cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Evo 960 M.2 SSD not recognized in GL753VD [solved]

EeqMC2
Level 7
Hey everyone,
I just bought an Asus GL753VD-GC009 Notebook without an M.2 SSD because I wanted to install a faster one myself. The handbook and vendor both said, that this model supports NVMe (and someone mentioned having a NVMe SDD installed in another thread), so I ordered an Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD with 250GB capacity. The installation itself was quite easy since the handbook has an installation guide which even points out where to find a hidden screw for the cover. There is a correct M.2 key M slot for the 960 Evo, so I plugged it in and secured it with a screw.
The problem is that the SSD does not get recognized by the system, neither in the BIOS nor during the Windows 10 installation.
What I tried so far is:
-updating the BIOS to the newest version (302)
-disabling secure boot and fast boot
-loading the pure Samsung drivers from here
http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html
during the Windows installation in the partitioning step. But they are not shown if one sets the checkmark for only displaying drivers that are compatible and installing them has no effect
-booting Windows and installing the Samsung NVMe drivers, which fails because it says that no NVMe device was detected. In Windows 10 the SSD does not show up in the device manager or Windows explorer either

Since some people seem to have similar problems with the GL752 models I hope someone here might know what to do.

Here is a HWINFO report with my system information:
http://pastebin.com/iGX9vvNE
10 REPLIES 10

Taker
Level 7
Hello. i have a NVMe SSD in mine, it works. I installed it and initialized it in Windows Disk management. Windows does not "see" it until initialized. Does Disk management (Create and format hard disk) recognize it?

No, only the HDD and the DVD drive are shown.

Which version of the notebook do you have? The GL753VD-DS71 can be bought online with an NVME SSD. Mine (the GL753VD-GC009) is the German version, though.

In Disk management DVD drives don't appear. Just press Start icon and type Create and format hard disk partitions, Enter and check if it appears there. I have a GL753VD-GC042T, separately purchased Patriot hellfire 240 GB M.2 SSD.

Julskey
Level 10
Have you tried to disable raid mode in bios? If you dont use raid, just use ahci in your sata mode. The nvme drive will use win10 native drivers and will have no degraded performance.*

It does not show up under "create and format hard disk partitions" either, I tried that one already.

I didn't find any BIOS options regarding raid mode. At "advanced - SATA Configuaration - SATA Mode Selection" the only option available is AHCI, which is therefore chosen by default.

In that case I would reinstall (physically remove and place back) the SSD as a last resort and if it won't work then send it back to change it. It may be damaged (or the laptop's PCIe port doesn't work.) I don't have any other idea.

It turned out that the M.2 slot on the notebook was broken. The vendor replaced it and now it works fine. The SSD shows up in the BIOS after plugging it in. So both the Samsung SSD and NVMe are supported.

EeqMC2 wrote:
It turned out that the M.2 slot on the notebook was broken. The vendor replaced it and now it works fine. The SSD shows up in the BIOS after plugging it in. So both the Samsung SSD and NVMe are supported.

This threads could help me, i just have bought GL753VD-GC003T and samsung 960 evo 250. It will arrive on monday, i hope there was no problem to install it.
Has notebook screw to place ssd?

Have you any tips to configure bios?

Thank you

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

Warboy
Level 7
I have a slightly different problem, Bios does not recognize it but Windows does, so the SSD is not a bootable drive 😐 ASUS refuses to help me since it's a "upgrade via third-party"