cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Creators Update 15063 & GL702VM Problem

U2Desire
Level 7
I just upgraded but I am having following problem:
With Close lid action set to do nothing, but upon opening lid again screen is blank/black. Computer is still running (you can hear music and instant messenger sounds and such) but the screen is gone. Ctrl-Alt-Del etc... does nothing I have to hold power button to shutdown. I also updated my NVidia 1060 drivers in case they were causing the issue. I tried putting it to sleep to avoid hard reboot but that does nothing and I still need to hard reboot.
21 REPLIES 21

JustinThyme
Level 13
Unstable preview build. I tried it on a desktop and rolled it back and still have issues. Clean install as soon as I get the time.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I tweeted to #WindowsInsiders with my issue and said I hope this isn't RTM but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be RTM. I will hold off on a clean install until I after release day and hopefully it won't be RTM or they will put out a CU on release day that solves the problem.
I on another note have noticed Event 15 Warning in my logs under System section "The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS." these events have been present in pre-anniversary, Anniversary and now release preview of Creator's update. I think this problem will require a bios update to fix.

JustinThyme
Level 13
No way this could be RTM. This this buggy as hell. Too many people reporting the same issues, especially display problems.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
No way this could be RTM. This this buggy as hell. Too many people reporting the same issues, especially display problems.

I have the same problem. Black screen after hibernation. Only a hard restart helps. And also the fans are always at the maximum.

So I decided to NOT do a clean install and instead install to a VHD to test Creator's Update with a clean install everything is fine for me, I can close the lid and open it and everything was fine until... Windows downloaded the NVidia 1060 drivers than back to frozen blank screen after closing and opening the lid causing me to have to force a reboot.
The only other bug I found myself in CU was you can double click on Windows Defender icon to open Defender from Taskbar.

Having issues installing the Creator Update on my GL502VS..
When you reboot gets stuck at BIOS. And restart later to the old version.
This is the error i get

0xc1900101 - 0x20017 the installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during BOOT operation
And i did a clean installation, and installed all the latest drivers and still no way around it...
help !!!!!!!!

U2Desire wrote:
So I decided to NOT do a clean install and instead install to a VHD to test Creator's Update with a clean install everything is fine for me, I can close the lid and open it and everything was fine until... Windows downloaded the NVidia 1060 drivers than back to frozen blank screen after closing and opening the lid causing me to have to force a reboot.
The only other bug I found myself in CU was you can double click on Windows Defender icon to open Defender from Taskbar.

Yes. I guess it is caused by Windows 10 updating Nvidia driver. I hit this when I uninstall it, then everything turned black.

This is what I did to recover Windows to a workable state:
1) Use a USB bootable disk made from Windows 10 ISO
2) Boot with the USB disk
3) Select "system reset" or "restore to a recover point"

This will lose some configurations for sure. If you choose "restore to a recover point", you may notice severe performance issue on Windows. Do a system reset again and start from scratch.

eaglet123
Level 7
U2Desire wrote:
I just upgraded but I am having following problem:
With Close lid action set to do nothing, but upon opening lid again screen is blank/black. Computer is still running (you can hear music and instant messenger sounds and such) but the screen is gone. Ctrl-Alt-Del etc... does nothing I have to hold power button to shutdown. I also updated my NVidia 1060 drivers in case they were causing the issue. I tried putting it to sleep to avoid hard reboot but that does nothing and I still need to hard reboot.

I encountered the same problem on my G752VS.

Installed the Creators Update on April 11th with the GeForce 378.92 driver.

Did you find some solutions later on?

Leader2light
Level 7
Same issue. Black screen after closing and opening lid. Also latest nvidia drivers wont install.