cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which motherboard should I choose?!?!

dryii
Level 7
I've been pondering which motherboard I should pick for days now. I've a Sabertooth (TUF) P67 right now and it's been great, so I'm really torn on which Z270 I should buy. If any of you have thoughts or opinions on the TUF Z270 Mark I compared the Maximus IX (Hero, Code, Formula... Extreme!) line I'd love to hear them. So many great options.
5 REPLIES 5

Zka17
Level 16
What do you want to use the computer for?
Will you be using it built in a case or a testbench?
What storage are you planning for?
How many graphics cards?

Zka17 wrote:
What do you want to use the computer for?

It's my daily PC. Lot's of gaming.

Zka17 wrote:
Will you be using it built in a case or a testbench?

I have a Thermaltake Level 10 GT which I love and will probably use to start. I am considering a new case.
In the end the system is under my desk and nobody will really see it... but I'll know how cool it looks! 😉

Zka17 wrote:
What storage are you planning for?

Samsung 960 PRO 512GB, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB, and a couple Seagate BarraCuda 6TB.

Zka17 wrote:
How many graphics cards?

One GTX 1080 for now. Might upgrade to a 1080Ti in the near future.

I have a Corsair H100i v2 for my current CPU and that will transfer to the new build. While the Extreme would be awesome I've ruled it out for now as I'm not ready for a custom loop at this time. The Formula would be pretty nice if I planed to build a custom loop in the future and has the ROG armor. The Hero is looking very solid, and if I want Wifi step up to the Code. My biggest hesitation on the TUF is that the board doesn't have the enhanced sound included with the Maximus IX (but would I really notice?).

Nate152
Hi dryii

I went with the Maximus IX Code, it's basically a Maximus IX Formula minus the EK Crosschill block, backplate, integrated I/O panel and some lighting on the motherboard.

The Extreme does look sweet with the built in motherboard water block with RGB lighting.

Here is the Maximus IX Code in the dark. 🙂

I like the Sabertooth boards a lot so since you've enjoyed one for a few years why change? Plus, while the RoG boards are great all around boards they are more for the OC'rs and tweekers.

Zka17
Level 16
My first choice would be Sabertooth... then the Code...
I would stay out of trouble and not go higher than 3600MHz on memory... maybe with a 7700...
Stucking the case under a desk may have its problems... you want good airflow... specially if you mount that H100 on the top...