cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 insider mistake

JustinThyme
Level 13
I read around a bit and saw many posts that said the latest build of the creators edition 15063 was to be RTM. Well if it is hold on to your seats.

I made the mistake of signing up and installing the build. While it had some cool features it had some messed up side effects.

Stared with OpenCl.dll missing, reinstall the graphics drivers then GPU tweak doesnt want to work. Performance took a serious hit with a 1000 point drop in 3D marks FS Ultra. Then I note that WMI services is at a steady 10% CPU load. Stop the restart took care of that but the performance was still lacking. Run Realbench and got the worst scores ever, 116K when my next lowest with a 6700K was at 154K. First portion being photo editing that normally took less than 20 seconds was taking 58 seconds!

Edge became a hijacker. No matter the browser its pops up an Edge ad when you open anything else and couldn't get rid of it!
Some nice features with grouping the start tiles and a different look in the settings UI.

Needless to say after a day of that I rolled it back. Something thats left behind is messing with my grahics and power profiles. Cant get the same OC out of my 1080s and even in power saving my CPU stays toward the top of the range only throttling down if I leave it to go completely Idle.

Leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks to teach an electronics class at URI engineering but upon my return it will be a fresh install to get all that crap out.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152

JustinThyme
Level 13
Only reason I had even bothered was reading that it was RTM so I figured it must be ready. NOPE!
Once upon a time in a land far away......
I actually used to admin the technology area of a forum, The big draw was code name "Longhorn". That was probably the most progressive windows update ever and took a long time just to be released prematurely as Vista. Had a test bed for that which was also among the fist 64 bit machines. I had a folding farm with a closet full of 20 motherboards all sitting on shelves doing a network boot from a single server and remote login. I had it set up where I could log into the server of the farm and see what each individual client was doing. Then came the day I shut it all down. They sell the FAH program as searching for a cure through distributed computing. Not going to go too deep into it but that's not what its about, its a continuing thesis project that gets handed down. I found out when my elaborate farm sat idle for several days. couldn't ping the FAH server to get new projects. I contacted Stanford university FAH lab (took several more days to get a response) and their server had been down. They didnt know it and they didn't seem overly concerned telling me that its only for limited experiment projects and as such is not monitored nor does it have primary funding. THIS is what you are supporting, Thesis papers for people to finish their degrees. Then they all move on and don't continue work in the field.

I still like to dabble but dont invest as much time or resources into it. I don't have a dedicated test bed, I bought a 5th wheel RV instead!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

chilinmichael
Level 10
It's nice to get away to the woods and enjoy nature!

That being said, I too had tried Longhorn and many other "beta" programs over the years, even did Windows 10 Insider for a while. Working in the IT industry, as years have gone on, I've realized when I get home the last thing I need is more issues to resolve lol. That being said, I've unsigned myself from that program and run strictly on what is released to public.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.