cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ Cable problem upgrading Nvidia GTX 960 (6 pin connector) to GTX 1070 (8 pin)

Dweagar
Level 7
I am working on upgrading my ASUS ROG G20AJ from its existing Nvidia GTX 960 (6 pin connector) to a Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition (8 pin connector).

In the existing configuration (GTX 960), both connectors require a 6 pin cable, which I have. The upgraded configuration requires an 8 pin on each end, which I do not have. I procured a set of cables "power cables" from Micro Center, but those do not work. Well, correction, I have a 6+2 to 8 pin connector that works on the 6+2 side only, but not the 8 pin on the other side.

As a follow on.. is it possible to power a GPU off a SATA power connector? I have seen cables that will do SATA to 8 pin.

So talking through this, it seems the answer would be a 6+2 (male) to 6+2 (male) cable would be the answer, but I dont know where I would get one.

Can anyone point me to where I would find a cable that would allow me to connect to from the 8 pin female on the GPU to the 8 pin female on the motherboard?
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
You cant run the GPU thought the motherboard or SATA power. Dont even have a modular power supply.
The only hope you have is to modify the connection you have as the extra two are duplicated pins. From the sound of your post and level of experience you would be better off buying a machine that was made to be upgraded.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
Dweagar wrote:
I am working on upgrading my ASUS ROG G20AJ from its existing Nvidia GTX 960 (6 pin connector) to a Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition (8 pin connector).

In the existing configuration (GTX 960), both connectors require a 6 pin cable, which I have. The upgraded configuration requires an 8 pin on each end, which I do not have. I procured a set of cables "power cables" from Micro Center, but those do not work. Well, correction, I have a 6+2 to 8 pin connector that works on the 6+2 side only, but not the 8 pin on the other side.

As a follow on.. is it possible to power a GPU off a SATA power connector? I have seen cables that will do SATA to 8 pin.

So talking through this, it seems the answer would be a 6+2 (male) to 6+2 (male) cable would be the answer, but I dont know where I would get one.

Can anyone point me to where I would find a cable that would allow me to connect to from the 8 pin female on the GPU to the 8 pin female on the motherboard?

this link is for the uk ebay, but it says it does Free international shipping so worth asking to whatever country your from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8pin-pcie-GPU-Video-Card-Cable-for-Asus-G20-ROG-Power-Supply-30cm-Shakmods...