cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VIII Bios Update problem

Wowerus
Level 7
I am trying to update my BIOS as I am having trouble with some devices and was told to update. Once I had updated to the most recent at the time (2202) I only got a black screen. I downloaded an older version and the PC started. I am looking into trying to update once more and was wondering before I do what can cause the black screen problem. I am updating using the USB BIOS flashback utility. I am following the manual.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
It could be because it's not flashing properly.

1) Format an empty usb flash drive to FAT.32
2) Download the bios file from the asus support center
3) Extract the bios file to the usb flash drive
4) Rename the bios file to M8H.CAP
5) Insert the flashdrive into the ROG Connect port
6) Press and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to flash then release. The flashing should get faster and faster then stop, the update process should take around 90 seconds to complete
7) When flashing stops, Start your pc

Will try it out! Thanks. I am actually using the Maximum as your guide shows. Will write back after I have done it.

Nate152 wrote:
It could be because it's not flashing properly.

1) Format an empty usb flash drive to FAT.32
2) Download the bios file from the asus support center
3) Extract the bios file to the usb flash drive
4) What motherboard are you using? As an exapmle the Maximus VIII Formula would get renamed to M8F.CAP
5) Insert the flashdrive into the ROG Connect port
6) Press and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to flash then release. The flashing should get faster and faster then stop, the update process should take around 90 seconds to complete
7) When flashing stops, Start your pc

I get the same thing. My screens do not start after bios update.. I did however use M8H instead as the manual say ot should be that.

Nate152
Yes rename the file to M8H.CAP sorry about that.

Try updating to bios version 3101.

Nate152 wrote:
Try updating to bios version 3101.

I am a bit afraid of updating as it seems to be harder every time for me to get the computer to start afterwards. Aka downgrade it back.
I will however try later because right now some friends and I are going to play.

But should I continue with the USB BIOS flashback way or should I try booting into UEFI updating from there?
I read that I might need to press the CMOS reset and when the update is complete let the computer boot for a couple minutes for it to start completely.

Nate152
Yes clear the cmos before updating the bios and use the bios flashback feature.

Just to clarify fully.

1. Shutdown computer.
2. Open Case and press Clear CMOS button.
3. Insert USB including M8H.cap file in root dir
4. Press Flash button and let it flash blue until it turn of
5. Start computer and gaze on updated bios.

Wowerus
Level 7
Hello. I finally did this and my computer is dead, well it feels like that. I have tried reverting it back to the old Bios but even that does not work now.

When booting the computer I get d0 qcode now. If I press the MemOK I get to Bios. I have searched on the web and most talk about RMA.

Update: Tinkered and did everything more times. Got it to boot when using the 2002 Bios Version.

So I did manage to save the computer but can not update bios anyway.