Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

PC randomly freezing or rebooting maximus VIII hero

Okay so i built this system in march 2016
    I've been getting random freezes, and I mean they are really random, for example some days it wont happen at all (I don't leave my PC on all day), but rarely more than once a day.
    my PC just randomly freezes or sometimes it reboots (it is set to stay off after a power loss)
    I ran memtest 86 for like 16 hours (8 and a half full passes) with no errors.
    I also reseated the graphics card and the ram modules and cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol.
    Before I updated to an SSD the freezes would make a loud noise but now it just reboots or freezes without noise, it can happen while gaming and when web browsing (which is what I use my system for)
    I don't know if it has happened on idle since usually when its idling I'm not on the PC and since it reboots itself I cant tell if it happened (I could check the event log every time I come back to the PC but I haven't)
    I even manually put the ram frequency back to 2133 ( default is 2400) and it kept happening. I also upped the Dram voltage manually from 1.2 to 1.22 and it kept happening
    Right now I have all frequencies on default. (Temps seem to be fine too)
    I did noticed that when I updated to a bios (cant remember the number but it was the one that was pulled down from the site) it happened more frequently so I assume it has something to do with either bios settings or the MOBO in general
    Also sometimes it wont boot showing qcode 02 or b4, but after rebooting the system it works fine
    my rig is the following
    Windows 10 pro
    i7 6700k
    maximus viii hero
    gigabyte g1 gaming 980ti
    seasonic X-850W
    corsair h110 watercooler
    (2x8) gigs crucial ballistix sport BLS8G4D240FSA.16FA
    Last edited by guarizapo; 02-24-2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added info

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

If you've reverted back to the previous BIOS and are using default values as a starting point with no OC at all I would be looking at the OS. Normally it's not a problem but when we go to tweaking it's not out of the question to botch the kernel.*

ROG Member Array

When switching to an SSD I did a clean windows install
    Unless I screwed up twice I dont think the os is the issue (or it could be but its been happening even before applying multiple updates and whatnot)
    Btw I forgot to mention I am using windows 10 pro*

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Are you using a single memory kit? And have you tested your system at stock defaults?

ROG Member Array

Yes I am using a single memory kit and currently I'm running everything in default and it keeps happening
    I just updated to the latest bios (3201) but as I said Its so random that it may take a while to know if this bios update fixed it
    I will update the thread whatever the result of the bios update is
    Thanks for the quick replies

UPDATE: It keeps happening
    any ideas?
    Last edited by guarizapo; 02-24-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Update

ROG Member Array

Okay im gonna test with one memory module
    BTW it just happened twice an hour appart with the new bios so I dont know if the new bios is more unstable
    I will update after I test with a single module

ROG Member Array

Okay so far it hasn't rebooted or freezed yet with a single stick
    gonna use it for a bit longer like this just to double check
    So what should I do?
    Is the ram busted?
    Should I buy new ram?
    I had tested before with memtest for a full 8 passes (like 16 hours) and it showed no errors
    Last edited by guarizapo; 02-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.

ROG Member Array

[QUOTE=guarizapo;634432]Okay so i built this system in march 2016
    I've been getting random freezes, and I mean they are really random, for example some days it wont happen at all (I don't leave my PC on all day), but rarely more than once a day.
    my PC just randomly freezes or sometimes it reboots (it is set to stay off after a power loss)
    I ran memtest 86 for like 16 hours (8 and a half full passes) with no errors....

I had the same problem and further it got worse .... Now I PC to the RMA and the result of faulty CPU I7 6700K

ROG Member Array

I was thinking that it could be the mobo or the cpu since I tested the ram kit on a different pc with a gigabyte mobo and an i5 6600k, and no reboots or freezes whatsoever
    I will test the next days by swapping the cpus and see if it starts happening on the *gigabyte mobo, and that should narrow down the issue to either the cpu or the mobo
    Does anyone have any info on how to rma a cpu from a foreign country (Chile)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast