 to 5 seconds until it starts flashing blue, and it's steadily doing the update with the blue light flashing faster than it did in the beginning and then slowing down after a minute or two and then finally stop. I deemed it a success because I didn't get a short few second flashing like I've read can happen with a bricked board.

I start up after the 0902 update and I still get the 0d q-code with the vga white light and the tiny green light next to it static. No signal on my monitor so I'm unable to get to the bios screen, hdmi cord and dvi cords both attempted. And so I proceed to look online and I've read for some people a fix was updating to the new bios released by Elmor, the 1001 version, and so I tried that too and update goes smoothly like the previous flashing, but still getting that same 0d code. The next thing I've read being a "magical" fix for some people is taking all the parts out and reinstalling them, but I've yet to do that due to a lack of thermal paste which I'll be picking up soon when I'm able to go to a store.

Does anyone have any suggestiona for the 0d q-code which seems to not be leaving me?
I'm mainly looking for suggestions since a fool proof 100% solution doesn't seem to be a thing with this board.
Also please be patient with me as I am typing all this on my phone and it has a tiny keyboard, so if i make a grammar or spelling mistake, it's due to that.
10 REPLIES 10

Tom71
Level 7
Mr.Smiley wrote:
Salutations everyone.

Here is a little backstory before I actually state the problem, so people can understand what I did:
I didn't have to buy a gpu due to already having one; a gigabyte 7970, which takes on everything I've thrown at it. I have a Rosewill 1000w 80+ gold standard. And my storage is a brand spanking new samsung 960 evo m.2. My cpu cooler is a corsair h50 which I don't have the AM4 bracket, but I managed to jimmy it in by screwing oppoaite ends in with just enough pressure so it's not loose, and not too tight with the original bracket.

So once I throw all the parts together I start it all up and I get this q-code b2, and seeing as it's my first time with a ROG board i decide to look it up. First answer I find is that external usb peripherals could be causing interference, and what do yiu know My logitech mouse and keyboard are usbs, so i unplug them boot it up and it all starts up wonderfully. I reach the bios screen and everything looks fine, I don't raise or lower anything due to hearing board isn't so OC friendly right out of the box, which is fine by me since I wait a bit for updates anyway. I restart and same problem easy fix by unplugging mouse and keyboard and then replugging them after i put in my Windows 10 64bit pro disc in the tray and proceed to restart and then install windows 10 on my 250 gb ssd. This time I didn't need to unplug my mouse and keyboard oddly enough, and it went through the installation lickity split. Computer reboots and starts windows normally and everything is fine, so I proceed to plug my ethernet cable in to check that it works for a couple seconds and then take out the windows disc and throw in the motherboard disc to install anything that might be on it. Installation is fine up until the necessary restart at the end.

The problem is it doesn't restart, my monitor doesn't receive a signal. So I'm looking at the q-code and it has the white light on and say 24. So i reseat my ram thinking that's the problem, but nope. I try putting my two stocks in different slots thinking it wpuld work but same thing. It finally works when I just put one stick in the A1 slot and leave it, computer goes through a longer startup and then after a bunch of code 24 I fet a new code, 0d with the vga light and a tiny green light next to that one. So I reseat my gpu and find a DVI cable to use for my card, but no luck. I even tried the other pcie slots without luck.

I tried then to clear my CMOS with the hold for 3 seconds and release on the back of the board. Same code appears. So I remembered that people highly recommended flashing the bios to the 0902 update and I did. I downloaded to the usb, renamed to C6H.CAP and then jacked in the usb into the correct slot, while unplugging my usb mouse and keyboard. I hold the bios button for 3 to 5 seconds until it starts flashing blue, and it's steadily doing the update with the blue light flashing faster than it did in the beginning and then slowing down after a minute or two and then finally stop. I deemed it a success because I didn't get a short few second flashing like I've read can happen with a bricked board.

I start up after the 0902 update and I still get the 0d q-code with the vga white light and the tiny green light next to it static. No signal on my monitor so I'm unable to get to the bios screen, hdmi cord and dvi cords both attempted. And so I proceed to look online and I've read for some people a fix was updating to the new bios released by Elmor, the 1001 version, and so I tried that too and update goes smoothly like the previous flashing, but still getting that same 0d code. The next thing I've read being a "magical" fix for some people is taking all the parts out and reinstalling them, but I've yet to do that due to a lack of thermal paste which I'll be picking up soon when I'm able to go to a store.

Does anyone have any suggestiona for the 0d q-code which seems to not be leaving me?
I'm mainly looking for suggestions since a fool proof 100% solution doesn't seem to be a thing with this board.
Also please be patient with me as I am typing all this on my phone and it has a tiny keyboard, so if i make a grammar or spelling mistake, it's due to that.

I get that code everytime I unplug the computer or anything from the usb slots. What fixes it for me is I use the start button on the MB and it cycles a few times then finally kicks in.

Tom71
Level 7
Mr.Smiley wrote:
Salutations everyone.

I get that code and no monitor/keyboard everytime I turn off comp and either unplug power cord or anything from usb on my CH. What finally gets it to cycle a few times and finally kick over is using the start button on the MB.

Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't tried using the start button on the mobo before. So I just sat here turning it on and off through the button on the mobo, and keep getting q-code 0d.

I don't understand how it can work at one time and then all together just not.

Mr.Smiley wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't tried using the start button on the mobo before. So I just sat here turning it on and off through the button on the mobo, and keep getting q-code 0d.

I don't understand how it can work at one time and then all together just not.

The start button on the MB is what usually boots it for me. The board is just buggy at the moment. Once its actually on though its works well except for the fact I cannot get my Trident RGB memory to show up in the Aura software, so I'm stuck with a rainbow. I'm just not going to unplug the computer or mess with any USB ports until a better bios comes out. Hopefully you can get yours to boot eventually.

When I was building, I was getting 0d when my system started up but I had not yet installed windows. Seemed like a boot failure code.
Playing around with my video cable and monitor settings got me past it, as the system itself was just sitting at the BIOS. If I recall correctly, all I really did was swap around the display port the monitor cable was plugged into.

I also had my CPU fans plugged in a way that the BIOS wasn't getting a speed reading from them and saw them as zero RPM. May not be related at all, but I corrected that at about the same time as well.

I had the same q-code that stopped me from booting.
After some research it is my understanding that the q-code 0d is a general error code about a component not working correctly, in my case it was a broken stick of ram, once I removed it everything worked just fine.

Hope it helps

BaneSilvermoon
Level 7
Mr.Smiley wrote:
with the vga white light and the tiny green light next to it static.

Are you referring to the QLED lights here? My understanding is that those should only remain on when the post check is encountering an error when it gets to that component.

That said, the extreme overclocking guide seems to indicate that 0d could be related to RAM.
"F9(→0d) DRAM Training failed. Note that 0d is also displayed during final POST before boot."

0d basically mean your ram is not working/oc failed. Clean cmos and try again. Check the ram oc data and you should have an overall idea how high your ram kit can get.